| FTBL šŸˆ Spring Practice - 2019 : A few names are emerging as leaders

Only time tells this story. I have 15 games that speak to our defense under Golding as ILB coach and I know with certainty he was calling that masterpiece in the natty and vs Oklahoma. If that stuff continues against spread teams, keep your stats handy cause you will have a lot of explaining to do to talk us out of what that looks like.
Organizing a game plan and calling the plays into the team are two complete and separate things.

Yes, he was given the reigns to call game plans last season. No, he wasn't responsible for calling the adjustments and "audibles" for the defense during a play. Hence, the many references to communication and the ability to adjust on the fly (which led to Tosh's departure.)

The only reason I can see with you have such a hard time with statistical analysis is because it refutes a lot of your claims.

Right now I would trade him for Kevin Steele in a heartbeat and throw in a player to be named later.

Yeah, that makes a ton of sense. Let's replace Golding with a guy that doesn't want to be on the road recruiting. Makes a lot of sense in a Saban system.

I'm saying that somewhere, right now, there is a special team coach out there, with a confused look on his face, wondering what happened to his trophy.
I know this won't sit well.

Saban:

I think we're a lot further along this year. Made a lot of changes in the kicking game last year, which really was beneficial in terms of statistics. How explosive we were on kickoff return really improved. We improved on punt return explosive plays to the point where in the second half of the season, we weren't getting the ball kicked to us so that we could return it. It seems like we have a few more guys that buy in to playing on special teams well.

The only reason I can see with you have such a hard time with statistical analysis is because it refutes a lot of your claims.

He got the job and the raise. We have a load of spread teams on the schedule. Just a word of advice about your foolproof stats, if spread teams start walking the ball down the middle of our defense again this year, it's a trend.
Yeah, that makes a ton of sense. Let's replace Golding with a guy that doesn't want to be on the road recruiting. Makes a lot of sense in a Saban system.

Saban just released a staff full of recruiting wonders to get to some X and O coaches in here. Odd, you missed that.

He got the job and the raise. We have a load of spread teams on the schedule. Just a word of advice about your foolproof stats, if spread teams start walking the ball down the middle of our defense again this year, it's a trend.
Foolproof stats?

Are you talking about what I posted about the number of snaps McMillon played versus your stating you saw him on the field so much? Or, the point Saban refers to the improvement on special teams in a statistical light?

My stats? My stats versus what? Those from the University? Those from the NCAA?

Foolproof stats?

Are you talking about what I posted about the number of snaps McMillon played versus your stating you saw him on the field so much? Or, the point Saban refers to the improvement on special teams in a statistical light?

My stats? My stats versus what? Those from the University? Those from the NCAA?

I'd have to say your stats in general. They won't take the place of what we all saw last season. Nor will they be able to come to the rescue of our new DC if we don't get the middle of our defense straightened out. Just as they weren't able to make anyone believe Avery is actually a good basketball coach and the team wasn't as bad as you think. Those stats.

I'd have to say your stats in general. They won't take the place of what we all saw last season. Nor will they be able to come to the rescue of our new DC if we don't get the middle of our defense straightened out. Just as they weren't able to make anyone believe Avery is actually a good basketball coach and the team wasn't as bad as you think. Those stats.
A bad basketball coach doesn't win a NBA title. There is no discussion or retort that will dispute that. He was not a great coach. To that, there is no retort either.

I pointed to two statistics when I discussed Avery. One, the offensive efficiency numbers which had increased and two, the defensive efficiency numbers which had decreased. There is no retort to either of those two statements.

Facts, just like objective analysis, do not distort a picture. They are not based on opinion.

I'll tell ya one thing. I can see this happening already...you're going to have a hard time with Oats. His approach to coaching is both a statistical and an analytical style. It's the same method of operation that Byrne operates under, as well as Bohannon and as evidenced above with Saban's quote, his as well.

A bad basketball coach doesn't win a NBA title.

That didn't happen. He was a player, not a head coach.

Facts, just like objective analysis, do not distort a picture. They are not based on opinion.

I like facts. They come in all sizes and packages. And have been known to actually be disguised as nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc. I've been using them to make convincing arguments all my life.

Everything has a place. Stats are fine if we make them part of the narrative. Unfortunately, in your world, they become the intro, main ideas, and conclusion.

