| FTBL Pete Golding

I'll say this tho - If there isn't some type of adjustment in terms of using depth at every level of the defense, and the D looks as exhausted as it has in past years of games like this, I'd be disappointed.

Talking about a solid 3 man rotation at OLB and ILB with Braswell & Moody. DL rotation with Smith & Ray getting legit snaps. On the back end using D. Wright (or other) to spell Hellams & Battle. Just give the studs a chance to play at a high level in the 4th quarter... Would be nice to see!
We did that in S. MIss game.

Does it really matter either way as long as they dominate when they should?
What happens when UGA runs into an offense? They ran into two last season and lost. In '19, do we call A&M an "offense?" They put up 28 on Bama at home, only 13 to UGA on the road. LSU has them back to back years. They lost to Texas and Bama closing out a season. They beat OU in the Rose while allowing 48.

I'm not discounting UGA's defense; but let's not go overboard here. "When they should?" Holding Auburn to six last season, is that a "when they should?"

The beginning of this week going into the Ole Miss game...it should least be a 'No Wake' zone for a few days.

What happens when UGA runs into an offense? They ran into two last season and lost. In '19, do we call A&M an "offense?" They put up 28 on Bama at home, only 13 to UGA on the road. LSU has them back to back years. They lost to Texas and Bama closing out a season. They beat OU in the Rose while allowing 48.

I'm not discounting UGA's defense; but let's not go overboard here. "When they should?" Holding Auburn to six last season, is that a "when they should?"

The beginning of this week going into the Ole Miss game...it should least be a 'No Wake' zone for a few days.
UGA is a good team, they need to grow on the offensive side of the ball for sure, and when they hit a team that can score we will see how good they really are. I am not convinced they are better than Florida yet, "Yet"

UGA is decent on defense. They allowed Clemson slightly more passing yards than their average so far but stopped them from rushing at all. They held UAB to little passing but allowed 127 rushing yards which is about 30 yards below their average. Again, SCAR was above their yearly average for passing by about 20 yards but was about 40 yards under their rushing average. THey actually did destroy Vandy completely on both sides. Then again, Vandy lost to East Tennessee badly.

Since when have you ever allowed someone to go back to the past to pull data to use against a current year team? Their schedule has been cupcake for years, no doubt there. We cannot fault them for Clemson, as we all thought Clemson would be a lot better than they are. I'm talking about this Georgia team though, not the one that had many starters sit out against Texas, or the 48 they gave up against the Heisman trophy quarterback. You can see it in their speed and physicality. Will they slip up? I think they will somewhere, but I'm not discounting the dominance I have seen from them so far when I haven't seen it anywhere else in the country up until this point. Oklahoma has looked bad, Clemson terrible, Ohio State is really lacking, Alabama has looked below our ability for a majority of the season, but Georgia has atleast looked amazing on defense and figuring it out on offense through the air. Can't say that about anyone else I've seen this season except maybe Arkansas. We will learn a lot about both of those teams and about Alabama and Ole Miss this weekend. All of the best teams in the SEC are playing each other this weekend in those two games.

I am incredibly concerned about this weekend vs. OM because Kiffin knows how to attack this D scheme. Last year was the most helpless I've ever felt watching a Bama D. I don't expect a good D performance this week.

However, I will admit that the D got a lot better last year after OM and was a very very good college D down the stretch. The Florida game was not the bad schematic issues we saw vs. Florida this year or OM last year, it was Florida guys making plays when they were covered.

The offense led by Bryce and the OL will need to score TDs at a high rate and control the clock while also hitting at least 2 big pass plays to keep the DBs from crowding the LOS.

The D will need to defend the run and RPO well. They cannot continually get sucked up on the extended RB dive look where Corral then pulls it out and hits a TE on the seam who is uncovered.

The DL will need to get several sacks. Any turnover they can get will go a long way to a W. It's going to be stressful

Is he going to be watching film from 2009? Or, 2011? 2015?
Probably 2020 and the UF game film, If their defense actually has improved and can stall us out a few times, I'm figuring he won't change a thing from what he ran against us last year. Corral was 21/28 365 yards and 2 TDs and the TE had 7 catches for 181 and the 2 TD's.... they also had 2 RB go over 120 yards rushing with 2 TDs apiece, so I don't see a reason for him to do anything much different other than maybe some different types of motions.

Let me ask this: do we have a problem with our talent not living up to its billing or do we have a problem with coaches not adequately preparing them? Think about the monsters we have had on the DL and LB in recent years. I would say that outside of Will Anderson and Phil Mathis, and maybe Christian Harris, we don't have a legitimate 1st rounder. HT and CH can't hold a candle to Dontae, CJ, Rolando, Reuben, or any of the other elite ILB we have had over the years. And I don't see a Quinnen Williams, Jonathan Allen, Daron Payne, or anyone like that on the DL. Those guys were game changers. They dominated on defense. Right now Will is the only dominant defender we have, and Phil makes plays occasionally. Where are our playmakers on defense? Outside of Will? That's what I am wondering. When was the last time you saw an Alabama DL get pushed around the way we did against Florida? When's the last time you saw Alabama ILB trailing the play all night the way HT and CH do? Alabama used to be known for making so many plays behind the LOS. But the last two years that hasn't been the case. IMO we need more dominant playmakers on defense beside Will Anderson. He can only do so much. And again, I don't know if that speaks to coaching or talent. Maybe both. And I would add this: When KS was our DC he was the hottest name in coaching circles. The same was true of Pruitt. Is anyone mentioning PG's name in hot coaches? Does anyone else want him? I think that says a lot about Pete.

