| FTBL Stadium Expansion

hopefully with the expansion comes a new sound system for the stadium. i've thought that ours at BDS was behind the times for quite a while now.

Atlanta_Tider said:
Lamon said:
hopefully with the expansion comes a new sound system for the stadium. i've thought that ours at BDS was behind the times for quite a while now.
It got updated with the expansion and still sounds like ass!

A lot of that has to do with the structure, not the equipment. We'd need to bring in someone in the sound industry to fully explain it...I had a long conversation with a guy when we were expanding on the N. end zone and it's a situation with few remedies...if any.

TerryP said:
Atlanta_Tider said:
Lamon said:
It got updated with the expansion and still sounds like ass!

A lot of that has to do with the structure, not the equipment. We'd need to bring in someone in the sound industry to fully explain it...I had a long conversation with a guy when we were expanding on the N. end zone and it's a situation with few remedies...if any.
Believe me, I know all about it. But I don't goto ballgames to be worried about the speaker systems! :D

The one BIG problem I have with BDS is that the first 5 or so rows of seats are pretty useless. You would do better to stay home and watch it on TV. That said, I love the place and can't wait for the expansion.

Lamon said:
bamaupsman said:
The one BIG problem I have with BDS is that the first 5 or so rows of seats are pretty useless.

thats with about any stadium though. i know legion field was the same way.
The problem with BDS is how far the actual lower bowl seating is from the field.If it was 15' closer on each sideline, those lower seats would not be that bad. My season tickets used to be on row 4, personally I loved sitting there and I am tall enough to see over the players.

One thing I have never understood is why don't they dig down about 4 or 5 feet and set the field down a bit. Sort of the way Kansas motor speedway is done. That way all the RV's on the infield don't block the view of the track. They could dig down the field a few feet and then charge the regular price for those seats.

Lowering the field level is growing more common. Take Ohio State for instance. The big Horseshoe used to have a track around the field. They lower the field 14 feet, which allowed thousands of added seats in their case.

Obviously there could be no more seats in the endzones as the stands are already near the endlines, however there is enough room on the sidelines for quite a few rows -- translating into several thousands in our case.

rammerjammer said:
One thing I have never understood is why don't they dig down about 4 or 5 feet and set the field down a bit. Sort of the way Kansas motor speedway is done. That way all the RV's on the infield don't block the view of the track. They could dig down the field a few feet and then charge the regular price for those seats.
Ga Tech did this when they redid their stadium a few years ago, made a world of difference and added more seating!

I came across these this morning. I have no reason to believe they are correct or even close, but I did find them interesting to see. These were made by a fan who is a poster on BOL. Again, nothing official, just interesting to look at considering we are about in the off season.

BDS2014-4.jpg

BDS2014-3.jpg

BDS2014-2.jpg

BDS2014-1.jpg

I love the lowering the feild idea.. So does Saban from what I've heard/read. My only problem with it is that in doing that you mess up the angle of the seating all the way up, so the seating all teh way up on the East and West sides would have to be redone. or at least some of it would be, unless you lower the field significantly enough to not have to do that... and if you do that... players will have to take a giant elevator to get to field level. I'm all for expanding the South endzone...although it will screw with where we sit now I assume... I still don't get why the architects didn't connect the upper decks.. we lost probably 5-10k of seating just on the North sidebecasue we didn't connect them...

Nate said:
I love the lowering the feild idea.. So does Saban from what I've heard/read. My only problem with it is that in doing that you mess up the angle of the seating all the way up, so the seating all teh way up on the East and West sides would have to be redone. or at least some of it would be, unless you lower the field significantly enough to not have to do that... and if you do that... players will have to take a giant elevator to get to field level. I'm all for expanding the South endzone...although it will screw with where we sit now I assume... I still don't get why the architects didn't connect the upper decks.. we lost probably 5-10k of seating just on the North sidebecasue we didn't connect them...

The major limiting factor in lowering the field could be the sight lines from the end zone seats. You want everyone to be able to see the whole field. As to connecting the two upper decks, they're not level with each other, so it wouldn't look very good. When they were designed, they didn't consider that they would ever be connected.

RTR,

Tim

Lowering the fields really is the only thing that can be done after we expand the South endzone. So of course I'm for lowering the field :D . As far the the massive jumbotrons.......Bring them on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nate said:
in doing that you mess up the angle of the seating all the way up, so the seating all teh way up on the East and West sides would have to be redone....

Not going to happen from what I understand.

Also, Terry, those renderings are great.

Back
Top Bottom