| FTBL The Good, The Bad and The Ugly vs. Piggies?

I agree the Arkansas receivers can catch the ball but Georgia covered those receivers and shut their offense down. On another subject, in my opinion, Bama’s defensive problems have very little to do with how offenses have changed. The DB’s don’t turn around, fail to communicate and miss assignments … the ILB’s are continually out of position and are absent in run support and the DL have no Alpha’s. This is by far the worst Bama D since Saban arrived and I can’t even imagine how bad they’d be if not for Anderson.
Especially the one that was playing with one arm :p

Good- BY smashing a record that had stood for 50+ years!! Quite possibly could’ve had 600+ yards if not for a few drops!😳 Metchie and Williamson go for almost 200 receiving yards apiece and BRob tacks on 120+ on the ground.

Bad-would someone please slap the shit out of our secondary and tell them to get their ass in gear and get on the same page?

Ugly- what constitutes OPI? Someone please explain it to the officials we had today. 16 got open A SHIT TON by pushing off multiple times!

Good - Seeing Bryce Young have a career day, even with drops, and having Scott Hunter as an Honorary Captain on the day his 52-year record went down. Probably one of the last major offensive categories to fall to a Saban era performance.
Bad - Not being able to put teams away, Drops and fumble directly related to that. I thought there were some really crappy spots that went Arkansas' way.
Ugly - TV blocking out crowd noise. If you were there, you know the crowd was in it, and they were very loud when Bama was on D.

Also, what about that delay of game not call, that lead to the TD! Gray and the guy in the booth tell us if it was or not a foul? He said that if the center is moving the ball, it won't be called. But after the clock with to 00 it took another 2-3 second QB to get the ball?

Good - Seeing Bryce Young have a career day, even with drops, and having Scott Hunter as an Honorary Captain on the day his 52-year record went down. Probably one of the last major offensive categories to fall to a Saban era performance.
Bad - Not being able to put teams away, Drops and fumble directly related to that. I thought there were some really crappy spots that went Arkansas' way.
Ugly - TV blocking out crowd noise. If you were there, you know the crowd was in it, and they were very loud when Bama was on D.
It was definitely the loudest it’s been this season. I noticed watching a replay of the last Bama home game on ESPN that they too somehow muted the crowd noise. A couple of folks on this site criticized the crowd after the game for sitting on our hands and I responded that it wasn’t the case at all. Maybe it has something to do with the new TV press box Danielson said was really “cush” … and it having been moved near midfield? Maybe it’s now enclosed or something? It’s definitely farther away from the student section.

Fire Golding, right?
I’m not by any stretch of the imagination defending PG but it’s not just him. The players bear a fair amount of the responsibility too … right? I mean Saban spends a chunk of every practice with the DB’s so we know coaching isn’t to blame for most of their failings. Of course, I’m not talking about schemes or game planning issues, I’m just talking about mental and physical mistakes by the players. It seems that for whatever reason, a few Bama players are playing up to the standard all game long every game but the vast majority are not. And all know which players fit in which category. All that being said, I still think Bama can win going forward even if some or perhaps most of the wins are ugly. With Young, Williamson, Anderson and Coach Saban, they can still pull it off. It’s been a really strange season so far … that would certainly cap it off!

The Good: Bryce Young and Will Anderson
The Bad: Our defense, and especially the secondary. I almost dread seeing us in 3rd and 4th and long. That guarantees our opponents are going for a long pass, and most of the time they will complete it.
The Ugly: Gary Danielson and the other CBS clown broadcasting with him. Danielson is anti-Bama and makes no effort to hide it.
Praise: Burks, the Arkansas receiver. He played brilliantly although badly injured.

Just a comment. I don't understand how a team can almost beat us when we have so many #1 rated recruiting classes. We have the talent. Arkansas has about zero top 20 recruiting classes for the past 4 years. The blame has to fall on our coaches. Saban has six National Championships to his credit, so I find it difficult to place the blame on him. It has to fall on the shoulders of his assistants, especially the defensive coordinator and the offensive line coach. I am glad this team has made it this far, and I believe we will eek out a victory over the Auburn Tigers. However, I am not sure this 60 year Tide fan can watch the SEC Championship game against Georgia. I believe that game will not be pretty for us. Saban has a way for getting it done. I believe he has quite a job to do to get this team ready for a victory over Georgia

I’m not by any stretch of the imagination defending PG but it’s not just him. The players bear a fair amount of the responsibility too … right? I mean Saban spends a chunk of every practice with the DB’s so we know coaching isn’t to blame for most of their failings. Of course, I’m not talking about schemes or game planning issues, I’m just talking about mental and physical mistakes by the players. It seems that for whatever reason, a few Bama players are playing up to the standard all game long every game but the vast majority are not. And all know which players fit in which category. All that being said, I still think Bama can win going forward even if some or perhaps most of the wins are ugly. With Young, Williamson, Anderson and Coach Saban, they can still pull it off. It’s been a really strange season so far … that would certainly cap it off!

