| MBB/WBB đźŹ€ No. 1/1 Alabama Upended by No. 10/11 Tennessee, 68-59

B

Bama News

How to Watch Alabama at Tennessee​

Who: No. 1 Alabama (22-3, 12-0 SEC) at No. 10 Tennessee (19-6, 8-4 SEC)

When: 6 p.m. CT, Wednesday

Where: Thompson-Bowling Arena, Knoxville, Tennessee

TV: ESPN2

Radio: Crimson Tide Sports Network (Play-By-Play: Chris Stewart; Analyst: Bryan Passink). The pregame show will begin one hour prior to tipoff.

The matchup at Tennessee could still end up one of the toughest of the regular season for Alabama basketball, but the Vols are sputtering heading into Wednesday night's game.

Tennessee has lost three of its last four, the last two on buzzer-beaters vs. Vanderbilt and Missouri. The Vols barely beat Auburn in the one game Tennessee has won in the past two weeks.

Until this recent string of defeats, Tennessee had only lost three games all season.

Now, the No. 11 Vols will try to get back on course against the new No. 1 team in the country, Alabama (22-3, 12-0 SEC). The two squads will face off Wednesday (6 p.m., ESPN2) in Knoxville.

Here's a look at Tennessee (19-6, 8-4) and how it stacks up with the Crimson Tide.

Projected starting lineup for Tennessee​

Guard Zakai Zeigler (sophomore): 5-9, 171 pounds. Averages: 10.8 points, 3.1 rebounds, 5.4 assists, 2 steals, 0.1 blocks, 2.3 turnovers.

Guard Santiago Vescovi (senior): 6-3, 192 pounds. Averages: 12.2 points, 4.3 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 2 steals, 0.1 blocks, 1.4 turnovers.

Forward Julian Phillips (freshman): 6-8, 198 pounds. Averages: 9 points, 4.8 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 0.7 steals, 0.6 blocks, 1.3 turnovers.

Forward Josiah-Jordan James (senior): 6-6, 224 pounds. Averages: 9.5 points, 5.3 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 1.1 steals, 0.1 blocks, 0.9 turnovers.

Center Olivier Nkamhoua (senior): 6-9, 236 pounds. Averages: 10.7 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 0.5 steals, 0.8 blocks, 2 turnovers.

Phillips (hip flexor strain) and James (ankle sprain) will be game-time decisions, Tennessee coach Rick Barnes said Monday.

Zeigler is second in the conference in assists. He and Vescovi are tied for third in steals per game.

Tennessee's rotation​

The Vols have nine players averaging double-digit minutes. Outside of the starters, Tyreke Key (24.2 minutes), Jonas Aidoo (16.8), Jahmai Mashack (14.8), Uros Plavsic (13.7) have been the other recipients of the bulk of the minutes.

Tennessee vs. Alabama in scoring, defense and tempo​

KenPom tracks adjusted offensive and defensive efficiency, which are points scored and allowed per 100 possessions. Tennessee, despite its recent losses, remains the No. 1 defensive team in the country. Its 3-point defense is also No. 1 in the country.

As far as tempo goes, Alabama is going to try to play faster than Tennessee, as is the case in most matchups. Alabama moved down from No. 1 to No. 2 nationally in tempo after the Auburn game. KenPom measures the adjusted tempo statistic based on the number of possessions per 40 minutes.

Adjusted offensive efficiency:

Tennessee: 112.4 (52nd nationally)

Alabama: 117.5 (13th nationally)

Adjusted defensive efficiency:

Tennessee: 86.6 (1st nationally)

Alabama: 90 (5th)

Tempo

Tennessee: 66.2 (246th nationally)

Alabama: 73.2 (2nd)

Score prediction​

Alabama 75, Tennessee 68: The Vols could slow Alabama's offense, particularly from beyond the arc. Still, the Crimson Tide will find a way to counter, like it did against Auburn's top-notch perimeter defense.

I don't have a good feeling on this one, coming off a hard-fought win and we've drifted in both 3 attempts and FT shooting. True, Tennessee is working through a tough stretch, too. It would be great if we could come out hot, or show early that we'll take care of business at the FT line.

I don't have a good feeling on this one, coming off a hard-fought win and we've drifted in both 3 attempts and FT shooting. True, Tennessee is working through a tough stretch, too. It would be great if we could come out hot, or show early that we'll take care of business at the FT line.
I've got a better feeling than most. Tennessee is exactly what a typical Rick Barnes team is - physical, but lethargic offensively. Their defense was exploited vs Mizzou (granted they did have a OU type shooting night). Just me, but I get '21 Alabama @ LSU vibes from this game.

That said, I could easily see this be a 74-68 type game. Especially if they're able to have success around the rim.

That Tennessee offense against Auburn was pitiful. Not being able to close out Vandy and Mizzou and put it away doesn’t bode well for them. If Bama jumps out earlier and they have to speed up to try and catch up - this thing is over. They need to keep it slow. If Bama plays their game and not Tennessee’s game, it’ll be a 3 game slide for the Vols.

A national championship caliber team will impose their will. We shall she if that is what we have. I wish Bediako was not hurt but I like what I have seen with Pringle. This is where depth helps big time.

I got ones for the Alabama-South Carolina game next week. Going with my son and a friend and his son. Columbia is closer and tickets were MUCH cheaper than trying to make a trip to Tuscaloosa for a home game.
I was in Columbia Sunday, arrived into peak traffic departing the women's LSU game, RV's jockeying along Huger. Should be less traffic for this one.

Columbia is one boring drive from Atlanta, not as bad as Macon-Savannah, though.

Back
Top Bottom