| FTBL Fall Camp 2023 Thread

I fail to see how they are relevant. I was commenting on two @Justneedme81 's situations.
The twitter I linked.. Talty and Tsoukalas was not at the scrimmage. Lot of "experts" and "insiders" weren't there. All they have is "I was told by my sources...."

This is what @Brandon Van de Graaff was alluding to yesterday when he said that we have to be careful with what we hear regarding the scrimmage information and how sometime it's not always what we see/hear based on peformance....

Everything I've read on social media... on boards.. lot of conflicting information on the team performances...

Two different sources I've read:
1. "Simpson did not have good day yesterday"
2. " Simpson had the best performance out of all qbs yesterday."

1. "Milroe was the best qb yesterday"
2. "Milroe was not consistent yesterday"

1. "Bunchner had the best performance out of all qbs."
2. "Bunchner did not have great peformance yesterday."

1. "WRs had so many drops yesterday. "
2. "There was few drops by WRs yesterday."

You would think this is like CNN versus Fox. I will just wait it out and see it for myself on gameday.

One thing you can count on with the reports is the Barn is going to win the Natty :).

I think some of us were right about how the scrimmage is perceived. On Bama SECRant and other board, everyone was having meltdowns about the drops assuming it was WRs... bad plays by QBs.... Defense getting blown up but no one took the time to say wait a minute...

What if the drops were by TEs, not the WRs for the most part?

What if the situation of how it was perceived that wasn't highlighted? 1 (offense) v.s. 2 (Defense) , 2 (Offense ) v.s.1 (Defense)

What if they were rotating QBs in and out so much that there was not enough consistency and it was hard for them to find their rhythm?

What if they were putting Qbs in tough situations over and over to test their decision making and etc?

I personally think we'll be fine. I think Milroe/Simpson/Buchner has improved a lot in recent weeks and they continue to push each other. I think we'll be fine whoever the QBs is... I do think the competition will last throughout the season.

Be careful of what we're assuming based on the scrimmages and what "experts" are telling us.. Everyone has their own perspective, and sometimes it's not what it seems like first. The first two games will tell us a lot about the team's identity and I think Saban knows because anytime he talks about the team identity, It's usually to send warning light to the team, to figure it out and he hasn't done that at all.

I had about a 400 word response to this, but just deleted it. Instead, I'll summarize it this way... great post.

The twitter I linked.. Talty and Tsoukalas was not at the scrimmage. Lot of "experts" and "insiders" weren't there. All they have is "I was told by my sources...."

This is what @Brandon Van de Graaff was alluding to yesterday when he said that we have to be careful with what we hear regarding the scrimmage information and how sometime it's not always what we see/hear based on peformance....

Everything I've read on social media... on boards.. lot of conflicting information on the team performances...

Two different sources I've read:
1. "Simpson did not have good day yesterday"
2. " Simpson had the best performance out of all qbs yesterday."

1. "Milroe was the best qb yesterday"
2. "Milroe was not consistent yesterday"

1. "Bunchner had the best performance out of all qbs."
2. "Bunchner did not have great peformance yesterday."

1. "WRs had so many drops yesterday. "
2. "There was few drops by WRs yesterday."
Yeah, I'm not getting into all that he said/they said. I was commenting on your different "contexts."

Yeah, I'm not getting into all that he said/they said. I was commenting on your different "contexts."
I'm not sure what you mean.... when I said, "They weren't there" I was talking about the reporters....

As far as the drops.. Not all drops were on WRs. that's the point I was trying to make. TEs had several drops.. Correct me if I'm wrong, yesterday TE had more drops than WRs did.

I don't think I can recall another preseason where I've heard such drastic reports going one way or the other more than this year. I don't know what to think at this point.
A couple down the street are getting a new roof put on this morning. One of the guys is wearing a Patriot's shirt, Mac Jones. It reminded me of this comment.

Do you remember how fans were acting/talking about Mac in the fall of 2020?

I still think we will not know who the QB will be till Bama has the ball. But at first I kept hearing that it would be Ty and now this morning I'm hearing it will be Jalen. Think about this didn't Coach Saban wait till the third game one year before naming the starting QB?

