| BSB/SB đźŹ† 🥎 Women's College World Series: Alabama Softball’s Season Ends with 8-5 Loss to Florida State

What a performance. I think UCLA is right there with Alabama as the best team in OKC, and Bama just skull dragged their Olympic pitcher and Montana was perfect against their stacked lineup. Incredible.

Bama gets tomorrow off, UCLA will play OU (if OU gets by UGA) to see who goes home. I'd think UCLA would win, but Bama may have broken Garcia tonight.

Tomorrow's WCWS schedule...

11 am- Oklahoma vs. UGA (winner plays UCLA at night)

1:30 pm- Arizona vs. FSU (winner plays Oklahoma St. at night)

James Madison and Alabama enjoy a day at the pool.

Sunday:

-Winner from OU, UGA, UCLA group plays James Madison and has to win twice.

-Winner from AZ, FSU, OK. St. group plays Alabama and has to win twice.

Best of 3 series starts on Monday night...

OKLAHOMA CITY – A perfect game from Montana Fouts kept Alabama softball in the winner's bracket at the 2021 Women's College World Series as the Crimson Tide defeated the defending national champions UCLA, 6-0, Friday night.

The perfect game is the sixth in WCWS history and the first since Southern Miss' Courtney Blades in 2000. It is the sixth postseason no-hitter for Alabama, the first postseason perfect game and the first solo perfect game of Fouts' career.

Alabama (52-7) took the early lead over UCLA (47-6) with a pair of runs in the first inning. A three-run home run from Kaylee Tow in the fifth stretched the lead to 5-0 before an RBI groundout brought the score to its final tally of 6-0. Fouts (27-3) and the Tide defense held the Bruins off the basepaths, finishing the game with 14 strikeouts.

The win gives Alabama an off day Saturday before resuming play Sunday at 2:30 p.m. CT on ESPN. The Tide can potentially match up against Arizona, Florida State or Oklahoma State, who all play on Saturday.

FROM HEAD COACH PATRICK MURPHY​

"Well, it's a special, first of all, it's her birthday, so a hell of a birthday present to herself. Just to watch greatness is pretty cool. All of you were a witness to it. So, didn't think she would get better from yesterday, but she did. And these are, obviously you guys know, these are good teams. I mean, this is the King of the PAC 12, the PAC 12 champions, and to throw a perfect game against legendary UCLA is something else for a kid from a small town from northeast Kentucky. So just unbelievable feeling. And I knew she had a no-hitter, but to be honest with you, I didn't realize it was a perfect game, so Sarah Cornell had to tell me afterwards, but just fun to watch."

FROM MONTANA FOUTS​

"I honestly wasn't really thinking about it. I don't think you can think like that as a pitcher, as a player or even in the stands really, because I feel like I'm a superstitious person, but I don't know, I was just locked in each pitch because I know that one swing away they have momentum, they're a great hitting team, great pitching staff, we respect them so much. So I think -- Murph says all the time -- respect your opponents. And tonight for me I think that that just meant locking in pitch by pitch, just because I know the game could get away in a heartbeat."

HIGHLIGHTS​

• The perfect game is the sixth in WCWS history, the first since Southern Miss' Courtney Blades in 2000
  • It is the sixth postseason no-hitter for Alabama and the first postseason perfect game
  • It is the second perfect game for Fouts, her first solo and the fifth in Alabama history
  • The Tide improves its record to 22-23 all-time at the Women's College World Series
  • It is the third time Alabama has won its first two games at the WCWS, previously doing so in 2011, 2012 and 2014
  • The win was the first over UCLA in program history, breaking a streak of 10-straight wins by the Bruins in the all-time series
  • The Tide improves its current win streak to 20 games, 18 of which have come over ranked foes
  • Fouts has 22 games with double-digit strikeouts, including her last nine straight and 16 against ranked teams
  • With 344 strikeouts this season, Fouts ranks fourth on the Alabama single-season rankings, just 17 away from Jackie Traina's 2012 record of 361
  • Bailey Hemphill drew two walks to improve her career total to 236, tying Florida's Amanda Lorenz for the SEC career record

SCORING SUMMARY​

• T1 | Bailey Hemphill went opposite field for an RBI double, driving in Alexis Mack (1-0, 0 Out)
  • T1 | Jenna Johnson dropped a single into shallow center and Hemphill scored from third (2-0, 1 Out)
  • T5 | Kaylee Tow slugged a three-run home run to straightaway center (5-0, 1 Out)
  • T6 | A run came home on an RBI groundout (6-0, 1 Out)

UP NEXT – WOMEN'S COLLEGE WORLD SERIES (OKLAHOMA CITY, OKLA.)​

• Sunday, June 6 vs. TBD – 2:30 p.m. CT – ESPN

E3GDM2ZXMAUuDjY

What did you do on your 21st birthday? How's that for a story, eh? "Meh, just threw a perfect game in the WCWS, not a lot."

21 years since a perfect game.

Bama's first trip to the WCWS, 21 years ago.

I. WILL. NOT. ROOT. FOR. GEORGIA.

I don't like Gasso...it's just as simple as that.

I think they beat Oklahoma State last night if their sorry third base coach doesn't hold the runner when they went on that little rally. At that point you challenge the outfielders arm and accuracy. On top of that your team is lucky to be there and you gotta make things happen as the talent on the other end is likely better than yours.

Back
Top Bottom