| BSB/SB Alabama baseball coaching search

Who do you all want as our next baseball coach? Granted the season isn't over yet, but it's fun to speculate who our next coach will be. Byrne is really going to have to nail this hire because things are only going to get harder when Oklahoma and Texas enter the league. Even auburn has shown success recently. This program has been in the dumps for a while now.

Who do you all want as our next baseball coach? Granted the season isn't over yet, but it's fun to speculate who our next coach will be. Byrne is really going to have to nail this hire because things are only going to get harder when Oklahoma and Texas enter the league. Even auburn has shown success recently. This program has been in the dumps for a while now.

I do agree. I don't know if this enters the level of importance Mal Moore's hiring Nick Saban (not the same level of stature and financial gain, but in principle...), but this really could be the biggest hire Byrne makes. I wonder if he can snatch Casey Dunn from uab.

I do agree. I don't know if this enters the level of importance Mal Moore's hiring Nick Saban (not the same level of stature and financial gain, but in principle...), but this really could be the biggest hire Byrne makes. I wonder if he can snatch Casey Dunn from uab.
I think Byrne's hiring of Oats was up there, seeing as auburn had just made a Final Four, LSU was having success under Wade, and Rick Barnes got Tennessee to the Sweet 16. But this is a pretty critical point for the baseball program. Even with scholarship and NIL limitations, Bohannon showed he could recruit. As long as we don't go cheap, Alabama should be able to find a good HC.

I think Byrne's hiring of Oats was up there, seeing as auburn had just made a Final Four, LSU was having success under Wade, and Rick Barnes got Tennessee to the Sweet 16. But this is a pretty critical point for the baseball program. Even with scholarship and NIL limitations, Bohannon showed he could recruit. As long as we don't go cheap, Alabama should be able to find a good HC.

You're right about Oats. This is the same kind of hire. Like you said, it's kind of a critical point for the program.

While it’s Brynes’ m.o. to find an up-and-comer on a bargain deal, I have a feeling (nothing more than that) that this hire might not go that route. After the last 2 situations with Bama baseball coaches basically being fired for off the field reasons, I think it is really important to get a guy with an established track record. Not just wins and loses, but treatment of players, how he handles himself off the field, etc. It’s easy to find a young assistant who looks like he checks all the boxes, but it’s another level of confidence to find a guy who has actually been in change of a program and has an actual track record in all facets that can be verified by deep vetting.

IMO, would also help if the new hire has SEC experience (something I think is pretty important for a baseball hire), has shown a track record for developing players, and has a plan for the disadvantages Alabama faces on the scholarship and NIL front. If the coach doesn't have SEC experience, that shouldn't be a deal breaker, but some familiarity would certainly be a positive... and having an assistant(s) on the staff that has been in the SEC would be highly recommended IMO.

I’m not against a former Bama guy joining the coaching staff if he’s qualified, and not just there because he’s a “Bama Guy”... and I’m not sure how many of those guys there are out there. As much as I like and respect Andy Phillips, that wasn’t the best idea (though I liked it at the time). One guy I’ve heard positive things about it Matt Downs, who is the HC at Marion Military Institute. The additional coaching spot also comes into play after this year. If Bama were to hire a younger coach (think baseball version of Oats), I'd be very tempted to treat that spot like a bench coach, if you could find the right fit.

The good news is, the new head coach will inherit a pretty good situation. A good core group of players are set to return, including some really good young arms. The key is keeping those guys, as other schools are actively trying to poach them and that will only get worse when the season ends. Really important for Bama to stay in the tournament as long as possible, to help minimize some of that contact until another coach is brought in to try and corral them. But hopefully we can keep most of those guys, keep the recruits that the new guy wants, and fill in the roster with transfers where we have holes or need upgrades.

As for some names? I'd hope some guys like this would be looked at....

-Cliff Godwin (East Carolina): His name comes up a lot with bigger jobs and was a name mentioned last time around when Bohannon was hired. A veteran coach who would be instant impact. The feeling is he will eventually leave ECU for a bigger job but it is going to have to be one that he really wants because he's an ECU alum and has built something really nice there. Sooner or later, he will end up in the SEC though IMO.

-Dan McDonnell (Louisville): Another guy, like Godwin, who gets linked to bigger jobs and has a nice dated resume. He's been HC at Louisville since 2007 and has over 700 wins (was an assistant at Ole Miss before that). His teams find their way into the postseason, including 4 CWS appearances since 2013. He's making over $1 million per season, so Byrne would have to make a big financial commitment here.

-Rob Vaughn (Maryland): If Byrne does go the young guy route, I'd have to believe that Vaughn will get a very close look. He's only 35 years old, but has been HC for the Terps since 2018... was an assistant there before that. He was the Big Ten COTY last season. On the field, his teams don't lack offense. Negative is zero SEC experience.

