| OT I wonder what it's like to be a kid when your dad is Coach DeBoer, or Coach Oats. What are you thinking?

TerryP

Staff
Saban came from the NFL. So, I would think that his two kids were a little "used to" the attention spotlight.

I can't escape the question of what DeBoer's kids thought when he said, "I'm thinking about taking the Bama job."

What did Oats kids think with the same question? Buffalo to Bama is one thing. The difference in their lifestyle, another. What does a kid think when their dad is coaching high school basketball and then, a few years later, is making millions?

DeBoer is in living in the house across from Saban. What does a kid think in the morning, eating breakfast, looking at where they are?

This ramble leads me back to John Mark. So oblivious to what the pressure was for his dad...but good lord did he have fun.

I'll bet it is just a difference in lifestyles. I spend A LOT of time outside. Mornings on the patio (west side of the house) afternoons on the deck (East side.) Low 80's right now is my guess...I'll shut the windows on the house in a few hours and turn on the AC. Right now, don't need to. While it's a little warm, there's a nice sea breeze this morning.
If it gets to 70 inside the ac better be on

If it gets to 70 inside the ac better be on
You're on the left coast, right? I seem to recall your IP banging off servers in CO. It's all about where you are.

I've played golf in OK in the summer in 100 degree temps and didn't break a sweat because it felt like the 80's here Okay, a little ...

A long sleeved T-shirt is comfortable right now...all because of the sea breeze.

You're on the left coast, right? I seem to recall your IP banging off servers in CO. It's all about where you are.

I've played golf in OK in the summer in 100 degree temps and didn't break a sweat because it felt like the 80's here Okay, a little ...

A long sleeved T-shirt is comfortable right now...all because of the sea breeze.
I'm in Montana for this summer, was in Cali last year. We move every week or 2 in the summer usually. It's definitely a different feeling out here, I get hot at lower temps but the humidity isn't bad at all and I've hunted out here and wore a lot less clothing at lower temps and stayed warm. When we're in Key West I get cool in the 60s with the sea breeze. I generally keep it about 68 inside wherever I am though.

I'll bet it is just a difference in lifestyles. I spend A LOT of time outside. Mornings on the patio (west side of the house) afternoons on the deck (East side.) Low 80's right now is my guess...I'll shut the windows on the house in a few hours and turn on the AC. Right now, don't need to. While it's a little warm, there's a nice sea breeze this morning.

Might. U are managing urs very well. Could be u aren't married!!!!! Ms50+ likes it cool lol

She was gone for week n i upped it to 78. I was comfortable snd outside 90-80% of waking day....

We didn't have a/c in central Alabama most of growing up. Survived it!!! Lol

Might. U are managing urs very well. Could be u aren't married!!!!! Ms50+ likes it cool lol

She was gone for week n i upped it to 78. I was comfortable snd outside 90-80% of waking day....

We didn't have a/c in central Alabama most of growing up. Survived it!!!

After we finally got an ac that wasn't a window unit in my folks bedroom, my dad's rule was he only turned the ac on June thru August. Didn't matter if it was 92 on the last day of May or first day of September he wouldn't turn it on. He also kept in on around 80 so wasn't ever really cool but he said 80 should feel good if it's 95 outside. Since I left home I said I'll be hungry before I sweat inside my house again. Like 69 or so in the daytime and 65 at night.

There are A LOT of things in my life that boil down to, "you are not married." It's the absolute truth. Think about it...IF I were married it might be a little difficult to say, "I'm blowing off work tonight to go fishing for redfish." I may be wrong...depends on the woman, but not many will say, "good luck."

@Krimson you ever thought about what life was like around here when there wasn't a such thing as AC? Some of the old plantation homes around here still don't have AC: but remain fairly cool in the middle of August.

There's a member here that was in Charleston last summer and made the comment about how he and his wife "melted" when walking around downtown. I just put down about 8 miles on my bike and barely broke a sweat. Adaptation.

There are several reasons I moved here...one of them being, I like it hot. 🙃

There are A LOT of things in my life that boil down to, "you are not married." It's the absolute truth. Think about it...IF I were married it might be a little difficult to say, "I'm blowing off work tonight to go fishing for redfish." I may be wrong...depends on the woman, but not many will say, "good luck."

@Krimson you ever thought about what life was like around here when there wasn't a such thing as AC? Some of the old plantation homes around here still don't have AC: but remain fairly cool in the middle of August.

There's a member here that was in Charleston last summer and made the comment about how he and his wife "melted" when walking around downtown. I just put down about 8 miles on my bike and barely broke a sweat. Adaptation.

Oh yeah, my grandmother lived next door in clarke County alabama and she never had ac.i spent many a day on the porch with her. She'd go outside for coffee and pretty much stay there till dark most days, sometimes we'd go inside to watch the price is right or Gunsmoke. Virginia was my first duty station and I can remember most there complaining about how hot it was, it was nice to me because of what I was used to. After 4 years there I went to Pensacola, first summer back was brutal. I try to chase 70s now and I'm older so I know summer in bama would suck. My wife and I have about decided if we ever settle down we need 2 houses.

Oh yeah, my grandmother lived next door in clarke County alabama and she never had ac.i spent many a day on the porch with her.
In my circle of friends, it's all we do. After I got out of the bar business, it's all we do. The only time we go into a 'bar' anymore is to shoot pool. No kidding here. I'm a solid 5, APA. Dennis is an 8, Dustin a 7, Carol an 8. We used to have a blast playing in leagues...BUT, no more. Is it cooler sitting in a bar having a beer than on the patio? Yes and no, because that's a double entendre. . Is it a better atmosphere? Only one answer. Yes.

