| RECRUIT Reflections on Ala-Aub recruiting

musso

I could be off in left field on this, but I noticed how Auburn claimed the two, highest ranked, big-bodied WRs in-state. And these guys remind me of what Freeze deployed at Ole Miss, with remarkable success.

Then I noticed our class emphasized elite DBs and more DEs to add to our impressive young depth already.

Now obviously I know teams recruit personel for more reasons than just to beat one opponent ... BUT ... we are talking in-state rivals ... and everyone in the SEC (especially the former Western division) has been trying to topple Saban's dynasty. And only Georgia, so far, has been able to manufacture a level of trench warfare equal to ours. The genius of Freeze was to bypass the trenches and put what few "eggs" he had at Ole Miss into the QB and WR "baskets" while leaning on a HUNH scheme to exhaust Bama's bigger, stronger interior defense.

It looks like to me that both programs are recruiting to prepare for each other: Auburn signing those big WRs who can win 50/50 balls while Saban is stocking up on edge rushers and the best DBs he can possibly stockpile.

I do miss the days of having a physical WR and physical RBs. Well I guess Julio was the only "big-bodied" WR who made an impact. I always wondered why Cam Sims was never used more.

Is Henry the last of our tackle-breaking RBs??? Do high schools make them anymore????

i was honestly a bit surprised at the two WR going to Auburn. I haven't followed recruiting this year very much, but damn... you got no QB to throw to you and a team that tried to run the ball every play on only throw it when they needed to... and even then half the time the still ran it.

I wonder if, in the world of NO NIL... these two guys would have signed with auburn...

i was honestly a bit surprised at the two WR going to Auburn. I haven't followed recruiting this year very much, but damn... you got no QB to throw to you and a team that tried to run the ball every play on only throw it when they needed to... and even then half the time the still ran it.
Right now, they don't have a quarterback.

I don’t think Bama is stockpiling elite Db’s and DE to beat Hugh. If you look at previous classes, Saban has been doing that long before Freeze got to AU. He does it to beat everyone!
Agreed, Saban has been an elite recruiter getting elite talent for a long time. So it could just be because of a departure of lots of experience from our secondary this year that this was an area of urgency. But I wouldn't say we've always had elite edge rushers who could consistently apply pressure. Before Will Anderson I'd say we'd have to go back to the days of DE Williams and Pruitt as DC when opposing QBs had to worry. In fact, Saban would always get irritated when the press would ask him about the lack of sacks. He constantly would say that "affecting" the QB was just as effective as sacks (which I never agreed with by the way). I even remember one occasion in a press conference when he said he had never seen a statistic that correlated team victories with sacks.

So when you also consider that it's been a while since we had an unblockable DT or NG, it just seems that the decision has been made to devote scarce resources to acquiring elite pass rushers and DBs, rather than interior DL, in an age when few offenses rely on inside running games anymore.

I wonder if, in the world of NO NIL... these two guys would have signed with auburn...
I say probably not! The Barn is legally buying players now. But can Freeze sustain it. I say no!

I say probably not! The Barn is legally buying players now. But can Freeze sustain it. I say no!
This is the crux of the situation. Freeze saw this same uptick in recruiting at Ole Miss albeit a little later in the process. Once the players and recruits realize he couldn't develop them much they started transferring out or flipping to other schools.

Freeze has always been good on the offensive side, able to develop some WR options but even if you look at his WR development you notice that most of the receivers he had weren't really gamebreakers in college but rather flourished in the NFL more than anything.

Which means, Freeze is really just good at finding WR talent, but not very good at utilizing that talent to achieve success. Which has been his MO from Ole Miss and beyond.

AJ brown was drafted in the 2nd round, probably the best WR Freeze worked with because he wasn't able to do much under Freeze in college. I have no doubt these recruits will come to regret leaving a ton of money on the table by going to Auburn but that's their choice to make, we shall see how it plays out for them.

Correct me if I’m wrong but, when Freeze bought all them players at Ole Miss, I mean I know he beat Saban twice. but, his Teams never made it to Atlanta. Good offensive mind but, he’s never really had a great defense. So like you said we’ll see.

This is the crux of the situation. Freeze saw this same uptick in recruiting at Ole Miss albeit a little later in the process. Once the players and recruits realize he couldn't develop them much they started transferring out or flipping to other schools.

Freeze has always been good on the offensive side, able to develop some WR options but even if you look at his WR development you notice that most of the receivers he had weren't really gamebreakers in college but rather flourished in the NFL more than anything.

Which means, Freeze is really just good at finding WR talent, but not very good at utilizing that talent to achieve success. Which has been his MO from Ole Miss and beyond.

AJ brown was drafted in the 2nd round, probably the best WR Freeze worked with because he wasn't able to do much under Freeze in college. I have no doubt these recruits will come to regret leaving a ton of money on the table by going to Auburn but that's their choice to make, we shall see how it plays out for them.
Freeze was forced to resign at Ole Miss after the ‘16 season, which was AJ Brown’s freshman year. I wouldn’t give Freeze credit for developing him.

I do miss the days of having a physical WR and physical RBs. Well I guess Julio was the only "big-bodied" WR who made an impact. I always wondered why Cam Sims was never used more.

Is Henry the last of our tackle-breaking RBs??? Do high schools make them anymore????
Henry was a freak of nature. Built like a linebacker and ran like a deer.

Saw where we lost Coleman to Auburn. That sucks, but his recruitment is certainly not over. Also saw where Jernigan committed to A&M, which also sucks.... but we've got a pretty good linebacker class coming in. Looking ahead a little to next years class, I think we need to land 2-3 more. Would love to land Zayden Walker, he's an absolute freak.... and could likely come in and get significant playing time since Lawson and Campbell are likely gonna be gone. Then there's Eric Winters, not confident we land him at the moment.... but we'll see. In the mix for few others as well. Already have one committed(Myles Johnson), but I'd like add a guy like Walker in this class. I do believe he's one of those players that can come in, develop quickly, and earn playing time.

Saw where we lost Coleman to Auburn. That sucks, but his recruitment is certainly not over. Also saw where Jernigan committed to A&M, which also sucks.... but we've got a pretty good linebacker class coming in. Looking ahead a little to next years class, I think we need to land 2-3 more. Would love to land Zayden Walker, he's an absolute freak.... and could likely come in and get significant playing time since Lawson and Campbell are likely gonna be gone. Then there's Eric Winters, not confident we land him at the moment.... but we'll see. In the mix for few others as well. Already have one committed(Myles Johnson), but I'd like add a guy like Walker in this class. I do believe he's one of those players that can come in, develop quickly, and earn playing time.
He not till '25 that a long time before he sign anyone in that class!

Back
Top Bottom