| BSB/SB šŸ† šŸ„Ž Women's College World Series: Alabama Softballā€™s Season Ends with 8-5 Loss to Florida State

OKLAHOMA CITY ā€“ Alabama softball fell to Florida State, 2-0, Sunday to force an if-necessary game Monday night for a spot in the national championship series.

Alabama (53-8) and Florida State (47-11-1) were both scoreless until the bottom of the fifth when a bases-loaded walk brought the first Seminole run across. FSU tacked on another run in the sixth to make it 2-0, which ultimately proved final. The Crimson Tide was limited to just two hits and a walk, the latter giving Bailey Hemphill the SEC career record with 237, passing former record-holder Amanda Lorenz (2016-19) from Florida. Lexi Kilfoyl (13-4) took the loss in the complete-game effort, striking out nine.

Due to weather delays, both if-necessary games will be played on Monday, with Oklahoma playing James Madison at 3 p.m. CT and Alabama and Florida State following at 6 p.m. CT. Both winners will advance to the national championship series which will start on Tuesday.

FROM HEAD COACH PATRICK MURPHY​

"They're two really good pitching performances. We only had one runner at second base. You're not going to win very many games when you only get one runner to second and she doesn't move from there. So, we had first and second and one out and I think we got a K and a 4-to-3. That can't be your only threatening inning. So, tip your cap to their pitchers and we need to do a better job tomorrow night offensively."

HIGHLIGHTS​

• Bailey Hemphill's fourth inning walk was the 237th of her career, passing Florida's Amanda Lorenz to set a new SEC career record
  • Alabama is now 22-24 all-time at the Women's College World Series
  • The Tide fell to 6-7 all-time vs. Florida State, including four straight losses to the Seminoles
  • The Tide's win streak came to an end at 20 games, 18 of which were over ranked foes

SCORING SUMMARY​

• B5 | Florida State scored the first run of the game on a bases-loaded walk (0-1, 2 Out)
  • B6 | Josie Muffley singled through the right side to drive in another run (0-2, 2 Out)

UP NEXT ā€“ WOMEN'S COLLEGE WORLD SERIES (OKLAHOMA CITY, OKLA.)​

• Monday, June 7 vs. Florida State ā€“ 6 p.m. CT - ESPN

I wonder who the day delay will help more. My gut tells me Oklahoma and FSU benefit more from it since they needed to win two games in one day but that is now stretched. Will they trot out the same pitchers now that won yesterday?

I donā€™t think it helps anyone. That was proven last night. FSU played up until 2:30am Sunday morning and then came out looking sharper than Bama that last played on Friday. Bama just needs to eliminate their errors and miscues. Also if they donā€™t start getting people on base and in scoring position itā€™s not going to make any difference whoā€™s pitching. As for last nightā€™s game with FSU. Their pitchers were well prepared. They did their homework and it showed.

I wonder who the day delay will help more. My gut tells me Oklahoma and FSU benefit more from it since they needed to win two games in one day but that is now stretched. Will they trot out the same pitchers now that won yesterday?

I'd think it helps FSU the most... gets them some needed rest/recovery time, and gives their ace (who came in relief last night) and extra day, she's thrown quite a bit in the WCWS.

Had a dream (nightmare?) last night that FSU eliminated Bama... part of the same dream? Julio and Mark Ingram were for some reason at my house and were wanting to buy it so they'd have a place to stay in when they were in town to visit The University.

Had a dream (nightmare?) last night that FSU eliminated Bama... part of the same dream? Julio and Mark Ingram were for some reason at my house and were wanting to buy it so they'd have a place to stay in when they were in town to visit The University.
Bad maybe (losing to FSU), but not quit a nightmare when you got 2 NFL millionaire's wanting to buy your house. $$$$$$$$. :p

OKLAHOMA CITY ā€“ Alabama softball fell to Florida State, 2-0, Sunday to force an if-necessary game Monday night for a spot in the national championship series.

Alabama (53-8) and Florida State (47-11-1) were both scoreless until the bottom of the fifth when a bases-loaded walk brought the first Seminole run across. FSU tacked on another run in the sixth to make it 2-0, which ultimately proved final. The Crimson Tide was limited to just two hits and a walk, the latter giving Bailey Hemphill the SEC career record with 237, passing former record-holder Amanda Lorenz (2016-19) from Florida. Lexi Kilfoyl (13-4) took the loss in the complete-game effort, striking out nine.

Due to weather delays, both if-necessary games will be played on Monday, with Oklahoma playing James Madison at 3 p.m. CT and Alabama and Florida State following at 6 p.m. CT. Both winners will advance to the national championship series which will start on Tuesday.

FROM HEAD COACH PATRICK MURPHY​

"They're two really good pitching performances. We only had one runner at second base. You're not going to win very many games when you only get one runner to second and she doesn't move from there. So, we had first and second and one out and I think we got a K and a 4-to-3. That can't be your only threatening inning. So, tip your cap to their pitchers and we need to do a better job tomorrow night offensively."

HIGHLIGHTS​

• Bailey Hemphill's fourth inning walk was the 237th of her career, passing Florida's Amanda Lorenz to set a new SEC career record
  • Alabama is now 22-24 all-time at the Women's College World Series
  • The Tide fell to 6-7 all-time vs. Florida State, including four straight losses to the Seminoles
  • The Tide's win streak came to an end at 20 games, 18 of which were over ranked foes

SCORING SUMMARY​

• B5 | Florida State scored the first run of the game on a bases-loaded walk (0-1, 2 Out)
  • B6 | Josie Muffley singled through the right side to drive in another run (0-2, 2 Out)

UP NEXT ā€“ WOMEN'S COLLEGE WORLD SERIES (OKLAHOMA CITY, OKLA.)​

• Monday, June 7 vs. Florida State ā€“ 6 p.m. CT - ESPN

Back
Top Bottom