I'll tell ya one thing. I can see this happening already...you're going to have a hard time with Oats. His approach to coaching is both a statistical and an analytical style.

I also understand he gets in the player's face and makes his guys accountable. I wouldn't write my love affair off with Mr. Oats so fast.

But I understand why you would be downright giddy. A few years ago the guy was teaching 5 math classes a day. You two should get along fashionable.

That didn't happen. He was a player, not a head coach.
My mistake. I knew that and got a bit ahead of myself typing on the phone and hitting balls. It takes a good coach to win at the level he did with Dallas with their first finals appearance and the win totals for those seasons. The point I made a few weeks ago still remains. He's not a bad coach. He's not a great coach. He's a good coach.

Everything has a place. Stats are fine if we make them part of the narrative. Unfortunately, in your world, they become the intro, main ideas, and conclusion.

They've been part of the narrative that has encapsulated this season. Early on when people were complaining I mentioned two stats (which this will make the second time I've referred to them in this thread.) People complained about lack of offense last year. We saw improvement there. That fact happened to be backed up by a statistical measurement. People also said things like "turnovers and free throws are the reason this team is losing." I mentioned it was more about defense. A point that again was substantiated by a statistical look at defensive efficiency. (Since you've got an issue with adjectives, and seem to love nouns today, I decided to throw in a verb. In hindsight, I should have wrote "A point that again was substantiated by statistically looking at defensive efficiency." Damn...I'd have a verb, adverb, adjective, determiner, and even a conjunction.)

But I understand why you would be downright giddy. A few years ago the guy was teaching 5 math classes a day. You two should get along fashionable.

You can take the rest of the off, with pay. You've reached the clever ratio earlier than normal.

I thought last season was just too many good backs to get on the field.

We have an embarrassment of riches again, but will our guys see enough reps to get into a decent rhythm and make them dangerous either through the scheme were running or because of substitution?

I thought last season was just too many good backs to get on the field.

We have an embarrassment of riches again, but will our guys see enough reps to get into a decent rhythm and make them dangerous either through the scheme were running or because of substitution?

Sounds like it after Tua even stated we are looking more horizontal than vertical under Sarkesian. By that meaning we had a bunch of passes to the backs, from what else I have read. I for one hate that, because it damages our deep threat receivers, but I could be wrong and if it works like it did under Kiffin I'll just shut up. The only way I think we can appease and entire offense is to run a pro style offense. Backs get carries and receivers get opportunities as well. I'm not a coach, so I truly don't know, but I, like you, hate seeing our talent go to waste. That's when the negative recruiting kicks in in full force.

Sounds like it after Tua even stated we are looking more horizontal than vertical under Sarkesian. By that meaning we had a bunch of passes to the backs, from what else I have read. I for one hate that, because it damages our deep threat receivers, but I could be wrong and if it works like it did under Kiffin I'll just shut up. The only way I think we can appease and entire offense is to run a pro style offense. Backs get carries and receivers get opportunities as well. I'm not a coach, so I truly don't know, but I, like you, hate seeing our talent go to waste. That's when the negative recruiting kicks in in full force.

You brought up a lot of interesting points and much of which we were doing last season. If we continue to play deep ball with our receivers what happens to our time of position and ability to rest our defense?

You brought up a lot of interesting points and much of which we were doing last season. If we continue to play deep ball with our receivers what happens to our time of position and ability to rest our defense?

I agree with that as well. I know teams would kill to have our problems. I just get worried about the short plays because of the first turnover we saw against Clemson was a short pass with wrong reads. It just worries me cause if we are quick quick quick to the outside it doesn't allow our athletes to be athletes in my opinion. I just watched a few minutes from the Clemson game and we simply should have beat their ass. I don't know why I just put myself through that because there were things there that even pedestrian fans like myself knew would come into play. We knew their defense was soft on the back end, we knew Lawrence gets easily rattled when you blitz, and we went away from both of those things when it mattered. I'm pissed off now just thinking about it all. I liked Tosh a lot, but he royally screwed us with the way he handled to defense. We had great backers and a solid defensive line, and a decent secondary that just looked average. Gah, I'm ready to see Clemson again if Texas A&M doesn't knock them out.

