| FTBL šŸˆ Spring Practice - 2019 : A few names are emerging as leaders

@Tidestalker,

A lot of shifts on the offensive line today...Brown and Ekiyor got some reps at guard and Ekiyor took some at center as well.
Skyler been having a pretty good day today. He was so mental last year.
Reichard not so much at times--bad punt, hitting uprights. (Settled down as the scrimmage continued.)
Dale looks good.
Metchie with a couple of TD's today.
Tua throwing darts. But that's not news.
Mac looking pretty good as well.
Ford has some good hands...been a nice target out of the backfield today. He's quick.
Anoma. A.N.O.M.A.

From the obs that have been shared today it seems like they've had a pretty good scrimmage....been watching softball so I've not paid a lot of attention to my phone. We'll see what coach has to say in a few.

One question has been answered. Tua is the starter. šŸ¤”

Alabama is working at Bryant-Denny Stadium today for its first scrimmage of spring. This is also the Red Elephant Club scrimmage, so expect to see some tweets and leaks about what happens today from some people who get to watch. We are not permitted to stay and watch but will let you know what we hear later. Nick Saban will also speak to us after the scrimmage.

Here are some notes and observations from the open period:

• One notable absence: Henry Ruggs III wasnā€™t there while we were checking out the wide receivers. I believe he was at a funeral for a family member back home in Montgomery, but we ought to hear the official word from Nick Saban after the scrimmage. He spoke to us yesterday afternoon, and injured or suspended players donā€™t speak to the media, so there may not be anything wrong with him in this case.
  • Perhaps not so surprising: Terrell Lewis was not with the OLBs as they warmed up. If Alabama is limiting him in spring, makes sense that he wouldnā€™t be participating in a scrimmage with so much contact.
  • Lewis was off to the side on a stationary bike with Kedrick James and Ben Davis. Theyā€™re probably out for the day, too.
  • Offensive lineman Matt Womack was dressed and working with the offensive linemen.
  • Running back is obviously a bit thin this time of year with only three scholarship players. Took a look over there and realized Alabama has seven running backs at the moment, so theyā€™re loaded up on walk-ons.
  • Cameron Latu was still with the tight ends today and wearing an offensive jersey. Miller Forristall told us yesterday he didnā€™t know what the long-term plan was for Latu, but said he wouldnā€™t be surprised if he remained at tight end into the fall.Thatā€™s all for now. Weā€™ll be back in a couple hours with updates from Saban.

Opening statement:

As first scrimmages go in the spring, you obviously have goals and objectives that you want to accomplish in the spring, and the first time you have a scrimmage, you want to see where you're at. I think we have some really good players. We have some guys that can play winning football. To me, we don't have enough. We don't have enough depth on our team. We don't have enough guys who can execute with confidence and play fast. The way we need to go about that is keep working these guys. What a lot of players don't understand is that you don't do things until you get it right. You do it over and over again until you can't get it wrong. That's what our young guys have to understand.

Offensively, for the first scrimmage, we executed pretty well today. Obviously, we've got a little more experience (on offense). (WR Henry) Ruggs had a family issue today. He had funeral he had to go to. We had a couple of tight ends missing. Couple of guys on defense missing. Couple of guys playing in black (non-contact) jerseys. I think it's going to be important that some of the other guys that come in in the fall, especially the defensive players -- three down guys, two linebackers and four in the secondary -- those guys are going to have to come along and add some depth to our team on defense. We have some guys we feel have the potential, but we feel they need to continue to grow. That competition will definitely help them grow.

I thought both quarterbacks played pretty well today.

Obviously, we've got work to do. But that's why we've got practice the rest of the spring, the summer and also fall camp to get ready to play the season.

