| RECRUIT Four-star DL flips from Auburn to Alabama

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Coach DeBoer doing what a Bama coach needed to have done!
Four-star DL flips from Auburn to Alabama

Antonio Coleman, four-star defensive lineman from Saraland (Ala.) High School, has pulled off another surprise flip. Coleman flipped his commitment from Alabama to Auburn on December 22. He decided to run it back with a flip from the Tigers, and a return to the Crimson Tide’s ’25 class, which he announced on Saturday.

*** BOL Commitment Nugget on Antonio Coleman

Coleman took an unofficial visit to Alabama for Junior Day on February 3. It was the first time returning to the campus since his flip to the in-state SEC rival. It wasn’t the first time meeting with the new coaching staff, however, as Coach Kalen DeBoer visited Saraland in January. New defensive coordinator Kane Wommack also visited the school multiple times along with defensive line coach, Freddie Roach.

There was another significant target at Coleman’s school- Ryan Williams. The five-star wide receiver re-committed to Alabama after de-committing shortly after Nick Saban announced his retirement. These were different situations. Coleman departed from the Tide’s class prior to the Rose Bowl game against Michigan.

Coach DeBoer has impressed on the recruiting trail, once the dust settled after his arrival. More than 90-percent of the ’24 class (along with previous transfers) remained intact with their decision to stay at Alabama. Williams re-committed, Alabama also signed the No. 1 recruit in Arizona, Noah Carter, added three transfers from Washington and also former Michigan safety Keon Sabb.

Coleman flipping back to Alabama is the first recruiting win in the ’25 class for Coach DeBeor. He’s an in-state player at a premium position. It’s also a big win in the Mobile-area where Coach DeBoer spent his first day on the recruiting trail for the University of Alabama.

“He’s definitely a straightforward guy,” Coleman told BOL regarding Coach DeBoer after his visit to Alabama earlier this month. “He wants to win. His message to me was that they want me. If I go up there, I’m definitely going to have to work.

“I could be a big part of their program. That means a lot. I feel like that boosts my value as a character, as a player. Encourages me to work harder to maintain and get better. He’s (DeBoer) a great overall coach to me. I feel like that probably have a good shot at winning the natty this year.”

It has always “been a dream” of Coleman’s to play for Alabama. That’s why many considered it a major surprise when he flipped to the Tigers prior to Christmas. The relationships with the new and old staff played a major role. He knew Coach Wommack, who was previously the head coach at South Alabama, and the connection with Coach Roach supersedes most.

“It’s like father and son. That’s my dog,” Coleman said of Roach earlier this month. “Like I said, the message was, ‘We want you.’ Shot it straight with me. Told me where I would play. Told me the things I could do to help the program. He always keeps it real. That’s what I like about him.”

The 6-foot-2, 270-pounder defender had 74 tackles, 30 tackles for loss and six sacks during his junior season-WATCH HIGHLIGHTS.

Coleman is one of three current commitments for Alabama in the ’25 class. He joins Anthony Rogers, four-star running back from Carver High School in Montgomery (recently transferred from IMG Academy) and Myles Johnson, four-star linebacker from T.R. Miller High School in Brewton, Ala.

With his classmates already at Bama! He should stay! Roll Tide! Train keeps rolling!
My personal observation, unfortunately, once again done in the form of an analogy. :devilish:

Imagine: It's a huge moment in a game and you look at the crowd. You see some watching, enjoying the moment, and others holding the cell phones up to take video/pictures.

A BIG recruiting pick-up last week. You see some watching, enjoying the moment, and others are ... well, considering themselves to be the main character in the Book of Job: or they think they wrote the Book of Lamentations.

"What if he doesn't sign?" Also translated, "The wringing of hands. The gnashing of teeth."

It would be so nice to see a five star that “bleeds crimson n’ white” only.. one that doesn’t care about money.. one that is not an attention whore..I’m getting so weary of these “flippers”.. but Merry Flipmas anyway..

It would be so nice to see a five star that “bleeds crimson n’ white” only.. one that doesn’t care about money.. one that is not an attention whore..I’m getting so weary of these “flippers”.. but Merry Flipmas anyway..
I agree with you, but we are truly in a different era. With all the tv deals and money involved CFB is no longer regional and guys grow up getting to watch Ohio State or USC as much as they do Bama or LSU. Couple that with the me me me mindset of so many young men coming into college, along with instant fame and money. Loyalty or allegiance is out the window. While I am sure there will be others to come along and spend their money in the future, for older farts like myself, I do not like where this is headed and can see where down the road CFB will become like NASCAR to me. A shell of what it once was and no longer anything that commands my attention or my money.

My personal observation, unfortunately, once again done in the form of an analogy. :devilish:

Imagine: It's a huge moment in a game and you look at the crowd. You see some watching, enjoying the moment, and others holding the cell phones up to take video/pictures.

A BIG recruiting pick-up last week. You see some watching, enjoying the moment, and others are ... well, considering themselves to be the main character in the Book of Job: or they think they wrote the Book of Lamentations.

"What if he doesn't sign?" Also translated, "The wringing of hands. The gnashing of teeth."
My first thought when I saw the OP is we will know where this guy is going when he signs. My second thought was he will be in the portal as soon as he is eligible to do so.

Preach!

Back
Top Bottom