I have criticized our secondary for years. Surtain was amazing and masked a lot by locking down an entire side of the field. Even Marlon Humphrey and Minkah used to get beat deep a lot.

As far as Golding, he's awful. I don't give a darn about his recruiting efforts. Means llittle when you churn out this product. He has final say on who goes out on that field (minus Saban obviously) and it's his job to put that talent in a call to get the job done.

You can't tell me the product on the field is matching the talent we have. We have missed on guys, but this would mean we have missed on a few years of guys. I don't believe that to be the case.

Good- BY smashing a record that had stood for 50+ years!! Quite possibly could’ve had 600+ yards if not for a few drops!😳 Metchie and Williamson go for almost 200 receiving yards apiece and BRob tacks on 120+ on the ground.

Bad-would someone please slap the shit out of our secondary and tell them to get their ass in gear and get on the same page?

Ugly- what constitutes OPI? Someone please explain it to the officials we had today. 16 got open A SHIT TON by pushing off multiple times!
This 👆🏻

I have criticized our secondary for years. Surtain was amazing and masked a lot by locking down an entire side of the field. Even Marlon Humphrey and Minkah used to get beat deep a lot.

As far as Golding, he's awful. I don't give a darn about his recruiting efforts. Means llittle when you churn out this product. He has final say on who goes out on that field (minus Saban obviously) and it's his job to put that talent in a call to get the job done.

You can't tell me the product on the field is matching the talent we have. We have missed on guys, but this would mean we have missed on a few years of guys. I don't believe that to be the case.
Again, I’m not defending PG as Bama’s defenses under him have not been close to being up to Bama standards. However, Saban has said repeatedly that the busts in coverages we’ve been seeing the past few seasons have been mistakes made by players and not due to the play calls. Could Saban have made his defensive schemes too complicated? I mean they’re still his schemes no matter who comes in as DC. The sports talk radio shows in Atlanta have all season been talking about how Smart has simplified his schemes in order to allow his players to play faster. I don’t know that’s in fact true but it sounds legit and the product on the field appears to back that up.

Now you might be right about the player’s talent levels not matching what we see on the field but of the three players you mentioned … all were 5 Star DB’s. Saban hasn’t landed many of them over the past few classes … Kool-Aid and those three are the only ones the past couple of years as far as I can recall. Of course, Bama’s had great DB’s who weren’t 5 Stars or even 4 Stars but unlike in previous years, it doesn’t appear many of the guys now playing will have very high draft prospects. I think we agree a lot more than we disagree on this subject, it’s just I think the players bear some of the blame. Though it’s probably a combination of PG’s failings, scheme difficulties and player issues. Making a change at DC might be the only solution. Do you think Saban will make that change? I don’t recall that he’s ever fired a coordinator since he’s been at Bama.

Again, I’m not defending PG as Bama’s defenses under him have not been close to being up to Bama standards. However, Saban has said repeatedly that the busts in coverages we’ve been seeing the past few seasons have been mistakes made by players and not due to the play calls. Could Saban have made his defensive schemes too complicated? I mean they’re still his schemes no matter who comes in as DC. The sports talk radio shows in Atlanta have all season been talking about how Smart has simplified his schemes in order to allow his players to play faster. I don’t know that’s in fact true but it sounds legit and the product on the field appears to back that up.

Now you might be right about the player’s talent levels not matching what we see on the field but of the three players you mentioned … all were 5 Star DB’s. Saban hasn’t landed many of them over the past few classes … Kool-Aid and those three are the only ones the past couple of years as far as I can recall. Of course, Bama’s had great DB’s who weren’t 5 Stars or even 4 Stars but unlike in previous years, it doesn’t appear many of the guys now playing will have very high draft prospects. I think we agree a lot more than we disagree on this subject, it’s just I think the players bear some of the blame. Though it’s probably a combination of PG’s failings, scheme difficulties and player issues. Making a change at DC might be the only solution. Do you think Saban will make that change? I don’t recall that he’s ever fired a coordinator since he’s been at Bama.

It's hard for me to wrap my mind around it continuously being a difficult scheme. I mean, these guys are some of the brightest minds in the sport and we're expected to believe with all the film, practice, and meetings they haven't been able to find a way to get players to understand it? This is where you have to assess whether your scheme is even effective since you can't seem to run it with high end athletes. I'm also not dumb enough to think the players are 100% innocent here. But they aren't THIS bad.

I'm not so worried about guys being five stars, I was just naming a couple of guys that got scorched at Alabama a number of times, but turn around and are All-Pros in the NFL getting $100M contracts.

Back
Top Bottom