On how much influence new coordinators have on changing philosophies and schemes:

Not a lot. We kind of do what we do. A new coordinator brings new energy, new enthusiasm, new ideas. Sometimes we make tweaks and adaptations to what we do. We were pretty successful on offense, especially last year, so why would we change a lot? I think some of the additions we've made have been very, very positive and will be helpful in helping us feature some of the players that we have. Defensively, Pete (Golding) was here. We definitely need to improve. We slipped. We continue to try to replace a lot personnel year in and year out. Guys leave the program early for the draft or whatever it might be. We've never had this much turnover in players like we did a year ago and we had again this year. It affects depth. It affects knowledge and experience. We just have to keep working with the young players. We'll probably have a pretty young team.

On how the QBs were structured for the scrimmage:

Tua's obviously the starter. Mac (Jones) is the guy that has the most experience (of the backups). He got some playing time last year and has made a lot of progress. He's the guy who can execute best right now as the next best player. And then we let Taulia (Tagovailoa) play some with the twos. Paul (Tyson) played some as well. So we need to see who's going to be the next best guy and if anybody can challenge the first two guys in terms of where they are. That's kind of where we are today. That's how we had it planned. I think those guys have a ways to go. It was their first time out there. They did some good things. But it was also pretty obvious it was their first time out there.

On how the defensive line performed today:

The first group played fairly well. The second group was not that great. I haven't watched the film yet. I'm sure that we'll find some good things that they did, and we'll find some things that we need to fix. There are a lot of things that need to be corrected. I think the big thing is getting the guys to strike out of their hips and being more aggressive up front. Kind of control the line of scrimmage a little better. I thought the first group did a pretty good job of that. But past that, I think we've got a lot of work to do.

On how some of the inside backers other than Dylan Moses are progressing:

We have a lot of work to do. Those guys have ability, (but) they make too many mental errors. When you have mental errors at linebacker, you either have a gap that's unprotected, (or) you have somebody that's uncovered. We had way too many of those today. We just have to keep on working. Keep on working with them and see where it takes us. But I thought some of the outside backers played pretty well today. But inside guys, we've got lots of work to do.

On how the kicking game looked today:

Kicking game was good. I think we're a lot further along this year. Made a lot of changes in the kicking game last year, which really was beneficial in terms of statistics. How explosive we were on kickoff return really improved. We improved on punt return explosive plays to the point where in the second half of the season, we weren't getting the ball kicked to us so that we could return it. It seems like we have a few more guys that buy in to playing on special teams well. Coverage units played pretty well last year. We have a new freshman kicker (Will Reichard), who kicked well today. He also punts, and he punted well today. Then we have the other guys, who actually were better than what they were in the past, which is what our hope is -- that we can develop them and get them to improve.

Sorry guys! I was supposed to go to the scrimmage but I decided to stay home. My Dad was going to go with me, but he was suffering from jet lag after getting back from Australia. My son had practice and I didnā€™t feel like going by myself. Iā€™ll make sure to go for the summer scrimmage!

Sorry guys! I was supposed to go to the scrimmage but I decided to stay home. My Dad was going to go with me, but he was suffering from jet lag after getting back from Australia. My son had practice and I didnā€™t feel like going by myself. Iā€™ll make sure to go for the summer scrimmage!

Ones OL:
LT Leatherwood- solid
LG Evan Neal- thought he looked really good
C Chris Owens- lots of power
RG Emil - jury still out
RT Jedrick Wills- solid

The Kicker Reichard:

Missed a 35 bad, made a 40 good and they stuck him at punter and he had about a 9 yard punt.

Delong was booming kicks.

Metchie with 2 TDS today, huge upside there.

Ford and Anoma played well and have been standouts

DJ Dale looking super impressive

ILB didnā€™t look bad, they are getting there I already see that leader spark from Moses.

OLB/DL looks to be our most solid group. 92 is scary

Looks like they want to keep Jobe at corner and possibly make Diggs Safety. We will see how this plays out. Something like PS2, Jobe, Diggs, McKinney (future high draft), Carter. Maybe Wright.

Still loaded at WR and RB itā€™s silly almost

Tua is Tua

All QBs look good

TEā€™s were solid. If James ever gets his head out of his arse he will be a star. Just watching him goof off he is talented.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perspective:

Assuming McMillon is the other starter inside, that means they have a starter who has about as many snaps as Mac Jones did last year.

