| FTBL Any truth to predictions that Perry flips to cow patty u? Riddick flips to Bama?

John Heisman and Kevin Steele.

Name a coach that's landed a better job after coaching at Auburn.
I should have said head coach. I'd argue Heisman didn't move up...he went to Clemson then to Ga Tech. Now that I'm thinking about it ... Tech did get awarded a title in his era, didn't they? Heisman and Dodd both have one I believe ...
I don’t think it necessarily has to be a better job but one where at least he’s at the top of the chain of command. He doesn’t strike me as much of a “YES” man.
I believe he had more autonomy at Liberty than he has at Auburn.

Here's sort of the same question, just in a different context. How many coaches have left a SEC school only to return to the conference at another school and were successful?

Saban is an outlier. Bryant another. Nutt didn't fare well. Tubs? He did okay on the plains while catching several SEC teams on a down turn. Spurrier did okay at UofSC—best years of their program I'd think but overall didn't do much in the SEC. Muschamp didn't do well. Orgeron? Another outlier—I'm still not impressed with his coaching abilities. Cutcliffe? He landed outside the SEC at Duke...did an okay job there.

I should have said head coach. I'd argue Heisman didn't move up...he went to Clemson then to Ga Tech. Now that I'm thinking about it ... Tech did get awarded a title in his era, didn't they? Heisman and Dodd both have one I believe ...

I believe he had more autonomy at Liberty than he has at Auburn.

Here's sort of the same question, just in a different context. How many coaches have left a SEC school only to return to the conference at another school and were successful?

Saban is an outlier. Bryant another. Nutt didn't fare well. Tubs? He did okay on the plains while catching several SEC teams on a down turn. Spurrier did okay at UofSC—best years of their program I'd think but overall didn't do much in the SEC. Muschamp didn't do well. Orgeron? Another outlier—I'm still not impressed with his coaching abilities. Cutcliffe? He landed outside the SEC at Duke...did an okay job there.

I think Cutcliff did an amazing job at Duke. I also think Spurrier did a heck of a job at South Carolina. Gotta think both of those programs have not seen a ton of success, and to be winning some meaningful games and being in bowl games, it's not something any of the players or many of the fans have experienced. Sure, in the whole scheme of conference and college football they didn't win big, but for the program both of those coaches did wonders. Duke is still playing well, and South Carolina made enough of a name for themselves that they are pulling some pretty solid talent and got Beamer to come and pull off more of what Spurrier did.

I think Cutcliff did an amazing job at Duke. I also think Spurrier did a heck of a job at South Carolina. Gotta think both of those programs have not seen a ton of success, and to be winning some meaningful games and being in bowl games, it's not something any of the players or many of the fans have experienced. Sure, in the whole scheme of conference and college football they didn't win big, but for the program both of those coaches did wonders. Duke is still playing well, and South Carolina made enough of a name for themselves that they are pulling some pretty solid talent and got Beamer to come and pull off more of what Spurrier did.
Muschamp at sc.... Pulled some talents there. That's what started beamer thing, not Steve

Jadeveon Clowney and Marcus Lattimore are quite possibly the biggest recruits in South Carolina history, and both were under Spurrier. Even Deebo Samuel was recruited under Spurrier and played a season or two. Spurrier set South Carolina up.
South Carolina has been playing football as long as Alabama. Before Spurrier, they had won ten games once - once - in their entire history (1984). It took Spurrier, in his seventh season at SC, to win 11 games, and he had three 11-win seasons in a row from 2011-13. No 10-win seasons since then, so a total four in 130 years of football.

Alabama's fourth 10-win season occurred in 1930. We've had a few since then, around 39.

@Justneedme81 I've pointed to Beamer's recruiting more than a time or two. I'm also of the opinion he is a better defensive coach than he is a recruiter: given the time and talent.

