| FTBL Fall Camp 2023 Thread

How will you know what the read progression was supposed to be?
I don't know if you can tell from standard view on tv, but I usually can tell whether Alabama is going to run a specific play based on their formation and who's on the field, what down it is, where they are on the field. I'm little obsessed with their play package. When the ball is snapped, I can tell who's going to be open based on where CB, Safety and LB is.. where they're moving.

You've described fall camp. When it comes down to decisions, Buchner has been that guy.

Chew on this for a bit: Take Mertz at Florida...he'd be battling Lonergan to run the scout team.
Mertz was horrible last night. He doesn't belong on the field at all. Is that the best QB they can find? I get he threw over 300 yards, but he took sacks too many times, and He made dumb decisions.

From what I've seen of Milroe and Simpson... Milroe seems to have a stronger arm, but less accurate... he seems to have more zip. If he can get some better accuracy and make good reads, he could be an amazing QB with his speed and build. I'd love to seem him have that light switch turn on and own the spot. Honestly, either one is fine by me if the switch turns on. What I'm afraid of is that both will be "pushing" and trying too hard to win the spot and neither have that "ah-ha" moment.

We are actually dealing with this exact same situation at our high school right now. Got a Senior whose momma runs the booster club and is a good quarterback with a decent arm, but is not mobile and cannot throw on the run worth a crap. Then you have a sophomore with an amazing arm (Eric Zier's nephew), with not as much experience, but a much higher ceiling. They are rotating both in and out of the game, so neither is really separating from the other, nor can either get in a rhythm. When we need a long pass play, you know who will be throwing it, when we need a manager, you know who will be handing it off and dumping it off. I think it has both very tight to where neither can make a move without thinking they get bumped down a string if they mess up. So you're basically saying the same thing here and I agree that it can be a bad thing for us if they keep pressing as they like to say.

By the way, the senior's momma refused to let her son ride home on the bus after the last away game because we needed our better arm in a comeback attempt and her son wasn't playing. Just sharing that because I'm sure all of the coach's out here cringe a little when thinking about dealing with parents in the past. Really hoping coach got pissed and benches his ass and sends a message, but we'll see if small town politics wins over. Check in this time next week for another episode of...As The Football Moves...

Mertz was horrible last night. He doesn't belong on the field at all. Is that the best QB they can find? I get he threw over 300 yards, but he took sacks too many times, and He made dumb decisions.

He has always sucked. Ever since he came out with his own logo (one of the first) I knew he was all ego. I cannot believe Napier rolled him out. He sucked at Wisconsin, so what the hell made him think he'd improve in the SEC. They messed up by not paying Rashada. Zero clue if Rashada will be any good, even after a good start at Arizona State, but atleast you could blame inexperience on a bad outing instead of just being stupid and putting a bad quarterback in there.

You've described fall camp. When it comes down to decisions, Buchner has been that guy.

Chew on this for a bit: Take Mertz at Florida...he'd be battling Lonergan to run the scout team.

Buchner seems have skills between Milroe and Simpson but maybe makes better decisions than both. He is actually a VERY good runner, I am not sure folks saw that last year. I don't think he's a great downfield passer but short and intermediate his is good and he can make throws off-platform.

Mertz was hard to watch. I kept thinking “why is he doing the shoulder fake as soon as he’s getting the snap?” And all the mistimed pump fakes (which the broadcast team made mention of a good bit)…

Back
Top Bottom