| NEWS Shank 'bout to have that awkward conversation with Saban (Arrested for DUI)

I have so much more of a problem with a DUI than Cam or Hootie smoking weed.
He could have been smoking. I've not seen any reference to a BAC test or anything of that sort.

Hell, he could have backed into a car in a parking lot and didn't know he'd done so.

We'll get more detail ... it's not like there's a game next week.

Remember back to my days in the military. There was a term used then, not certain if it's still in use - Alcohol Related Incident. Say for example, you got into a fight on base/post and you were drunk, the penalties were higher due to alcohol being involved.

<wrings hands runs around in panic our pets heads are falling off>

J/K not really

Stupid decision but then it wouldn't be news if it weren't a stupid decision.

This combined with the "weight issues" that kept him out of the 1st team rotation in the Spring game and the fact that there is serious competition at the guard spot may be the death knell for Shank.

I just can't understand why anyone would get behind the wheel after drinking.
Who would have thought in this day and age we have regressed as a society not capable of using common sense as not to drink and drive, but compound the situation with texting and driving..... can't wait until we evolve into the drunken, texting and driving society. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
He could have been smoking. I've not seen any reference to a BAC test or anything of that sort.

Hell, he could have backed into a car in a parking lot and didn't know he'd done so.

We'll get more detail ... it's not like there's a game next week.

I'm waiting as well. I'm thinking backed into a parked car, hit a mailbox, etc. I also wonder whether it may have been weed or if it was alcohol.

Take into account his issues with his weight gain during the Spring and his demotion to 2nd team, Shank may find himself missing several games.

So hes a pothead that did something stupid? Make him pay a fine, do some community service, take a drug awareness class, run till he pukes, and move on with our lives.

So hes a pothead that did something stupid?

He could have been smoking.

Based on the officer's report, that could be true.

Based on what I've seen over the years, this doesn't fit with being stoned.

...and that he performed poorly on the eye tests and could not keep his balance and started too soon during the walk-and-turn test. He reported that Taylor was walking unsteadily, swayed while standing and needed support exiting his vehicle. The officer checked boxes describing Taylor's attitude as cooperative, indifferent, carefree and sleepy. The officer noted that he did not smell alcohol...
I'm just speculating, but that sounds more like being under the influence of pharmaceuticals.

Taylor was charged with driving under the influence of any substance which impairs the mental or physical faculties and cited for leaving the scene of an accident.
Speculation. I don't know. Heck, haven't bothered to try to find out more detail.

** Personal opinion: While we saw the docs sent to the Louisiana police and DA in Monroe with the other two, I'm guessing we're going to see more in the media request that kind of release from the Athletic Dept. I understand the motives with sending that info to the DA but I fear the precedent some will take it to mean.

Here's more from Taylor's lawyer.

-------------------------------------------

TUSCALOOSA — Suspended Alabama senior offensive guard Alphonse Taylor didn’t have had any alcohol in his system when he was arrested July 17, and his lawyer believes a head injury may have contributed to his “lethargic” state at the time of his DUI arrest earlier this month.

Taylor registered a 0.00 blood-alcohol content (BAC) during a state-sanctioned breath test at around 9:20 a.m., within 30 minutes of his July 17 arrest after being involved in a car accident in which he hit a parked vehicle inside The Woodlands apartment complex, according to the arrest report obtained through an open records request.

“Anytime you have a .00 blood-alcohol (level) and there’s not a long time period between the arrest and the time of the test, it raises an eyebrow,” Taylor’s attorney, Jason Neff, said Friday. “What compounds this situation is we have a traffic accident in which (Taylor) hit his head on the steering wheel. … As we look forward, it’s going to be difficult for the city to establish that there’s enough evidence here (to prosecute for DUI).”

Taylor, 22, has been indefinitely suspended by Alabama head coach Nick Saban after he was charged with two misdemeanor counts of driving under the influence and leaving the scene of an accident July 17. Taylor's secondary charge resulted after it was determined he also was involved in a previous accident inside The Woodlands apartment complex earlier that morning.

Taylor has an initial court hearing set for 1:30 p.m. Monday, but Neff, a longtime Tuscaloosa-area DUI attorney who has previously defended Alabama football players, expects the court will agree to move the initial hearing to another date in the future.

Despite the absence of alcohol in Taylor’s system, Tuscaloosa Police Captain Brad Mason indicated there could be other reasons for his impairment that could also result in a DUI arrest.

“The DUI statue in Alabama allows for a DUI arrest to be made based on different circumstances,” Cpt. Mason said. “The two circumstances that are common for most legal drinking-age adults are under the influence of alcohol or under the influence of another substance other than alcohol that could impair the driving.”

According to the arrest report and additional DUI field notes, a shoeless Taylor was found reclined behind the wheel of his 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe after allegedly hitting another vehicle in The Woodlands parking lot.

The responding Tuscaloosa Police officer spoke to Taylor and found his speech to be “slow and slurred” and his movements “very lethargic.” Taylor denied using any alcohol or other medications and said he had no medical condition that might have contributed to the accident.

The 6-foot-6, 330-pound Taylor complained of a cut to his leg but “refused medical treatment” according to the report, but was still attended to by medical personnel at the scene, according to Cpt. Mason.

While speaking with the officer, Taylor dropped his phone between his feet and “struggled and swayed” to retrieve it. Taylor then went through a battery of field sobriety tests during which he performed poorly, according to the reports, including taking 10 and 14 steps on the a nine-step walk-and-turn test during which he failed to keep his balance and started too soon.

On the field notes, the officer checked boxes that indicated Taylor was “indifferent” but “cooperative” during the arrest, while appearing “carefree” and “sleepy.” Taylor also reportedly needed support exiting his vehicle and was unsteady and swaying while standing.

Once back at the police station, Taylor’s state-sponsored “breath alcohol anaylsis” indicated a 0.00-gram/210-liter reading, revealing no alcohol in his system.

There were no additional tests conducted on Taylor during his processing, according to sources, meaning no blood tests could be used to determine if there was anything else in his system that could have led to his “lethargic” state.

“I trust the officer’s judgment at the time, he was out there not me, but you look back at it now and you think, ‘Oh well, maybe there’s not enough evidence to convict,’” Neff said. “The level needed to make the arrest for probable cause is much lower than in a trial when you have to meet the burden of reasonable doubt.”

Link

Back
Top Bottom