Josh McMillon was listed as a Will LBer last year on the depth chart. As a 5th year senior, I would expect a lot more from this guy than Moody, Kaho. Benton is in his 3rd year at the position and shouldn't be struggling with the calls.

Josh McMillon was listed as a Will LBer last year on the depth chart.
Okay?

As a 5th year senior, I would expect a lot more from this guy than Moody, Kaho. Benton is in his 3rd year at the position and shouldn't be struggling with the calls.
That doesn't change the amount of time he's spent under specific instructions on calling sets. The third ILB has never received a lot of snaps* under Saban. Last year, outside of the top four linebackers, no one played more than 9% of the snaps all season.

*The only exception to this is with Moses and that's not really an exception. His numbers were higher than normal due to in the SDH's injury and a good two thirds of his snaps were in the final two games that season. In Saban's tenure in Tuscaloosa the number of snaps taken by back-up interior 'backers is practically a mirror image of those back-ups getting snaps along the defensive line.

Okay?

That doesn't change the amount of time he's spent under specific instructions on calling sets. The third ILB has never received a lot of snaps* under Saban. Last year, outside of the top four linebackers, no one played more than 9% of the snaps all season.

*The only exception to this is with Moses and that's not really an exception. His numbers were higher than normal due to in the SDH's injury and a good two thirds of his snaps were in the final two games that season. In Saban's tenure in Tuscaloosa the number of snaps taken by back-up interior 'backers is practically a mirror image of those back-ups getting snaps along the defensive line.

IT's his second year with Golding. It's his 5th year at Alabama. I've seen him in a lot of games and he has had a ton of snaps in practice. And Moses doesn't get a pass. How do we know that it wasn't Dylan busting plays as well? He was busting them last season. At this point, we don't.

Golding made a mess out of the middle of our defense last season with 2 guys that both were on the Butkus watch list when the season began. If we don't get the middle of our defense shored up this year we are a sinking ship.

Bama had a great run at inside LBers but it appears the recruiting for these last couple of years has failed to restock with big time players. We sure need a Donta to arrive this summer. McMillion is what he is after 5 years on the roster.

Golding is so bad that Nick Saban didn't invite him to leave like Tosh or the other but instead hired him as the DC. Aight.

IT's his second year with Golding. It's his 5th year at Alabama. I've seen him in a lot of games and he has had a ton of snaps in practice. And Moses doesn't get a pass. How do we know that it wasn't Dylan busting plays as well? He was busting them last season. At this point, we don't.

You have not seen him get a ton of snaps in practices. He hasn't.

He only appeared in nine games last season. The most snaps he took in a game last year was 22 against ULL. He had 21 against Arkansas State. 19 against Louisville. He was on the field for 2.8% of the snaps the defense took in 2018.

Golding made a mess out of the middle of our defense last season with 2 guys that both were on the Butkus watch list when the season began. If we don't get the middle of our defense shored up this year we are a sinking ship.
You're still trying to pile all of this at the feet of Golding. And, it's still wrong.

You have not seen him get a ton of snaps in practices. He hasn't.

He only appeared in nine games last season. The most snaps he took in a game last year was 22 against ULL. He had 21 against Arkansas State. 19 against Louisville. He was on the field for 2.8% of the snaps the defense took in 2018.

You're still trying to pile all of this at the feet of Golding. And, it's still wrong.

If Golding was the problem with ILBers in 2018 then he would be flying rubber dog shite out of Hong Kong instead of receiving a raise and a promotion from Nick Saban.

Only time tells this story. I have 15 games that speak to our defense under Golding as ILB coach and I know with certainty he was calling that masterpiece in the natty and vs Oklahoma. If that stuff continues against spread teams, keep your stats handy cause you will have a lot of explaining to do to talk us out of what that looks like.

Right now I would trade him for Kevin Steele in a heartbeat and throw in a player to be named later.

Back
Top Bottom