| FTBL Just for fun: What would you want to see as UA's on-the-field sponsorship logo?

You don’t pay a sponsorship for player recruitment. Players aren’t going to be looking at the logo on the field during a game. You’re looking at it as a recruiting tool. Businesses like Ferrari are not going to do recruiting for a school. Ferrari (or whoever) doesn’t care about recruiting or selling a car or two to draftees in the top 10 (which won’t be from the same school so putting a logo on a single field doesn’t help exposure). They are in the business of making money - lots of it. The most expensive Ferrari costs $580,000 with most between $200k - $400k. High end companies don’t give a crap about NIL. They are in the business of selling their product so they can stay in business to sell more of their products.

And, if Byrne is able to sell a sponsorship for $5 million but Nick wants it for $3 million, I’m betting Byrne takes the $5 million.

You keep referring to Ferrari. I'm referring to the dealership. They don't just sell new Ferrari's, they also sale pre-owned that can get into the millions, but you obviously knew that. You went from $200,000 to now moving to $400,000, so the range is expanding already, and they have models almost touching a million brand new. Anyways, keep believing you point of view, but luxury dealers are already in this market and not being shy about it. As far as Saban and Byrne, Saban won every salary negotiation, so I think he takes a branding opportunity as well if he wanted it bad enough. All that being said, he probably doesn't care enough to look into it or discuss, because he's living his best life and is allowing others to run his interest.

My suggestions for per game sponsorship

Hilltoppers -Just for feet

Bulls - Milo's burgers

Bulldogs - Sunshine mills

Gamecocks - Chester's

Tigers - Safari park

Bears -Bryant bank

Auburn - Blue ribbon dairy
Man, Just for Feet. When we would go to Birmingham for my brother’s doctor appointments, we would go in that store and just drool at the shoes. That place was awesome! Had half a basketball court in there, a hotdog stand, music playing, that place was so much fun for a kid. I’ve long forgotten that place.

You keep referring to Ferrari. I'm referring to the dealership. They don't just sell new Ferrari's, they also sale pre-owned that can get into the millions, but you obviously knew that. You went from $200,000 to now moving to $400,000, so the range is expanding already, and they have models almost touching a million brand new. Anyways, keep believing you point of view, but luxury dealers are already in this market and not being shy about it. As far as Saban and Byrne, Saban won every salary negotiation, so I think he takes a branding opportunity as well if he wanted it bad enough. All that being said, he probably doesn't care enough to look into it or discuss, because he's living his best life and is allowing others to run his interest.

A dealership is even less likely to sponsor a field. As for the price range, I looked up new pricing.

Saban won every salary negotiation? There was no negotiation. His contract said he would be the highest paid. If a coach got a raise that moved him ahead of Saban, his contract was bumped up. There was no negotiation.

A dealership is even less likely to sponsor a field. As for the price range, I looked up new pricing.

Saban won every salary negotiation? There was no negotiation. His contract said he would be the highest paid. If a coach got a raise that moved him ahead of Saban, his contract was bumped up. There was no negotiation.

New pricing is right there on their website, I wouldn't lie about it knowing how easy it is to research. The links were more to the point that luxury brands are actively involved in college sports as you said they were terrible ROI ideas.

Meaning he won it when he negotiated that in his contract. Bingo. It didn't just appear out of nowhere.

Man, Just for Feet. When we would go to Birmingham for my brother’s doctor appointments, we would go in that store and just drool at the shoes. That place was awesome! Had half a basketball court in there, a hotdog stand, music playing, that place was so much fun for a kid. I’ve long forgotten that place.

