| BSB/SB Roster updates as Vaughn rebuilds the Alabama baseball team

What's his coaching philosophy on hitting ?

He incorporates a lot of analytics to zero in on each hitter's strengths and weaknesses at the plate and adjusts from there. He's a heavy "power" guy, someone that Colby Shelton should like. Unlike many that emphasis power though, his approach is also about limiting K's and maximizing on base opportunities... basically, if it isn't a strike, take your ball(s) and get your free pass. They led they Big 10 in HR's and BB's his past season (also easily led in BA with a .309). In a way, some similarities to how Oats uses data for his shooters... take shoot the 3 if it is in your hot zone, or drive/pass if it isn't a good shot. While I'm not a huge proponent of everything analytics in baseball, it certainly has a place when correctly applied and received, and it seems that Vaughn has his system down.

Biggest question for me is, what will his staff look like? Does he bring all his guys with him, or hire someone(s) familiar with the lay of the land here? I'd have never said this a year ago, but asking Jackson to stick around won't be the worst idea... but there are plenty of good pitching coaches out there. And extra slot opens up for next year too... I doubt it'll be filled in this manner, but an older, veteran coach who'd basically serve as a bench coach would be something I'd consider if I was that young and making this leap to the SEC.

Was just coming to post this. Seems like a good hire. He should already be on the phone with our current roster guys and our signing class. Agree that asking Jackson to stay wouldn’t be a bad idea, unless he gets an offer for an HC position. I thought JJ did a great job developing our staff considering the circumstances of losing your weekend starters (Jean back in the fall and Hess and Hitt during the early part of the season) and getting Holman, McMillan and McNairy to go head to head against some of the best lineups that college baseball has to offer.

Was just coming to post this. Seems like a good hire. He should already be on the phone with our current roster guys and our signing class. Agree that asking Jackson to stay wouldn’t be a bad idea, unless he gets an offer for an HC position. I thought JJ did a great job developing our staff considering the circumstances of losing your weekend starters (Jean back in the fall and Hess and Hitt during the early part of the season) and getting Holman, McMillan and McNairy to go head to head against some of the best lineups that college baseball has to offer.

There were rumblings last night that the idea was being discussed. I really thought Jackson would go grab a decent HC job, but it sounds like the possibility of him sticking around is certainly in play.

First thing I did earlier today was snoop their roster... specifically their SS and 1B... I then gave up on it when it was clear that they were just going to promote an assistant. But there will be some good fits out there in the portal either way, and UA will be attractive in most all areas... only thing they lack is the top end NIL money that some of the bigger dogs throw around.... but there's a lot of fish out there and the big dogs can't grab them all.

Have not followed that part of things closely especially for non football sports. So why is Bama not considered a big dog? It can't be because the money is not there. Is it all going to the two big sports?

The NIL money comes from the fans, boosters, etc... not the school and/or athletic funds. You can make an earmarked donation to a certain sport like baseball, join booster clubs like the Grand Slammers, and buy products from Yea Alabama (among other things)... but the monies generated by football, monies from the league/TV contracts, etc... can't be used for it specifically. As an example, take LSU for instance, they have some fat wallet baseball doners who pump and lot of money into their NIL pot.

Just got through listening to Coach Vaughn’s presser and I’m sold!!! Excited to see the product he puts on the field!!

I don't think he's going to have much of an issue creating recruiting relationships down here with his energy, attitude and enthusiasm. Comes across straight forward and genuine... Hopefully he and Jackson mesh well together, I figure they probably will. Always some degree of risk with a hire like this, but I really like the potential.

Back
Top Bottom