I agree with that as well. I know teams would kill to have our problems. I just get worried about the short plays because of the first turnover we saw against Clemson was a short pass with wrong reads. It just worries me cause if we are quick quick quick to the outside it doesn't allow our athletes to be athletes in my opinion. I just watched a few minutes from the Clemson game and we simply should have beat their ass. I don't know why I just put myself through that because there were things there that even pedestrian fans like myself knew would come into play. We knew their defense was soft on the back end, we knew Lawrence gets easily rattled when you blitz, and we went away from both of those things when it mattered. I'm pissed off now just thinking about it all. I liked Tosh a lot, but he royally screwed us with the way he handled to defense. We had great backers and a solid defensive line, and a decent secondary that just looked average. Gah, I'm ready to see Clemson again if Texas A&M doesn't knock them out.

I don't know how you play tough-man football out of the RPO spread, I really don't. So everything is a trade off I guess. We just don't seem to be balanced enough or toughminded enough when we pass to set up the run, which is where I thought last year's Locksley offensive scheme took us.

If we run the pistol out of the pro spread doesn't that take us back to our 2015 offense? And how would someone describe our offensive sets under Daboll in 2017? That felt like we had more pro-set balance as well and Najee in the 4th quarter of the natty game it looked like we had our guys running downhill when it mattered most. Tua also looked comfortable enough to bring us back.

I'm sure we have got to get back to more ball control if we are going to get our toughness back and give our defense a chance to survive the 4th quarter.

I don't know how you play tough-man football out of the RPO spread, I really don't. So everything is a trade off I guess. We just don't seem to be balanced enough or toughminded enough when we pass to set up the run, which is where I thought last year's Locksley offensive scheme took us.

If we run the pistol out of the pro spread doesn't that take us back to our 2015 offense? And how would someone describe our offensive sets under Daboll in 2017? That felt like we had more pro-set balance as well and Najee in the 4th quarter of the natty game it looked like we had our guys running downhill when it mattered most. Tua also looked comfortable enough to bring us back.

I'm sure we have got to get back to more ball control if we are going to get our toughness back and give our defense a chance to survive the 4th quarter.

Completely agree. People say the better team won against Clemson, but I see that we just didn't have the calls in place from the coaching staff. We ran up and down the field on them and tried to get cute when we should have been tough and ran it down their throats. Not running Najee and Jacobs all day freaking long really bothered me after the initial stink of the ass whooping moved on. Coaching really hurt us, and I think this latest edition of clearing house really showed that and that Saban knew it as well. Don't get me wrong, Clemson was a great great team, but we had the better athletes and beat ourselves from the press box. Little high level stat picture below. Sorry to get off on a rant about that one specific game, but I'm just hoping we don't fall prey to this kind of play calling again, kind of like the last time we lost to Clemson as well.

Completely agree. People say the better team won against Clemson, but I see that we just didn't have the calls in place from the coaching staff. We ran up and down the field on them and tried to get cute when we should have been tough and ran it down their throats. Not running Najee and Jacobs all day freaking long really bothered me after the initial stink of the ass whooping moved on. Coaching really hurt us, and I think this latest edition of clearing house really showed that and that Saban knew it as well. Don't get me wrong, Clemson was a great great team, but we had the better athletes and beat ourselves from the press box. Little high level stat picture below. Sorry to get off on a rant about that one specific game, but I'm just hoping we don't fall prey to this kind of play calling again, kind of like the last time we lost to Clemson as well.

View attachment 11100

Yes, coaching got us beat. Coach Saban doesn't usually allow that to happen more than once before he makes the adjustment back more to his principles and comfort level.

The Clemson game looks much different if Bama does what they had done all year and finished drives in the red zone and protect the ball. The Scoreboard would have been more like the games stats (very close).

My perception is that the areas on the D that we struggled with during the game were some of the same issues we had most of the year except but magnified. Most of us ever thought we had the D that lived up to the bama standard last year as a unit. D is still my biggest concern going into next season. I think we are seeing the effects of losing so many great players. We are left with talented inexperienced players and quality or unproven depth issues. Most of that does not matter except for one or two teams then it is a big issue.

Good thing is we have the best coach in the country that will fix it. These are bama problems for sure, we lose 1 game and dominate almost every opponent we played and had one of the most explosive offenses in school history but we are complaining about having to much talent. Roll Tide!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom