| FTBL Just for fun: What would you want to see as UA's on-the-field sponsorship logo?

Meh......ol fat boy Jimmy used to spread the wealth to all the SEC. Near the end of his advertisements, his commercials were extremely stupid.

One he did with Stallings was hilarious. They were out turkey hunting and Jimmy had on a bright ass yellow rain coat instead of camo. Stallings was not much in the way of acting or being a spokesperson, but he played that role pretty well with his disgust for Jimmy's hunting attire.
IMG_1819.jpeg

It would be Saban donating the money for the emblem, not Ferrari themselves in my story. And it would be more of a recruiting tool. He can sell 10-15 cars and get his money back or a million pounds of sausage.
So if it costs $5 million, that’s $333,333 to $500,000 for each sale. Not much of a profit margin (before other operating costs).

So if it costs $5 million, that’s $333,333 to $500,000 for each sale. Not much of a profit margin (before other operating costs).

Saban ain't worried about that. It's a status symbol that would capture the attention of recruits.

I would be curious what their sales look like and if someone comes in for LA Ferrari, Enzo, or F40/F50's. Then they have their profit margin and are making their money back.

Saban ain't worried about that. It's a status symbol that would capture the attention of recruits.

I would be curious what their sales look like and if someone comes in for LA Ferrari, Enzo, or F40/F50's. Then they have their profit margin and are making their money back.

When recruits ask, “What’s the Ferrari relationship about?” and DeBoer answers, “Just a field sponsor,” the attention goes away. Having been involved with consulting with companies on identifying relevant sponsors to maximize their marketing dollar, I would tell Alabama and Ferrari to punt, on third down.

When recruits ask, “What’s the Ferrari relationship about?” and DeBoer answers, “Just a field sponsor,” the attention goes away. Having been involved with consulting with companies on identifying relevant sponsors to maximize their marketing dollar, I would tell Alabama and Ferrari to punt, on third down.

Just a field sponsor? Why on Earth would that be his response? If you had the experience you speak of you know the type of stories and relationships that could build would be priceless for recruiting and attention. Those first round draft picks then have a relationship to buy that car when they make that NFL money.

Just a field sponsor? Why on Earth would that be his response? If you had the experience you speak of you know the type of stories and relationships that could build would be priceless for recruiting and attention. Those first round draft picks then have a relationship to buy that car when they make that NFL money.
Again, it makes no financial sense to pay the sponsor fee to get a few recruits, and a few people in the market, to buy your car. There isn’t even a Ferrari dealership in the state of Alabama (Saban’s is in Nashville).

Sponsorships cost money. When you spend money in business you want to generate more money than what you spend. Building those relationships with players would require multiple years of sponsorship. Do the math on the ROI of spending several million dollars to sell a $200-$300k car. How many do you need to sell to break even (which is never anyone’s business goal)? If that’s what you call “priceless” then I have some oceanfront property in Nebraska to sell you.

Again, it makes no financial sense to pay the sponsor fee to get a few recruits, and a few people in the market, to buy your car. There isn’t even a Ferrari dealership in the state of Alabama (Saban’s is in Nashville).

Sponsorships cost money. When you spend money in business you want to generate more money than what you spend. Building those relationships with players would require multiple years of sponsorship. Do the math on the ROI of spending several million dollars to sell a $200-$300k car. How many do you need to sell to break even (which is never anyone’s business goal)? If that’s what you call “priceless” then I have some oceanfront property in Nebraska to sell you.

Dude, there are dealerships all over the country giving cars to players. How many Fords did that dealership sell in Columbus that gave Jaxson Smith-Njigba his custom truck after his Rose Bowl performance? Easily a $100,000 truck, and my guess is not many just because of him. A Lamborghini dealership "leasing" them to players right now in Austin, Texas. Money is not a concern to those types of people/businesses/entities. You're looking at this as an investment, when I'm telling you powerful boosters are doing it for the notoriety and supplying their program with funds. The $3M number is being thrown around, but make no mistake that Saban could get Byrne to limit that number to satisfy your ROI I'm willing to bet. It's no different than the gamble NFL franchises go through every single year when they draft a first round talent. Who cares where his dealership is? When has logistics ever been an issue? You're looking at this through the eyes of a mid-level business that needs to see the gains to justify the expense. A luxury car dealership isn't for the masses, it's for a select group. $200-300,000 car? What about most of their models being over $500,000? Who is that select group? Well, elite athletes are one. I'm not going to continue to go back and forth with you on this because you're seeing it through one lens, which is a Marketing 101 view, not the one for which college football is basing itself on currently which is creating NIL money for their players. Write offs are a big thing for large business.

Dude, there are dealerships all over the country giving cars to players. How many Fords did that dealership sell in Columbus that gave Jaxson Smith-Njigba his custom truck after his Rose Bowl performance? Easily a $100,000 truck, and my guess is not many just because of him. A Lamborghini dealership "leasing" them to players right now in Austin, Texas. Money is not a concern to those types of people/businesses/entities. You're looking at this as an investment, when I'm telling you powerful boosters are doing it for the notoriety and supplying their program with funds. The $3M number is being thrown around, but make no mistake that Saban could get Byrne to limit that number to satisfy your ROI I'm willing to bet. It's no different than the gamble NFL franchises go through every single year when they draft a first round talent. Who cares where his dealership is? When has logistics ever been an issue? You're looking at this through the eyes of a mid-level business that needs to see the gains to justify the expense. A luxury car dealership isn't for the masses, it's for a select group. $200-300,000 car? What about most of their models being over $500,000? Who is that select group? Well, elite athletes are one. I'm not going to continue to go back and forth with you on this because you're seeing it through one lens, which is a Marketing 101 view, not the one for which college football is basing itself on currently which is creating NIL money for their players. Write offs are a big thing for large business.
You don’t pay a sponsorship for player recruitment. Players aren’t going to be looking at the logo on the field during a game. You’re looking at it as a recruiting tool. Businesses like Ferrari are not going to do recruiting for a school. Ferrari (or whoever) doesn’t care about recruiting or selling a car or two to draftees in the top 10 (which won’t be from the same school so putting a logo on a single field doesn’t help exposure). They are in the business of making money - lots of it. The most expensive Ferrari costs $580,000 with most between $200k - $400k. High end companies don’t give a crap about NIL. They are in the business of selling their product so they can stay in business to sell more of their products.

And, if Byrne is able to sell a sponsorship for $5 million but Nick wants it for $3 million, I’m betting Byrne takes the $5 million.

Back
Top Bottom