I was there the day Jordan came by in 1989. It was a madhouse. My mom dropped me and a friend off, we wanted to get an autograph. I went in and bought a Jordan poster... kids were everywhere, shoulder to shoulder. The fire marshall would have had a stroke. Anyway, Jordan got there and went upstairs into an office. We then found out, he was only signing the new Jordan shoes, which obviously had to be bought. He sat up in the office signing each pair of shoes, however many there were... they sold out of them. I, obviously, didn't have money to get any, nor did my friend. So I just sat around with that stupid poster. Eventually, I went to go take a piss... right after I walked in, the door opened behind me, security walked in and Jordan then came in and used the urinal beside me (it was a small restroom). Then he went back up to the 2nd floor office and shortly after, we left. The ridiculous thing is, while there's really no realistic scenario of me ever being able to buy a pair of Jordan's that afternoon (I want to say they were $110?), had I been able to somehow, unlike 99% of the other idiots that wore them to school (remember, signed by Jordan) and wore them out, signature faded, muddy, etc... I would have never even considered wearing them. Partly because I thought the shoes were ugly. Regardless, barring them being lost or stolen, I'd still have them signed and unworn. No idea what they'd be worth, but certainly much more than that damn poster.

I was there the day Jordan came by in 1989. It was a madhouse. My mom dropped me and a friend off, we wanted to get an autograph. I went in and bought a Jordan poster... kids were everywhere, shoulder to shoulder. The fire marshall would have had a stroke. Anyway, Jordan got there and went upstairs into an office. We then found out, he was only signing the new Jordan shoes, which obviously had to be bought. He sat up in the office signing each pair of shoes, however many there were... they sold out of them. I, obviously, didn't have money to get any, nor did my friend. So I just sat around with that stupid poster. Eventually, I went to go take a piss... right after I walked in, the door opened behind me, security walked in and Jordan then came in and used the urinal beside me (it was a small restroom). Then he went back up to the 2nd floor office and shortly after, we left. The ridiculous thing is, while there's really no realistic scenario of me ever being able to buy a pair of Jordan's that afternoon (I want to say they were $110?), had I been able to somehow, unlike 99% of the other idiots that wore them to school (remember, signed by Jordan) and wore them out, signature faded, muddy, etc... I would have never even considered wearing them. Partly because I thought the shoes were ugly. Regardless, barring them being lost or stolen, I'd still have them signed and unworn. No idea what they'd be worth, but certainly much more than that damn poster.

Funny you bring this up, because I was looking last night for that Jordan "Wings" poster signed and they were going for $7,000-18,000 based on condition.

The ridiculous thing is, while there's really no realistic scenario of me ever being able to buy a pair of Jordan's that afternoon (I want to say they were $110?)
I had a serious argument with myself when I heard myself saying "I'm not spending $110 on shoes" when I'm in the store spending more than that, on shoes. The thing is, other than having new soles a few times, I have those shoes. The Jordan's? I doubt it.

I love stories like this. As kids and our coveting our heros just for them to write their name or see them ( you may or ...may not...have seen him or different parts of him) that very few have......
great great story. Thanks for sharing

I love stories like this. As kids and our coveting our heros just for them to write their name or see them ( you may or ...may not...have seen him or different parts of him) that very few have......
great great story. Thanks for sharing

A few years later, one of my best friends landed a gig as a Baron's bat boy/clubhouse attendant... at the time when Jordan was playing in B'ham. He got all sorts of cool stuff. I wasn't living in B'ham anymore at the time, but I was still pretty jealous. 😆

What a story, BVG, that’s awesome! I remember seeing advertisements in the store for Jordan and Magic and some others that would be visiting. Hey, nobody else got to take a piss beside him! That’s one to brag about right there. I won’t ask for any details… 🤣

They used to have all the VIP visitors sign the painted cinder block wall near where the registers were... do you remember that? There was a portion with signatures all over it. I was there the day James Worthy stopped in... I don't remember why, I didn't go to see him I don't think... but I remember him putting some shots up on that little court and signing the wall before he left... as a kid, those players seemed like they were 9 feet tall...

Did you still have the poster?

No, I don't think I ever even opened it. I had probably 10-12 posters in my room at one point, but I don't recall ever having a Jordan poster on the wall (I probably gave it away). Most of mine were all baseball, but I had a badass Derrick Thomas one...

IMG_0857.jpeg

No, I don't think I ever even opened it. I had probably 10-12 posters in my room at one point, but I don't recall ever having a Jordan poster on the wall (I probably gave it away). Most of mine were all baseball, but I had a badass Derrick Thomas one...

View attachment 28097
I had that one also. I might still have it rolled up in my attic.

Back
Top Bottom