| FTBL Pete Golding

They've also given up only 20 points this season. Can only beat whose in front of you and dominate them at that. Please don't be naïve enough to think Georgia is not a top defense and a Top 5 team this year.
Never said they were not... just they haven't played an offense worth a crap this year... so far.

I was replying to your comment that their schedule to date was similar to ours. I'd give you Clemson is equal to Miami and Mercer equal to Vandy and UAB equal to Southern Miss... but UF stomps the hell out of uSC. That one game alone makes a big difference in schedule and knowing what how good a defense really is.

Point being, UGA has proven nothing to date yet, at least against a quality offensive team.

As for PG as the DC... I really have very little issues with him that are any different than any other DC we have had. I bitch and complain about the same stuff with every single one of the DCs we've had. I can't recall the last time I looked forward to seeing a 3rd and long... to be honest, I'd rather see a 3rd and short... but I digress...

Never said they were not... just they haven't played an offense worth a crap this year... so far.

I was replying to your comment that their schedule to date was similar to ours. I'd give you Clemson is equal to Miami and Mercer equal to Vandy and UAB equal to Southern Miss... but UF stomps the hell out of uSC. That one game alone makes a big difference in schedule and knowing what how good a defense really is.

Point being, UGA has proven nothing to date yet, at least against a quality offensive team.

As for PG as the DC... I really have very little issues with him that are any different than any other DC we have had. I bitch and complain about the same stuff with every single one of the DCs we've had. I can't recall the last time I looked forward to seeing a 3rd and long... to be honest, I'd rather see a 3rd and short... but I digress...

I'd rather see 3rd and short myself.

I like CPG and really hope we don’t lose him. I believe CNS really likes him too and think like somebody said earlier that yes grooming him like KS and JP.

If a move at DC was made I don’t want JP back. Demeco Ryans would be great, but he’d have to be stupid to give up a NFL DC gig for a college one

I like CPG and really hope we don’t lose him. I believe CNS really likes him too and think like somebody said earlier that yes grooming him like KS and JP.

If a move at DC was made I don’t want JP back. Demeco Ryans would be great, but he’d have to be stupid to give up a NFL DC gig for a college one
What are you saying? I've seen people give up an HC NFL job for a college one,;);):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ROLL TIDE!

Not taking up for Golding because I'm not a big fan either, but some of the best defenses Coach Bryant had were the ones that sat on the sideline and watched the wishbone run up and down the field. In today's football, your defense doesn't have a shot if your offense is going 3 and out every damn series.

It definitely sets up the defense for failure for sure. That 2016 Defense under Pruitt was gassed by the 4th quarter after the offense had multiple consecutive possessions that went 3 & out in the National Championship. All Deshaun Watson had to do was wait it out.

It definitely sets up the defense for failure for sure. That 2016 Defense under Pruitt was gassed by the 4th quarter after the offense had multiple consecutive possessions that went 3 & out in the National Championship. All Deshaun Watson had to do was wait it out.
They were lights out in the 1st half. Not so much 2nd half.

Not a big fan of singling players out, but it appears to me To’o To’o is the “QB” of the defense - I could be reading that wrong, but he’s the one I see making calls and telling his teammates where to be and what they’re doing.

Problem with this is, HT seems like he’s the one who’s lost on a lot of these plays - mainly in coverage…RB’s out of the backfield, or TE’s slipping out.

Now, to be fair, he’s still coming into his own with this defense…even though he ran almost the exact same defense in Knoxville. Hopefully as HT becomes more comfortable in the defense and is able to just react instead of thinking, then reacting, the whole defense will improve with him.

Just my $0.02

Not a big fan of singling players out, but it appears to me To’o To’o is the “QB” of the defense - I could be reading that wrong, but he’s the one I see making calls and telling his teammates where to be and what they’re doing.

Problem with this is, HT seems like he’s the one who’s lost on a lot of these plays - mainly in coverage…RB’s out of the backfield, or TE’s slipping out.

Now, to be fair, he’s still coming into his own with this defense…even though he ran almost the exact same defense in Knoxville. Hopefully as HT becomes more comfortable in the defense and is able to just react instead of thinking, then reacting, the whole defense will improve with him.