I still think we will not know who the QB will be till Bama has the ball. But at first I kept hearing that it would be Ty and now this morning I'm hearing it will be Jalen. Think about this didn't Coach Saban wait till the third game one year before naming the starting QB?
Not really. The year you're thinking about AJ took over for good in game three but he also took the majority of the snaps in game two against Penn State.

For game one I believe the depth chart is pretty set. What I wonder about three positions: interior line on offense, interior linebacker on defense, and one of the safety spots.

A couple down the street are getting a new roof put on this morning. One of the guys is wearing a Patriot's shirt, Mac Jones. It reminded me of this comment.

Do you remember how fans were acting/talking about Mac in the fall of 2020?

I was getting blasted for believing in him, so I definitely remember "the guy after Tua".

I was getting blasted for believing in him, so I definitely remember "the guy after Tua".
Blasted? Meh. There was a faction who didn't believe. I remember being met with utter disbelief when I said he was a top three QB in the draft.

I'm not suggesting either of these three guys we're talking about are of that caliber.

I am stating that there's a lot that isn't taken into account when we see judgments being made.

On another note, I talked to two guys yesterday who were at the scrimmage. One told me Jalen took most of the snaps against the 1's, the other said Ty took the most.

Based on...what?

Blasted? Meh. There was a faction who didn't believe. I remember being met with utter disbelief when I said he was a top three QB in the draft.

I'm not suggesting either of these three guys we're talking about are of that caliber.

I am stating that there's a lot that isn't taken into account when we see judgments being made.

On another note, I talked to two guys yesterday who were at the scrimmage. One told me Jalen took most of the snaps against the 1's, the other said Ty took the most.

Based on...what?

Felt like being blasted at the time. You know how quick things get testy on here as opinions fly.

With these quarterbacks, I've been Team Milroe mainly because of what he can do with his legs and after the last couple of years with our line ot was necessary to have a truly mobile quarterback, or elusive intelligent one like Bryce. That being said, I never took into considerstion the type of offense Rees was going to run, so understanding the needs of that was lost on me.

I don't know Rees much, which is why my opinion on him was never expressed. Even after all the comments about his offense I still don't really know what we need. If we pound it running, any one of the three will work. If we throw to tight ends a lot, we'll need a quick release and possibly a guy with some touch. I don't know if Milroe is the guy there. So in the end, I have just been using my ears more than my mouth, but even then I'm not hearing much at all on the quarterback competition.

Like Terry said, after the game(s) begin, things can happen... the margin of error isn't huge for a QB swap... but Milroe is getting the reps with the 1's... to me, the real battle is behind him. Personally, I think Buchner is going to keep ascending... he's barely participated in more than a handful of full pad practices with this team to this point, something to keep in mind. I also believe that this team can win with Milroe if he does what is asked and plays closer to his abilities.

Like Terry said, after the game(s) begin, things can happen... the margin of error isn't huge for a QB swap... but Milroe is getting the reps with the 1's... to me, the real battle is behind him. Personally, I think Buchner is going to keep ascending... he's barely participated in more than a handful of full pad practices with this team to this point, something to keep in mind. I also believe that this team can win with Milroe if he does what is asked and plays closer to his abilities.
I was reminded of the position battles we've seen with linemen and how when the competition was tight we've seen Saban go with that "5th year guy."

In this conversation, Milroe is that guy.

Buchner: I've heard no complaints about turnovers; the opposite.

Side note: One guy I spoke with mentioned Milroe was holding the ball too long Saturday. I had to mention he'd said he didn't like the way Milroe left the pocket so quickly. Waxing philosophical as I can ... how do we define that? Progress, perhaps?

Not really. The year you're thinking about AJ took over for good in game three but he also took the majority of the snaps in game two against Penn State.

For game one I believe the depth chart is pretty set. What I wonder about three positions: interior line on offense, interior linebacker on defense, and one of the safety spots.

Who are you wondering about at safety?

Unless someone wrestles it away from him, Milroe likely starter game 1. I do not believe he is the long term answer at QB though. If we play pound and possess football, his decision making will cost us some needed possessions and likely a game(s)

Back
Top Bottom