| RECRUIT Recruiting misses.

In light of Signing day being a few days away, it got me thinking of the ones we weren't able to land. Curious to see if there's any that we've missed out on that you guys still remember. Sorry if this brings back any bad memories. So there's one that come to mind when I think this.
For me, it was Nakobe Dean. Reason being is because we had injuries galore at ILB that year, he would've been a starter due to this, as well as an impactful one at that. We landed Christian Harris and Shane Lee, Harris played well, and got better as the year went one.... but Lee(while showing glimpses) didn't ever play with the consistency we needed. Dean would've most likely gotten the nod over him, and been an impactful player for us for majority of the season. Honestly, that's really it for me. There's been guys where I've been bummed about not landing or flipping from us, but not to the level I was with Dean.

Last edited:
Bo Jackson.
Have talked to Bo during “Bo Bikes Bama”, was wearing a Crimson Tide cycling jersey. Without me asking , he starts talking about his recruitment. I took this as him really wanting to go to UA. Says Ken Donahue told him he would probably be redshirted and he might get to play as a Sophomore, at LB. He said to me, “Im not sitting on any coaches bench for a year”. Thinking this was an attempt to see if he really wanted to go to UA by the staff. If you didn’t want UA, Coach Bryant didn’t want you.

Have talked to Bo during “Bo Bikes Bama”, was wearing a Crimson Tide cycling jersey. Without me asking , he starts talking about his recruitment. I took this as him really wanting to go to UA. Says Ken Donahue told him he would probably be redshirted and he might get to play as a Sophomore, at LB. He said to me, “Im not sitting on any coaches bench for a year”. Thinking this was an attempt to see if he really wanted to go to UA by the staff. If you didn’t want UA, Coach Bryant didn’t want you.
If I recall, he rehabbed at Bama after his high school injury, and I had also read that the idea of being a LB and not a RB was what sent him to aubrun.

I don't really think of who Alabama didn't/doesn't get; players or coaches. If you get player a, maybe player b, who we do get doesn't come to Alabama. While it does provide interesting conversation; think back of probably the biggest "miss" in Alabama football history. What if Alabama didn't miss on the hiring of Rich Rod.

Offered as a defensive back...just about every school that recruited him offered him as a DB.
Was it as a DB or TE?
As for Keenan Allen, he wanted a scholly for his brother, who was a QB at Buffalo and a sub 50% passer. Like you said, Keenan burned that bridge.

I thought Bo was told he would be a LB opposite to Biscuit. Barn told him he would be a RB and starter from day 1 and BAMA would stick him on defense and put him behind Biscuit.

Was it as a DB or TE?
As for Keenan Allen, he wanted a scholly for his brother, who was a QB at Buffalo and a sub 50% passer. Like you said, Keenan burned that bridge.

I thought Bo was told he would be a LB opposite to Biscuit. Barn told him he would be a RB and starter from day 1 and BAMA would stick him on defense and put him behind Biscuit.
I know I may be a bit biased. But I would've loved to of seen what Bo could've done as a linebacker. I think he would've excelled there as well. Had the right build, had a powerful lower and upper body, would've loved to have seen him taking on blockers and shedding them off. We all know how fast he was at his size, we talk about players being able to run sideline to sideline.... he could've easily been one those players. Have no doubt that would've had that lateral quickness.... would've had fantastic closing speed as well. I know a lot of teams didn't do it a whole lot then, but him in coverage would've been something to see, not a whole lot of athletes then could've consistently beaten him stride for stride, it would've been fun to watch. Think he could've revolutionized the position somewhat to how it is now if he played it. He was just a great athlete all around, and could've been a great player at almost any position in the field. Also, loved him as a baseball player.

I know I may be a bit biased. But I would've loved to of seen what Bo could've done as a linebacker. I think he would've excelled there as well. Had the right build, had a powerful lower and upper body, would've loved to have seen him taking on blockers and shedding them off. We all know how fast he was at his size, we talk about players being able to run sideline to sideline.... he could've easily been one those players. Have no doubt that would've had that lateral quickness.... would've had fantastic closing speed as well. I know a lot of teams didn't do it a whole lot then, but him in coverage would've been something to see, not a whole lot of athletes then could've consistently beaten him stride for stride, it would've been fun to watch. Think he could've revolutionized the position somewhat to how it is now if he played it. He was just a great athlete all around, and could've been a great player at almost any position in the field. Also, loved him as a baseball player.
No doubt that Bo was a HOSS!!! BB Comer HS has a kid that is currently committed to Memphis. He is 6'2" 225 playing RB and MLB. He has speed, not Bo speed, but he can run. From my retired coaching eyes, he is a potential day 1 starter at MLB. I think Memphis has recruited him as a RB. His name is Kamore Harris. Good looking player. He was recruited by one of my former players, Kyle Pope. Kyle played OLB at Jax State and his twin brother Kelsie was a WR at Samford. Kelsie is the WR coach for the Viles. I wish Saban would take a look at Harris though.

No doubt that Bo was a HOSS!!! BB Comer HS has a kid that is currently committed to Memphis. He is 6'2" 225 playing RB and MLB. He has speed, not Bo speed, but he can run. From my retired coaching eyes, he is a potential day 1 starter at MLB. I think Memphis has recruited him as a RB. His name is Kamore Harris. Good looking player. He was recruited by one of my former players, Kyle Pope. Kyle played OLB at Jax State and his twin brother Kelsie was a WR at Samford. Kelsie is the WR coach for the Viles. I wish Saban would take a look at Harris though.
I'll definitely watch his film whenever I have the chance to.

I think Bo could play any position on the field. Maybe even kicker, I wouldn't bet against him.

Nobody going to mention Timmy Tebow? 🤣

Eli Apple is another one I thought would have been a stud at the capstone. But for every miss, or didn’t land, we’ve had 25 hits!

I remember the story of Keenan, I list him because we wanted him, offered him, had him at least for a minute, then because of wanting the deal with his step-brother, he went elsewhere. We didn’t get him. So he’s one of the one’s we didn’t land. Would have been lined up alongside Julio for his freshman year. His loss more than ours, but would have been a good get.

And Bob Bockrath! 🤬

Yea, don't fault him for wanting playing time and his dream of the NFL requires he get more playing time. I was a little puzzled because at least, I and a few others on here have him tabbed as the starter next year. Hopefully he wins the job, playing time, and all that he wants and more.

Eli Apple is another one I thought would have been a stud at the capstone. But for every miss, or didn’t land, we’ve had 25 hits!

I remember the story of Keenan, I list him because we wanted him, offered him, had him at least for a minute, then because of wanting the deal with his step-brother, he went elsewhere. We didn’t get him. So he’s one of the one’s we didn’t land. Would have been lined up alongside Julio for his freshman year. His loss more than ours, but would have been a good get.

Tebow for sure. I mean he was as much as a factor for Saban being at Alabama as Mal Moore or probably any other reason I can think of.

And the rest has been a heck of a sweet ride so far.

No, but I'll talk about another UF player (from North Carolina). I can't remember his name, but supposedly his final decision came down to both Bama and UF. All Shula had to do was pay him a visit, but Shula thought the UA brand would sell itself.

He went to Florida and had a really good career there until his final season when twice he stuck his fingers in an opposing player's eye. Dirty pool

If I don't have that story right, feel free to correct me.

Back
Top Bottom