| BSB/SB đźŹ† 🥎 Women's College World Series: Alabama Softball’s Season Ends with 8-5 Loss to Florida State

I love our girls but our inability to hit the ball is going to end us whether it be tommorow or next week. We have 1 person who can actually hit and we play teams who have 4 or 5 who can hit. Also, that mistake by the ss was killer.

I love our girls but our inability to hit the ball is going to end us whether it be tommorow or next week. We have 1 person who can actually hit and we play teams who have 4 or 5 who can hit. Also, that mistake by the ss was killer.
As long as you have Fouts on the mound they can beat anyone. So the Offense and some Defense mistakes cost them. The pitching was good enough to win.

Pitcher throws a freaking meat strike with bases loaded and full count we likely play on. How the hell do you throw anything other than a fast ball and let your defense help you? Take in the fact the whole game hasn't been a hit fest, and take your chances.

Pitcher throws a freaking meat strike with bases loaded and full count we likely play on. How the hell do you throw anything other than a fast ball and let your defense help you? Take in the fact the whole game hasn't been a hit fest, and take your chances.
That was a good pitch that was called ball 4
Was called a strike several times during game...a ball some...strike some

but gotta score to win....You know baseball....

"Good pitching beats good hitting...and visa versa"

and baseball is a different game every day...

That was a good pitch that was called ball 4
Was called a strike several times during game...a ball some...strike some

but gotta score to win....You know baseball....

"Good pitching beats good hitting...and visa versa"

and baseball is a different game every day...

I still don't see how you throw anything other than your best pitch in a situation like that. Hard to beat a fast ball right down the pipe, rather than a sinking pitch you have no clue where it ends up.

Alabama hit .314 for the season. In the SEC, that's pretty damn good.

Again, I love our girls but the slap hitters always seem ineffective when you start playing real teams. THose slap hitters and Bailey hitting 420 skews that team average some. When I look at Arizona's, Oklahoma's and UCLA's line up they had 3 or 4 girls with numbers like Hemphill. I am afraid that our lack of hitting will ending up costing us which sucks because with our pitching we dont need much hitting to win.

Again, I love our girls but the slap hitters always seem ineffective when you start playing real teams. THose slap hitters and Bailey hitting 420 skews that team average some. When I look at Arizona's, Oklahoma's and UCLA's line up they had 3 or 4 girls with numbers like Hemphill. I am afraid that our lack of hitting will ending up costing us which sucks because with our pitching we dont need much hitting to win.

Maybe the bats will go quiet and be the team's downfall, but if Alabama played the same schedule of OU, you could probably add at least .050 to just about every hitter's average. They looked pretty stout Friday night against the 2x national player of the year.

Alabama softball (52-8) lost for the first time since April 17 in the semifinal round of the Women’s College World Series against FSU, falling 2-0 on Sunday in Oklahoma City.

The loss snaps a 20-game winning streak for the Crimson Tide and forces the “if necessary” game to be played Monday at 6 p.m. CT on ESPN. The championship series start will be pushed back to Tuesday.

Lexi Kilfoyl struck out nine but walked in the eventual winning run with the bases loaded in the fifth inning. Alabama had just two hits and only had one runner reach second.

Here are three things we learned as the Crimson Tide gear up for a win-or-go-home matchup:

Defensive miscues the difference​

Alabama only committed one error in the loss but had some minor defensive miscues throughout the game.

Shortstop Taylor Clark did not charge a ground ball in the fifth inning, resulting in another base runner. Elissa Brown had trouble picking up the ball in the outfield, allowing a Seminoles batter to reach third, and Bailey Hemphill overthrew Savannah Woodard on a steal attempt allowing the runner to advance to third.

Lack of support for Kilfoyl​

The Crimson Tide had just two hits. An Alabama runner did not reach second base until the fifth inning and only did that one time.

Alabama drew only one walk, that one giving Hemphill the all-time record for walks in SEC history (237).

FSU prided on small ball​

Florida State continues to battle in the NCAA Tournament. The Seminoles continue to win low-scoring, pitchers-duel type of games with singles and aggressive baserunning.

"I know everyone likes the long ball, but the small ball way of us has carried us." FSU head coach Lonni Alameda. "It's so cool to see an aggressive baserunning decision pay off."

What's next​

Alabama will play FSU on Monday at 6 p.m. CT on ESPN. The winner will advance to the best-of-three championship series beginning Tuesday against the winner of Oklahoma and James Madison.

Back
Top Bottom