As a side note, totally unrelated ... A friend shared a comment by Rodney over on TI about Wesley Neighbors and how he's moving up the coaching ranks quickly. He's coaching safeties at Ole Miss ... wonder how that's going to set with the Pete haters.

Bama missed on Stephon Gilmore ... Beamer recruit at UofSC. Casey mentioned Lattimore—Beamer recruit. Ashlon Jeffrey, Beamer guy. Conner Shaw ...

Not gonna lie, I did not realize Beamer coached at South Carolina before coming in as Head Coach. Did not know his background before Oklahoma. Didn't even know he was at Georgia.

Yeah, I'm high on him. He is getting it going for sure.
Someone said something the other day about posting picks for the 'book ... I'll be watching their lines early this season. It'll take the market about three weeks to catch up.

Under vs UNC is at 61½ last time I looked ... I expect UofSC to put 40 on the board that game.

Someone said something the other day about posting picks for the 'book ... I'll be watching their lines early this season. It'll take the market about three weeks to catch up.

Under vs UNC is at 61½ last time I looked ... I expect UofSC to put 40 on the board that game.

Rattler has settled in a little and I think he is now comfortable at South Carolina. Will be interesting if he can keep it together and see what they can do this year.

I don’t think it necessarily has to be a better job but one where at least he’s at the top of the chain of command. He doesn’t strike me as much of a “YES” man.

The stuff that goes on at auburn doesn't bother Freeze the way it would most any other established coach. He understood very well how the game was played there, who the power players were, and how the sausage was made. From what I understand, not only does it not phase him, he eagerly accepts it. He wants to win a national championship and he's certain that at auburn, with everyone on the same page, he will. He's not a very private guy like his two predecessors, he enjoys the handshake lines with boosters, the speaking tours, and actually building relationships. Gus tried that at times, but it didn't fit his style, he had a very close circle that he didn't like to get out of. Harsin didn't really even try... in fact, he pretty much bucked it at every turn. He felt he could win it his way, by coaching them up and out scheming... all the stuff outside the football building was a complete waste of time to him unless he was with his family. But Freeze is cut from a different tree... auburn is literally the perfect program for him and he knows it. And with an admin that will go to bat and protect him as long as he's winning, and an NCAA landscape that is pretty much void of any significant recruiting rules these days, IMO, he's going to have them in the (expanded) playoff mix more often than not.

@Scrape&Search1032 here is that post on Ellis Robinson IV I saw that gave me the notion you could buy his services and that he wasn't necessarily locked in with Georgia. Couldn't find it when we initially talked about it.

I wish they would STOP putting our uniforms on these wafflers…That uniform should be earned… if they don’t know what the hell they want..Then give them a tee shirt…

@Scrape&Search1032 here is that post on Ellis Robinson IV I saw that gave me the notion you could buy his services and that he wasn't necessarily locked in with Georgia. Couldn't find it when we initially talked about it.

NIL is most certainly going to play a part, with any recruit these days. But another reason for this, I think at least, is making sure he chooses the best program for himself. I know people don't like it, but I support a player wanting to take his visits when they're committed. For one, they worked their whole lives to be where they're at at this point, so let them enjoy taking the visits. And if they feel like the other program is a better fit for them, so be it.

NIL is most certainly going to play a part, with any recruit these days. But another reason for this, I think at least, is making sure he chooses the best program for himself. I know people don't like it, but I support a player wanting to take his visits when they're committed. For one, they worked their whole lives to be where they're at at this point, so let them enjoy taking the visits. And if they feel like the other program is a better fit for them, so be it.

Agreed. Wish they would not buy into being forced to commit so early unless they are sold on that one program. Of course this day in age committing probably increases your NIL offer.

Nick Saban sayeth “You shop…We shop”… but I hope he never tries to recruit any one that flips, and then tries to take some of our players with them…

Freeze will be a problem. Adding to this is Saban is in his last few years. I don’t believe there will be dominance either way but I can see the boogs beating us when they shouldn’t especially at the cow palace.

Back
Top Bottom