Just my $0.02
A rationale thought for sure!

I don't like PG any more than anyone else does, but we aren't playing against the same kind of teams that we used to when we could just shut them down. With the spread and hurry up that everyone is running, no defense is shutting them down really. That graphic of the best D's in college doesn't prove anything. Do you really think Troy has a better defense than us? No. Wisconsin a #2 D? You have to be kidding, right? The season is way too early to annoint UGA the best team in the country when they've played some of the worst offenses in the country.

I loved the days of the 14-10 wins or even 7-0, but with today's offenses, a 56-45 win is still a win and that's all that matters.

P.S. I still think our biggest problem on D is tackling. Against Fl, we were pushing them forward for the first down 9 out of 10 times. Looked like we were trying to bump them down instead of wrapping up, or trying to strip the ball. Can you blame the players or the coach for that? I think both, but if you aren't tackling, it doesn't matter about scheme.

P.S. I still think our biggest problem on D is tackling. Against Fl, we were pushing them forward for the first down 9 out of 10 times. Looked like we were trying to bump them down instead of wrapping up, or trying to strip the ball. Can you blame the players or the coach for that? I think both, but if you aren't tackling, it doesn't matter about scheme.
A hair of a second late on angles caught my eye a few times.

@TerryP Do you happen to have any insights on the team right now and their mindset toward the game? How is Saban feeling ? Saban seemed little relaxed on MNF and joking around. Something is telling me that they got some bags of trick that Kiffin is going to be caught off guard?

Just been hearing Finebaum in the background as he was interviewing Bruce Feldman. Finbaum asked Feldmans perspective of the UF game in light of what CNS said today about some major linebacker being injured.

I can't find CNS interview for today to confirm but my point is that I watched the UF opening drive that scored a FG & focused on how Harris did (after reading GMac's perspective) good gosh he was just lolly gagging to the ball. He looked sick or hurt it was that bad! I think he made a good tackle for loss in the red zone but that was about it.

That said, has anyone heard about him having issues or do you think CNS was referring to Anderson being gimpy as opposed to someone else?

Just been hearing Finebaum in the background as he was interviewing Bruce Feldman. Finbaum asked Feldmans perspective of the UF game in light of what CNS said today about some major linebacker being injured.

I can't find CNS interview for today to confirm but my point is that I watched the UF opening drive that scored a FG & focused on how Harris did (after reading GMac's perspective) good gosh he was just lolly gagging to the ball. He looked sick or hurt it was that bad! I think he made a good tackle for loss in the red zone but that was about it.

That said, has anyone heard about him having issues or do you think CNS was referring to Anderson being gimpy as opposed to someone else?

Saban said today during the teleconference that To'oTo'o was dealing with an illness during the UF game but played through it. Maybe talking about that.

Did you guys happen to catch Mac and Cole this morning talking about Cole’s chat with Golding about To’o To’o? Basically the gist was he was trying so hard to call the right defense and get everyone in the right place he was overwhelmed and didn’t have the time to do it all. Golding and Saban had a talk with him after that Florida game and said we don’t care if it is the right set, just get in a defense and rely on our athletes to do their job. Sounds like he’s a solid field general, just was trying to micromanage and got caught out to dry. Cole and Mac commented that they have made vast improvements in the middle.

Did you guys happen to catch Mac and Cole this morning talking about Cole’s chat with Golding about To’o To’o? Basically the gist was he was trying so hard to call the right defense and get everyone in the right place he was overwhelmed and didn’t have the time to do it all. Golding and Saban had a talk with him after that Florida game and said we don’t care if it is the right set, just get in a defense and rely on our athletes to do their job. Sounds like he’s a solid field general, just was trying to micromanage and got caught out to dry. Cole and Mac commented that they have made vast improvements in the middle.

Didn't catch but about 20 minutes of their show this morning so I missed that, but I'm pretty sure that same thing was discussed during the broadcast the other night against USM (which Cole was on). Also, it was mentioned by Saban at Hey Coach I think, so there's validity to it.

Back
Top Bottom