| FTBL šŸˆ Spring Practice - 2019 : A few names are emerging as leaders

Terrell Lewis probably wonā€™t practice again this spring for Alabama.

Alabama will likely sit the redshirt junior outside linebacker for the remainder of spring ball for precautionary reasons as he continues to work back from the torn ACL he suffered last summer, according to sources.

Lewis, who suffered the injury in July, has missed each of the Crimson Tideā€™s last two practices.

If healthy, Lewis could finally have his long-awaited breakout season for the Tide. Lewis, who has missed most of the last two seasons due to injuries, had a preseason first-round draft grade from one of the NFLā€™s scouting services last year before sustaining the ACL injury.

If I remember correctly we did this with Bo Scarbrough just to ensure he made it to the season and could play. Lewis has been through enough practice and will continue to condition to where I don't worry so much about him knowing the playbook and calls.

If I remember correctly we did this with Bo Scarbrough just to ensure he made it to the season and could play. Lewis has been through enough practice and will continue to condition to where I don't worry so much about him knowing the playbook and calls.

Yeah... When it comes to a 5th year dude with multiple serious injuries and spring practice... The juice ain't worth the squeeze. We saw how important that position is last year. Let's keep this man healthy!

GREAT point. Allen, Parks, Latu, Anoma.... And Freshman Harris?! Unless he's starting at MLB?

Regardless, get 2 of those dudes ready to kick ass. RTR
Harris has been working with the OLB's. I was talking with a friend this past weekend and he said, "he's got a long frame." It created a quick flashback to basketball. šŸ˜Ø He's got a really quick jump/first step. He needs some time in S&C but he's said to have that look that he'll "fill out well."

Allen getting a TON of reps these last two practices.

Sal seems really high on what Anoma is bringing. Sal, by nature and direction, is teaching responsibility/assignment and Anoma seems to be really catching on.

I've not asked about Parks.

What about Latu, Kaho? I saw the interesting tidbit where Diggs is a NB, while Jobe and Sustain are the CB.

To me, that feels like getting Diggs work at other spots while breaking in some younger guys like Jobe outside. Diggs can only help the defense if he is able to play outside corner and nickle effectively, especially if Surtain can, too.

@Justneedme81, @BamaBoyJosh,

That's exactly how I felt about Diggs. Good observation there, Josh. (And I'm not saying that because I thought the same thing. šŸ‘æ )

Let's not forget Kaho is still getting a bit acclimated considering he's missed the first two days. I'm told he's moving well in spite of him sporting a brace on one of his knees. That stuck out to me considering Lewis and his knee issues.

On the OLB's and the "Alabama factor." While I'm still harboring some of the feelings I have about Sal and the last time he was here, I do find it encouraging that he's back to his old form of coaching, "Do it right, or do it again." I'm not a fan of "see ball, get ball" and really like hearing reports of getting back to the "do your job" coaching approach.

On a different note/position:

One of the reasons we saw the change from Key to Flood was a result of that "self-introspection" Saban is known for having. The opinion that's been shared about how the offensive line did last year was it lacked power and athleticism. (Something we saw addressed in the last class.) There was a feeling of disappointment in the way Chris Owensā€”lauded as the next guy at centerā€”has developed in that role over the past year.

Based on reports there's been improvement there. So far, he's held down that center position throughout camp. It's an unknown at this point if he can get the blocking calls and check downs down pat. If he can he's will add a lot of push/power in the middle.

Harris has been working with the OLB's. I was talking with a friend this past weekend and he said, "he's got a long frame." It created a quick flashback to basketball. šŸ˜Ø He's got a really quick jump/first step. He needs some time in S&C but he's said to have that look that he'll "fill out well."

Allen getting a TON of reps these last two practices.

Sal seems really high on what Anoma is bringing. Sal, by nature and direction, is teaching responsibility/assignment and Anoma seems to be really catching on.

I've not asked about Parks.
I am hopeful that Sal can not only coach Anoma but also convince the kid to stick with The King..

Captain...ā€¦"cause you got to get your mind right"

Which has me thinking about ol' Matt at guard. He's a guy that'll know the blocking calls.