Since when have you ever allowed someone to go back to the past to pull data to use against a current year team?
What's the difference between discussing how A&M traditionally collapsed at the end of the season and how Georgia, traditionally, gives up yards and points when they face a scoring offense? Is either of those any different than saying Alabama has been susceptible to mismatches in the middle for years?

While I'll readily agree Georgia fields a hell of a defense I won't do so without the concession that they, like any other team in college football, have issues when they run into legitimate offenses. Again, no different than any other team.

What's the difference between discussing how A&M traditionally collapsed at the end of the season and how Georgia, traditionally, gives up yards and points when they face a scoring offense? Is either of those any different than saying Alabama has been susceptible to mismatches in the middle for years?

While I'll readily agree Georgia fields a hell of a defense I won't do so without the concession that they, like any other team in college football, have issues when they run into legitimate offenses. Again, no different than any other team.

I have never been one to think Texas A&M was a National Championship caliber team. I cannot ever recall them having the horses for that. The one year with Manziel, Matthews, and Mike Evans was about as close as I can ever recall, but they did not have that Wrecking Crew defense from years past to back them up. So their collapse is definitely warranted.

Georgia has had a lot of years where they simply couldn't put it together on both sides of the ball to take them to the next level. Look at how they've played Florida the last twenty years, the lulls with Tennessee, but then the dominance over Auburn. I obviously can't speak in absolutes, but Georgia finally has a linebacker that can just simply run and play football. His name is Channing Tindall and I honestly believe he is the difference maker in their defense compared to the past. Jordan Davis gets all the publicity, but Tindall keeps everyone from getting outside the tackle box and past the line of scrimmage. We can look at past failures, and most of it is warranted for Georgia, just like it was for Clemson for a while, but this year it feels a little different as they have not had that "playing down to their competition " game yet, which at this point has usually happened. We will learn a lot this weekend fo sho. Arkansas has me really excited. I'm happy to see them playing so well. Let's all just hope they can grind out another win this weekend, against Georgia.

Let me ask this: do we have a problem with our talent not living up to its billing or do we have a problem with coaches not adequately preparing them? Think about the monsters we have had on the DL and LB in recent years. I would say that outside of Will Anderson and Phil Mathis, and maybe Christian Harris, we don't have a legitimate 1st rounder. HT and CH can't hold a candle to Dontae, CJ, Rolando, Reuben, or any of the other elite ILB we have had over the years. And I don't see a Quinnen Williams, Jonathan Allen, Daron Payne, or anyone like that on the DL. Those guys were game changers. They dominated on defense. Right now Will is the only dominant defender we have, and Phil makes plays occasionally. Where are our playmakers on defense? Outside of Will? That's what I am wondering. When was the last time you saw an Alabama DL get pushed around the way we did against Florida? When's the last time you saw Alabama ILB trailing the play all night the way HT and CH do? Alabama used to be known for making so many plays behind the LOS. But the last two years that hasn't been the case. IMO we need more dominant playmakers on defense beside Will Anderson. He can only do so much. And again, I don't know if that speaks to coaching or talent. Maybe both. And I would add this: When KS was our DC he was the hottest name in coaching circles. The same was true of Pruitt. Is anyone mentioning PG's name in hot coaches? Does anyone else want him? I think that says a lot about Pete.
I agree there hasn't been a lot of "flash" plays by anyone outside of Anderson so far this year. But it's also 4 games in...

The interior DL has some promise with Mathis being one of those guys, as well as Tim Smith. Hopefully that little injury doesn't hold him back... But pointing at Quinnen, he wasn't a huge difference maker until his last year. The year before he would flash and do some undisciplined things... Same type of mold Mathis & Smith could be in now. Smith is still young... So there's hope. But you're right on Payne & Allen who it appeared early on were going to be studs.... And they were.

To me this game is the big test for the ILB's. IMO it's the point where you can truly evaluate their progress with 5 games and 2-3 legitimate opponents. I'm starting to wonder if Moody isn't a better option than 1 of those cats... But time will tell. And on the back end, I think it's pretty clear that group is missing a stud play maker safety so far. I really believed #9 would be in that conversation as a 1st rounder by the end of the season, but that hasn't played out yet. The flash plays have not happened. #2 has been a shaky open field guy and that's never good. Jobe has been fine so far.... But again, Ole Miss is an opportunity for all of these guys to shoot up draft boards... Just got to make it happen.

JMO but our 2 interior DL and ILBer and 2 safety's will all need to play their best games for Bama to win.

This is the game of the year for The King and it is going to be a real war. Win this one and anything is possible.
But if all those guys have to play their best game for Bama to win, as 15 pt faves, imagine the standards those Ole Miss defenders will have to play to!

Back
Top Bottom