-Justin Haire (Campbell): Another young guy, at just 42 years old. He has been at the helm of Campbell since 2015, so he's got some experience under his belt. He is good evaluator of talent and has been named the Big South COTY 3 times. Haire's teams are offense heavy and they play with a style that would translate well to the SEC. His team is likely headed for their 5th straight conference title (and regional appearance). One possible strike against him, besides his lack of SEC experience, is he is a former Greg Goff assistant (he replaced Goff at Campbell).

-Tom Walter (Wake Forest): Has been leading Wake Forest since 2010. It took him a few years, but he's turned Wake into top program in a tough league... Wake is currently the #1 ranked team D1Baseball. Walter has no SEC experience, but the ACC is at least comparable, so I wouldn't be concerned there. He's a very well respected coach who would bring immediate credibility back to the Alabama job. Side note, dude once donated a kidney to one of his own players.

Dave Magadan has 20+ years MLB experience as a hitting coach with 6 different teams. Had to have learned something about being the head guy. If he can coach like he hit, then he's the man. His .525 in 1983 still stands as the fifth best in NCAA history. Was batting 1.000 in his first 11 ABs in the '83 CWS. That's ELEVEN for ELEVEN sports fans.

Dave Magadan has 20+ years MLB experience as a hitting coach with 6 different teams. Had to have learned something about being the head guy. If he can coach like he hit, then he's the man. His .525 in 1983 still stands as the fifth best in NCAA history. Was batting 1.000 in his first 11 ABs in the '83 CWS. That's ELEVEN for ELEVEN sports fans.
That is one Bama baseball player that I do know. Watch those games back in 1983.

Until we get some balance by the way of scholarships, we are screwed. Other teams through the SEC with state lotteries are able to supplement players on scholarship. That is couple -three more top notch players on your roster. That literally is a game changer.

I am not well versed in this arena, but I remember talking to recent former Bama Baseball player a few years back, he is now a financial advisor. I think it is called the Hope Scholarship over in Georgia. Where we are splitting scholarships amongst 2 or 3 players, other institutions are able to give full rides. It is almost like being sanctioned by the NCAA all the time. I think that makes this an up hill battle for a good coach to want to come in.

I think the SEC network did some sort of show like 30 for 30 on this a couple years ago. I remember an excerpt from Byrne talking about the disparity in scholarships and how it should be corrected.

While it’s Brynes’ m.o. to find an up-and-comer on a bargain deal, I have a feeling (nothing more than that) that this hire might not go that route. After the last 2 situations with Bama baseball coaches basically being fired for off the field reasons, I think it is really important to get a guy with an established track record. Not just wins and loses, but treatment of players, how he handles himself off the field, etc. It’s easy to find a young assistant who looks like he checks all the boxes, but it’s another level of confidence to find a guy who has actually been in change of a program and has an actual track record in all facets that can be verified by deep vetting.

IMO, would also help if the new hire has SEC experience (something I think is pretty important for a baseball hire), has shown a track record for developing players, and has a plan for the disadvantages Alabama faces on the scholarship and NIL front. If the coach doesn't have SEC experience, that shouldn't be a deal breaker, but some familiarity would certainly be a positive... and having an assistant(s) on the staff that has been in the SEC would be highly recommended IMO.

I’m not against a former Bama guy joining the coaching staff if he’s qualified, and not just there because he’s a “Bama Guy”... and I’m not sure how many of those guys there are out there. As much as I like and respect Andy Phillips, that wasn’t the best idea (though I liked it at the time). One guy I’ve heard positive things about it Matt Downs, who is the HC at Marion Military Institute. The additional coaching spot also comes into play after this year. If Bama were to hire a younger coach (think baseball version of Oats), I'd be very tempted to treat that spot like a bench coach, if you could find the right fit.

The good news is, the new head coach will inherit a pretty good situation. A good core group of players are set to return, including some really good young arms. The key is keeping those guys, as other schools are actively trying to poach them and that will only get worse when the season ends. Really important for Bama to stay in the tournament as long as possible, to help minimize some of that contact until another coach is brought in to try and corral them. But hopefully we can keep most of those guys, keep the recruits that the new guy wants, and fill in the roster with transfers where we have holes or need upgrades.

As for some names? I'd hope some guys like this would be looked at....

-Cliff Godwin (East Carolina): His name comes up a lot with bigger jobs and was a name mentioned last time around when Bohannon was hired. A veteran coach who would be instant impact. The feeling is he will eventually leave ECU for a bigger job but it is going to have to be one that he really wants because he's an ECU alum and has built something really nice there. Sooner or later, he will end up in the SEC though IMO.

-Dan McDonnell (Louisville): Another guy, like Godwin, who gets linked to bigger jobs and has a nice dated resume. He's been HC at Louisville since 2007 and has over 700 wins (was an assistant at Ole Miss before that). His teams find their way into the postseason, including 4 CWS appearances since 2013. He's making over $1 million per season, so Byrne would have to make a big financial commitment here.

