| FTBL Pete Golding

A hair of a second late on angles caught my eye a few times.
That and the UF OL was moving our DL guys. That is what concerned me mostly. That is about the athletes and maybe technique/leverage. Can't have a team more physical than you or it will extremely difficult to find answers.

Didn't catch but about 20 minutes of their show this morning so I missed that, but I'm pretty sure that same thing was discussed during the broadcast the other night against USM (which Cole was on). Also, it was mentioned by Saban at Hey Coach I think, so there's validity to it.

Saban has talked about this specific example before. He's said in many ways, it doesn't matter if the call comes in wrong - the D is playing C3 instead of C4. As long as everyone is on the same page and playing the same call, that's fine.

This is an example of Henry trying to keep switching the calls and analyze what the counter is to Florida coming out in a different formation than expected based on personnel. Or a motion and changing the strength of the formation. The D is trying to figure out in their mind their new responsibility and adjust their alignment right up to the point the ball is snapped. It makes the DL get off the ball slower. Makes the ILBs slower to read what to do, etc.

Saban has talked about this specific example before. He's said in many ways, it doesn't matter if the call comes in wrong - the D is playing C3 instead of C4. As long as everyone is on the same page and playing the same call, that's fine.

This is an example of Henry trying to keep switching the calls and analyze what the counter is to Florida coming out in a different formation than expected based on personnel. Or a motion and changing the strength of the formation. The D is trying to figure out in their mind their new responsibility and adjust their alignment right up to the point the ball is snapped. It makes the DL get off the ball slower. Makes the ILBs slower to read what to do, etc.
That would explain a lot. This was on Too'too and not only that he was sick as well... combine that together and you have disaster. If only Moody played more, then things would be little different. I don't know why we keep bringing up Florida game over and over...

That would explain a lot. This was on Too'too and not only that he was sick as well... combine that together and you have disaster. If only Moody played more, then things would be little different. I don't know why we keep bringing up Florida game over and over...
Probably because our Defense looked like a high school team against Florida. Dan Mullen is an asshole, but a good coach. Kiffen is an offensive evil genius. We won’t be able to stop OM completely, but we can’t let them run all over us like Florida did. Also, our o-line HAS to be better if we are going to hang with offensive teams like Florida, OM…etc.

Probably because our Defense looked like a high school team against Florida. Dan Mullen is an asshole, but a good coach. Kiffen is an offensive evil genius. We won’t be able to stop OM completely, but we can’t let them run all over us like Florida did. Also, our o-line HAS to be better if we are going to hang with offensive teams like Florida, OM…etc.
Agree, we really need them to control the line and have some good time consuming drives that end in points. IMO, the best defense against their offense will be to keep them off the field.

I think the OL was good enough to hang with Florida, considering the outcome.

We're antsy, baby! We are ready for a big game. We don't get them often and I think we're all just a little on edge with our team and who is coming to town. Gonna be a fun one. I'm ready for Saturday!

Don’t nobody say anything derogatory about CPG again. That was a complete domination by our defense

I already replied in the Good, Bad, and Ugly thread, but I'll add that I think a lot of it was Bill O'Brien's offensive gameplan and Brian Robinson to be thanked more than Golding. Our time of possession was 17 minutes more than Ole Miss, meaning we held the ball over a quarter longer than them. Defense played great, but we still were vulnerable on 3rd down and long, the middle was open as usual. The biggest difference was the defensive line being tough and Drew Sanders being awesome. As I said, I don't think Golding is ghe reason for that success as our holes were still there. Lane going on 4th down so much also helped. Defense was great, but one has to wonder if it was the offense helping limit a lot of that as well. 50 carries, that's a lot of clock control.

I already replied in the Good, Bad, and Ugly thread, but I'll add that I think a lot of it was Bill O'Brien's offensive gameplan and Brian Robinson to be thanked more than Golding. Our time of possession was 17 minutes more than Ole Miss, meaning we held the ball over a quarter longer than them. Defense played great, but we still were vulnerable on 3rd down and long, the middle was open as usual. The biggest difference was the defensive line being tough and Drew Sanders being awesome. As I said, I don't think Golding is ghe reason for that success as our holes were still there. Lane going on 4th down so much also helped. Defense was great, but one has to wonder if it was the offense helping limit a lot of that as well. 50 carries, that's a lot of clock control.
Agreeing with you 100%

I'll give Golding credit for the defensive improvement from last years game w/ Ole Miss to this one. I do think that the defensive stop on 4th down inside the 5 on Ole Miss's drive was a defining stop for the defense. It gave them more confidence because up to that point, it was not looking good at all. After that, the defense was playing more downhill. So props to Golding & the players. Roll Tide!

I'll give Golding credit for the defensive improvement from last years game w/ Ole Miss to this one. I do think that the defensive stop on 4th down inside the 5 on Ole Miss's drive was a defining stop for the defense. It gave them more confidence because up to that point, it was not looking good at all. After that, the defense was playing more downhill. So props to Golding & the players. Roll Tide!
Did you expect anything different from the first series? Lane came into the game like he always does with a series of 12-15 scripted plays.

As I said last week. Some of Coach Bryant's best defenses were the ones that spent most of the game sitting on the sideline and watching the wishbone run up and down the field. And eat up the clock.

Did you expect anything different from the first series? Lane came into the game like he always does with a series of 12-15 scripted plays.

Is there a team that doesn't have their first 15 or so offensive plays scripted?

There have been Ds in the past that it didn't matter that they were scripted. They still stopped them. However, there haven't been teams in the past to have the nerve/gall to go for it on 4th. It was good to see this defense stiffen up & do their job despite Ole Miss's success at that point.

Back
Top Bottom