| FTBL Fall Camp 2023 Thread

@64Tide my point would be "it's all context."

Yes, last year comes into play when you think about him. That's fair. But, the decisions made in a BOB offensive scheme aren't the same as we'll see with Rees. In that sense, it's out of context to consider last season. Fair, but out of context.

How much does the spring game/camp come into play? It's fair to weigh that, sure. But on the other hand he's in a black jersey all the time. (They all are which handicaps all three.) They wanted him to work on staying in the pocket. He's concentrating on that and that's likely led to some bad decisions.

One other point to chew on ...

You've heard about INT's, I'm sure. There's so much we don't know here. IE: which read, the first or third? Which reads did he pass up before making the throw? If he throws an INT on his third read when he could have pulled it down and ran for six...isn't that a bad, but handicapped decision?

@64Tide my point would be "it's all context."

Yes, last year comes into play when you think about him. That's fair. But, the decisions made in a BOB offensive scheme aren't the same as we'll see with Rees. In that sense, it's out of context to consider last season. Fair, but out of context.

How much does the spring game/camp come into play? It's fair to weigh that, sure. But on the other hand he's in a black jersey all the time. (They all are which handicaps all three.) They wanted him to work on staying in the pocket. He's concentrating on that and that's likely led to some bad decisions.

One other point to chew on ...

You've heard about INT's, I'm sure. There's so much we don't know here. IE: which read, the first or third? Which reads did he pass up before making the throw? If he throws an INT on his third read when he could have pulled it down and ran for six...isn't that a bad, but handicapped decision?
Just to “piggy back” off of this. Everyone wringing their hands over all of the perspectives coming from the Saturday scrimmage. We see the INT “but did Rees set parameters on some throws” ex. he may have told him that the first read was a “no go” in forcing Jalen to actually go through the progression. He’s already hamstrung with the black jersey- so no ability to escape the pocket and take off. A finger tip on the jersey equals a sack!🤬
Staying with the play longer and not bailing after the first read similar to Hurts in ‘16 has likely been a point of emphasis as well. We just aren’t privy to all of the information and the 1000+ different perspectives from Saturday do nothing but make things worse. Saban said, they all got reps, they all made some good throws, they all made some “not so good” ones.

Main perspective belongs to CNS.
I would agree....

We as fans don't know the play calls, or the all the players and the execution of those plays. We love to sit back and watch a game and arm chair QB, but we have no idea what all went on and what the decision tree was for the QB, what he saw, what he was expecting due to film study, what the other team is doing to confuse him... it's so many variable items to consider and pretty much all we see is a snip of a TV angle with some at best average TV "analyst" trying to tell us what the issues are...

We really have little information to understand all the nuances of of a game performance, let alone a scrimmage or Aday game performance... It may be fun to talk about on these forums, but the reality is we all only have a small bit of the picture at best.

Back
Top Bottom