He will be one of our best 5... Putting him at guard could work.

A question I have for the football heads - Why is it we rarely see the super tall dudes at guard or center? I always assumed it was because the QB would have hard time throwing those quick slants with a 6'7 dude in his sight line. For that reason I always assumed Wills may make the move inside becauses of Leatherwood & Wills being so tall... But TBH, Leatherwood might be the 3rd best after watching all play a full season. But again, best combo... So whatever works best.

https://www.tidesports.com/alabama-has-first-spring-scrimmage-set-for-saturday/

The competition at Alabama spring football practice is about to move down the street and up a notch.

The football team will leave the practice fields and head to Bryant-Denny Stadium on Saturday for the first scrimmage of spring. The scrimmage is closed to the public; spring will conclude with the A-Day Game at Bryant-Denny Stadium on April 13.

ā€œYou always want to compete,ā€ wide receiver Henry Ruggs III said. ā€œEven with practices and a scrimmage, you donā€™t really have a live period where weā€™re moving the ball and things like that. But once we have that scrimmage then you can actually see where the team is and what kind of competitors we are.ā€

Itā€™s the first opportunity for the 2019 team to scrimmage and the first time several of Alabamaā€™s early enrollees will suit up to play at Bryant-Denny Stadium. There will still be seven more practices and scrimmages this spring following Saturday, but thereā€™s still value to be had in a game-like environment. Coach Nick Saban said earlier this week he wants to see more consistent leadership develop.

ā€œYou donā€™t turn leadership on and off,ā€ Saban said earlier this week. ā€œYou donā€™t do it during a scrimmage and not do it every day. You do it on the field, you do it off the field.ā€

The scrimmage is an opportunity for individual players to demonstrate their case for moving up the depth chart or to begin solidifying a role, though the season is still months away. New assistant coaches can be acquainted with the routine theyā€™ll use on Saturdays in the fall.
Thereā€™s also still time for teaching and learning during the first scrimmage. Some scrimmages can be closer to the setup for a game, but spring still leaves time for young players to stop and learn.

ā€œIā€™ve really been pleased with the progress that weā€™ve been able to make,ā€ Saban said. ā€œA lot of guys have picked up things quickly. Thereā€™s kind of a sort of nice blend of some experienced players and some younger players, having 15 midyear guys this year. A lot of young guys who have made a significant amount of improvement and some of the old guys have certainly contributed to that.

ā€œObviously, weā€™ve got a long way to go in terms of some of the things that we want to try to accomplish. I think depth just about at every position probably would be something of significance. I still think thereā€™s a lot of competition at a lot of positions, and Iā€™ve really been pleased with the attitude and the way the players have been going around practice. Their energy has been really good. Theyā€™re working to try to do the little things right, finish plays, pay attention to detail, learn, support each other. So, Iā€™m really pleased with that.ā€

I listen to Kevin Hagan a good bit on Bill Kingā€™s Show and he has always talked glowingly about Chris Owens and how much the staff thinks of his potential at the center position. Personally, when I hear his name I think of his block/effort on the fake FG vs Clemson.

Iā€™ve always heard that the taller OL have trouble at guard because they are usually blocking the shorter ā€˜bulldozerā€™ built run stuffers inside and pad level/leverage is most important when trying to move inside DL in the run game.

I listen to Kevin Hagan a good bit on Bill Kingā€™s Show and he has always talked glowingly about Chris Owens and how much the staff thinks of his potential at the center position. Personally, when I hear his name I think of his block/effort on the fake FG vs Clemson.

Iā€™ve always heard that the taller OL have trouble at guard because they are usually blocking the shorter ā€˜bulldozerā€™ built run stuffers inside and pad level/leverage is most important when trying to move inside DL in the run game.

I may be wrong but I believe you're thinking about Lashley...#76

Why is it we rarely see the super tall dudes at guard or center?
We are seeing things change, gradually, on the height of the centers. A time and player you guys will remember was under Urban when he was at Florida, Mike Pouncey. Now, he's not the 6'7" guy we'll see at tackle, but compared to other guys at the same position he's a taller center. It's a blocking scheme thing: man versus zone.

Back
Top Bottom