Because...it's a lot more fun to sit back on a patio, even if it is 90 outside, and just shoot the shit.

And yes, I'm working on my next "bar" plan as we speak...just haven't found the location. It's going to be named, "The Church."

In my circle of friends, it's all we do. After I got out of the bar business, it's all we do. The only time we go into a 'bar' anymore is to shoot pool. No kidding here. I'm a solid 5, APA. Dennis is an 8, Dustin a 7, Carol an 8. We used to have a blast playing in leagues...BUT, no more. Is it cooler sitting in a bar having a beer than on the patio? Yes and no, because that's a double entendre. . Is it a better atmosphere? Only one answer. Yes.

Because...it's a lot more fun to sit back on a patio, even if it is 90 outside, and just shoot the shit.

And yes, I'm working on my next "bar" plan as we speak...just haven't found the location. It's going to be named, "The Church."
I think owning a bar would be something I'd like but then I'm not much on being tied down to something anymore. I've thought about building one kinda like some of the Texas ice houses, pole barn style mostly open so there's no real inside just covered or uncovered. I'm just not sure I could visit one named "the church" though.

I think owning a bar would be something I'd like but then I'm not much on being tied down to something anymore. I've thought about building one kinda like some of the Texas ice houses, pole barn style mostly open so there's no real inside just covered or uncovered. I'm just not sure I could visit one named "the church" though.
To be clear, I was a partner; silent.

Tim and I had this conversation a few years ago about girl he knew that was moving to town. "She has to be comfortable with gambling." I handled all the marketing. My only "demand" was oversight on orders; beer and liquor. (There's a LONG story here including marketing liquor management systems in bars...but, I'll digress.)

Dude. We had people who would drop $1500 to $2000 dollars a day on our machines. We also learned how to hack the machines to control the payouts.

If your next question is "have I been arrested for illegal gambling operations" the answer is yes. More than once. When we had North Park Grill we had a raid on a Sunday morning...led by a guy with SLED who was at our Poker game, Friday. Makes me laughing thinking back about that raid...they found the safe we had the cash in. It was in a straw box. The LEO's were laughing that morning about where it was...saying, "never thought about that."

Oh, anyway...enough reminiscing today.

Yep. Some women are as such. You are very right. I be very lucky in that regard.

My house is also only a year old so very efficient….
I built mine in '92. I've used nature to make it efficient.

IE: I have five Crepe Myrtles on the W side of the house...covering the patio, shielding the sun. Those are five, of eleven, I have around the house. (All of them coming from the plantations on HWY 61 in W. Ashley. I'm looking out the window at a lavender bloom on one that came from Runnymede.)

50+ sort of mentioned this...house, surrounded by shade.

It's pretty cool when you are sitting on your patio shaded by Crepe Myrtles in full bloom.

When it rains? The clean up is a bitch.

Rv park is paying for it, doesn't cost me any extra but it wasn't much different when I was in houses either, damn being hot inside
There's so much about these threads that makes me laugh today.

I have two friends who are tent camping at Santee this week. I'm going to kick off work about two tomorrow morning...drive up, and have breakfast over the campfire with those guys. It'll be fish. Bet ya! 🙃 Here is the problem with knowing people too well.

I think they are after perch tonight. Not sure.

It'll be scrambled eggs with the bass. Grits. Okay, Let me repeat. Scrambled eggs with bass.

Bobby, has got this Harry Potter thing with biscuits over an open flame. I quit asking years ago.

Look. I'm pretty good on the water. I don't want to know what those two have done on the lake this week. I don't.

Bit of a long video....but, yeah, I do this. hahaha...yeah. It's this fun.

There's so much about these threads that makes me laugh today.

I have two friends who are tent camping at Santee this week. I'm going to kick off work about two tomorrow morning...drive up, and have breakfast over the campfire with those guys. It'll be fish. Bet ya! 🙃 Here is the problem with knowing people too well.

I think they are after perch tonight. Not sure.

It'll be scrambled eggs with the bass. Grits. Okay, Let me repeat. Scrambled eggs with bass.

Bobby, has got this Harry Potter thing with biscuits over an open flame. I quit asking years ago.

Look. I'm pretty good on the water. I don't want to know what those two have done on the lake this week. I don't.

Bit of a long video....but, yeah, I do this. hahaha...yeah. It's this fun.

Breakfast on the river was always the best. My dad and I would get up to run trotlines and if my mom was there you could smell the bacon for what seemed like miles on the way back up the river. If she wasn't there we'd do fish, I've even had fish eggs and fish. Miss those mornings on the sandbar.

Breakfast on the river was always the best. My dad and I would get up to run trotlines and if my mom was there you could smell the bacon for what seemed like miles on the way back up the river. If she wasn't there we'd do fish, I've even had fish eggs and fish. Miss those mornings on the sandbar.
This camp site is about 35 yards, or so, from the banks of Lake Marion. Great spot in the far corner of the campground. I would have to look up the number to be sure...Marion is over 110,000 acres of water.

Sandbars...that makes me laugh. There are A LOT of them around here where boats meet up. I was at one on Lake Moultrie last year where a cooler was floating around filled with jello shots...being batted from boat to boat like it was a pool ball. There is one on the Stono River, just past the bridge (Limehouse) that is a MAGNET for .... well, ya know.

The boats are docked on the Cooper...it's a bit of a trip to get to Stono River. We made a decision back in the spring...we're not pulling the tri-toon or the Bayline out of the water just to hit the lakes. It's all kayak this year.

Back
Top Bottom