| FTBL Pete Golding

What some dont see on tv is the confusion in setting up...
D backs looking at each other after a blown coverage....
Man in motion getting D players outta position....

Its poorly prepared Defense....it appears.... but gotta trust Nick...he sees and knows more that us...

i have been fried more times than Waffle House eggs for bitching bout Golding
Two defensive lineman ran into each other also.

What some dont see on tv is the confusion in setting up...
D backs looking at each other after a blown coverage....
Man in motion getting D players outta position....

Its poorly prepared Defense....it appears.... but gotta trust Nick...he sees and knows more that us...

i have been fried more times than Waffle House eggs for bitching bout Golding
Time for Pete to

1632762904038.png

Another question I had: Is Charlie Strong still an analyst? Do you think he would make a good DC to replace Pete? Is there anyone else that could take over the play calling duties if Pete were reassigned? I was just curious.

Is there anyone else that could take over the play calling duties if Pete were reassigned? I was just curious.

I assume you're talking about after the season ends? I don't think he'd be reassigned, he'd likely go grab a DC spot elsewhere. I doubt even Saban knows what will happen at the end of the season yet, but he's invested a lot of time in Golding and originally hired him to groom him like he did Kirby and Pruitt. Is he at their level? I don't think so, but who is? There's much more to it than just calling the defense on Saturday afternoons. Kirby and especially Pruitt were elite across the board in everything else that being a coordinator entails. There's no shortage of guys that would want the DC job though, so if Saban is keeping him year after year, then it's for a good reason IMO. But, if (big if) a change is made, all my chips would be on Pruitt returning. A couple of things would have to happen for that to occur, but sooner than later, the major obstacle that would keep it from happening will be cleared (basically approval from Sankey).

Let me ask this: do we have a problem with our talent not living up to its billing or do we have a problem with coaches not adequately preparing them? Think about the monsters we have had on the DL and LB in recent years. I would say that outside of Will Anderson and Phil Mathis, and maybe Christian Harris, we don't have a legitimate 1st rounder. HT and CH can't hold a candle to Dontae, CJ, Rolando, Reuben, or any of the other elite ILB we have had over the years. And I don't see a Quinnen Williams, Jonathan Allen, Daron Payne, or anyone like that on the DL. Those guys were game changers. They dominated on defense. Right now Will is the only dominant defender we have, and Phil makes plays occasionally. Where are our playmakers on defense? Outside of Will? That's what I am wondering. When was the last time you saw an Alabama DL get pushed around the way we did against Florida? When's the last time you saw Alabama ILB trailing the play all night the way HT and CH do? Alabama used to be known for making so many plays behind the LOS. But the last two years that hasn't been the case. IMO we need more dominant playmakers on defense beside Will Anderson. He can only do so much. And again, I don't know if that speaks to coaching or talent. Maybe both. And I would add this: When KS was our DC he was the hottest name in coaching circles. The same was true of Pruitt. Is anyone mentioning PG's name in hot coaches? Does anyone else want him? I think that says a lot about Pete.
I think it’s both and it’s the spread offenses just as everyone’s mentioned. However, I believe Bama’s LB’s and safeties aren’t as elite as Bama’s had in past years. Harris absolutely can’t seem to shed a lineman’s block and is out of position quite a bit. To’o To’o flys from sideline to sideline but he’s not much at stopping the run. And none of the safeties match up with the great ones Saban’s had in the past. Saban’s best defenses have always been built from the inside out yet this season the strength is more on the outside while the weakness is up the middle. Of course, that’s just my opinion.

Charlie Strong was not an elite defensive coach before he took the analyst job at Alabama. He would not be an improvement and could not run Saban's D without a learning curve.

Pruitt is obviously elite, but he has NCAA issues, correct? Doubt he could come back right away.

The easier choice IMO would be Glenn Schumann at UGA, as he's not a DC there, and he has Lanning and Muschamp also on staff preventing him from moving up.

Has Georgia played anyone yet? Clemson sure as hell has proven they have zero offense. UAB, uSC and Vandy are 5x worse than that.
I did some stat compares earlier. UGA is good but probably not great. NC State did better against Clemson defending the pass than UGA did. Clemson and SCar did better passing against them than they have the rest of the year. Vandy was their only great game against the pass and rush. UGA has been feeding on the Little Sisters of the poor so far. Arky will give them their first real challenge, even if I think UGA has the horses to win that one.

Has Georgia played anyone yet? Clemson sure as hell has proven they have zero offense. UAB, uSC and Vandy are 5x worse than that.

They've also given up only 20 points this season. Can only beat whose in front of you and dominate them at that. Please don't be naïve enough to think Georgia is not a top defense and a Top 5 team this year.

1632833746725.png

Attachments

• 1632833723017.png
    1632833723017.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
IF things move on with Golding, I wonder if DeMeco Ryans will be an option.
Ryans would probably have to stub his toe to drop into the college ranks, and I hope he doesn't. He's a fast riser in the NFL and by many accounts his coaching ability matches his playing skill. No direct connection to Saban or any coaching in college, but I would think he would be a great college coordinator. Recruiting wise, hard not to be impressed if a ten year NFL player who was a Pro Bowler has an interest in you.

Back
Top Bottom