-Rob Vaughn (Maryland): If Byrne does go the young guy route, I'd have to believe that Vaughn will get a very close look. He's only 35 years old, but has been HC for the Terps since 2018... was an assistant there before that. He was the Big Ten COTY last season. On the field, his teams don't lack offense. Negative is zero SEC experience.

-Justin Haire (Campbell): Another young guy, at just 42 years old. He has been at the helm of Campbell since 2015, so he's got some experience under his belt. He is good evaluator of talent and has been named the Big South COTY 3 times. Haire's teams are offense heavy and they play with a style that would translate well to the SEC. His team is likely headed for their 5th straight conference title (and regional appearance). One possible strike against him, besides his lack of SEC experience, is he is a former Greg Goff assistant (he replaced Goff at Campbell).

-Tom Walter (Wake Forest): Has been leading Wake Forest since 2010. It took him a few years, but he's turned Wake into top program in a tough league... Wake is currently the #1 ranked team D1Baseball. Walter has no SEC experience, but the ACC is at least comparable, so I wouldn't be concerned there. He's a very well respected coach who would bring immediate credibility back to the Alabama job. Side note, dude once donated a kidney to one of his own players.
Good post. I do hope we're able to retain a bulk of the players and can persuade them to stay if we hire the right coach. I really hope we don't go the cheap route and do get someone who understands where the game is and can fix our base running. Butch Thompson is making over $1 million at auburn. Bohannon made $475,000. Sewell-Thomas is a very good baseball venue that we invested in. No reason to not demand the baseball program go and get the best guy available.

Until we get some balance by the way of scholarships, we are screwed. Other teams through the SEC with state lotteries are able to supplement players on scholarship. That is couple -three more top notch players on your roster. That literally is a game changer.

I am not well versed in this arena, but I remember talking to recent former Bama Baseball player a few years back, he is now a financial advisor. I think it is called the Hope Scholarship over in Georgia. Where we are splitting scholarships amongst 2 or 3 players, other institutions are able to give full rides. It is almost like being sanctioned by the NCAA all the time. I think that makes this an up hill battle for a good coach to want to come in.

I think the SEC network did some sort of show like 30 for 30 on this a couple years ago. I remember an excerpt from Byrne talking about the disparity in scholarships and how it should be corrected.

Yep, HOPE Scholarship here in Georgia. It was once the Zell Miller Scholarship and was a great deal, but now that so many schools have found ways to manipulate the system they have tighter restrictions on it with partial payments and all of that crap. Still a valuable program, but you have to almost be perfect to get the full benefit from it anymore.

11.7 scholarships! That’s the number!!! That’s to be spread among 32 guys, 40 on the roster this year. I once had a player that was a pitcher, threw 94-95. He was being recruited in basketball as well, but no colleges were showing interest baseball wise. I called around UAB, UA, Barn, no response. I called LSwho and Skip Bertman actually answered the phone!! I explained to him what I had and he told me, “we get 11.7 scholarships to divide amongst the roster. We can’t afford to give a full ride to anyone! If he is that good, he is headed to the MLB and we will never see him! Tell him to take the biggest offer he has in basketball and I will make sure he gets a shot pitching there!” BSC was his biggest offer and he took it. He played basketball all 4 years there and came out of the bullpen the last 3 years!
The way things stand now, out of state schools can come pluck the best players from the state and then “keep their own” in state kids without carving deep into that 11.7 number!

On LSU’s scholarships!!!! I know for a fact they load up their roster with “academic” scholarships given to mediocre students. A former partner of mine has a son that had to go to summer school to graduate and received an “academic”.
I know that florida uses some of there “lottery education money” on baseball scholarships. Alls fair in love war and college athletics!!!!

The scholarship stuff is muddy waters, and Alabama (and auburn) are certainly at a disadvantage. I hope AL will sooner rather than later, jump on the lottery train... but the introduction of NIL allows the opportunity to mitigate the disadvantage to an extent. The problem is, the other schools have NIL too which just helps them add more money to the pot, and Bama's baseball NIL has sputtered. I think a new hire, if viewed well by the season ticket type fans, will give that fund a boost. But some schools have advantages that Alabama simply can't offer, like waiving large percentages of out of state tuition for students. There has been a push, that has gotten greater traction in recent years, to expand the available scholarship allotment. Now that the push for the extra paid coaching position has been approved along with the number of players that can be on scholarship (32), the 11.7 expansion is the next battle front.

But, I say all that to say this... Alabama can still have some really good teams. They aren't going to be top 3 in the league every season, no matter who is hired, but they don't have to be. auburn has been to Omaha 2 of the last 3 seasons. MSU and Ole Miss are the 2 defending champions, and both are in serious danger of not even making it to Hoover later this month. The margin of error is smaller for Alabama, but any given year, a team in the top half of the SEC can go on a run and go deep into the CWS if they play well.

Back
Top Bottom