| MBB/WBB đźŹ€ No. 1/1 Alabama Falls to San Diego State, 71-64, in Sweet 16

I didn't read all the comments, so sorry if this has already been beat to death. I streamed it through the truck (video was on the phone) as I was headed back into town and didn't watch too much, just listened. A team that can defend us well on the perimeter AND has a dominant shot blocker(s) to defend the rim will give this system fits. Now, we simply didn't shoot open shots well tonight. Had five more 3's dropped, we'd still be in it, but they didn't. Had we pulled up at eight feet instead of continually challenging two really good defenders at the rim, how would that have worked out? After having our team (and other teams) convinced we are 3-or-layups or die, I think if we started taking ten-foot jumpers, it would confuse the other team, on par with USC and the Wishbone.

Still pissed off from last night. To be up nine and allow a 12-0 run and fall a part is inexcusable. Mirrored the OT loss to UCLA when our toughness and grit vanished. Oats has done wonders with this program, so I have no doubt he'll get past the S16 someday. Just frustrating to have two teams that should have already made the Final Four, and he gets beat by lower seeds in the S16.

Kind of putting it in perspective...no #1 seed made it to the elite 8 this year, haven't did any historical digging but I'm not sure if that has ever happened....quick edit here, I checked, first time ever since seeding started in 1979.

I’m no coaching expert but when you have 2 guards that continue to drive the lane and try to shoot over much taller players you need to make adjustments. Now I know the 3’s were not falling but neither was driving the lane. This whole offense is build on 3’s. In the games they lose or struggle with they have a low, low 3 point percentage, as last night. I have said before when the 3’s are falling their entire game rises up, low TO’s, better defense, better shooting FT’s & etc. Speaking of FR’s. When was the last time we saw JQ miss a FT? He’s one of Bama top FT shooters. He missed a couple at the end of the game. With all that said it’s been a good season and one I enjoyed, along with much frustration along the way. On to spring football. RTR.

I’m not sure what happened to Miller in the tourney. I saw the stat above where he had the worst shooting % in the tourney since 1985 with 35 attempts. Man, his shot just left him. Did he get the yips? What do you guys think? Abysmal shooting. I know shooters have to shoot their way out of this stuff but it didn’t happen this time. I was hoping he wouldn’t shoot when he had the ball by the second half. Our MVP just didn’t have game during the big dance.

I’m not sure what happened to Miller in the tourney. I saw the stat above where he had the worst shooting % in the tourney since 1985 with 35 attempts. Man, his shot just left him. Did he get the yips? What do you guys think? Abysmal shooting. I know shooters have to shoot their way out of this stuff but it didn’t happen this time. I was hoping he wouldn’t shoot when he had the ball by the second half. Our MVP just didn’t have game during the big dance.

I think the jury groin was the biggest issue with him. He didn’t have anywhere near the explosiveness that we’ve seen from him. And he looked apprehensive at times. The lack of practice time took started to take a toll too… some of his turnovers were very uncharacteristic. But I don’t think that’s why Alabama lost. Didn’t help by any means… but it was just a number of things that all lined up at the same time.

I've watched a lot of hoops, not sure I've ever seen a guy get his shot blocked 6 times in one half.

SDSU has some grown men, they've just struggled to score all season... Even in the MWC they never really looked in rhythm offensively. Looks like they've put it together at the right time... Good coach, tough team!

I've watched a lot of hoops, not sure I've ever seen a guy get his shot blocked 6 times in one half.

SDSU has some grown men, they've just struggled to score all season... Even in the MWC they never really looked in rhythm offensively. Looks like they've put it together at the right time... Good coach, tough team!

I think nearly every layup was not only contested, but guys were forced to use the left hand... SDSU did a great job of making everything at the rim difficult... Really needed to be able to hit more 3's... there were some good open looks.. got to the point where guys were either timid, or the opposite end of the spectrum, they forced things. Finally felt like they were settled in their groove early in the 2nd half... In the first ~8:30, Bama had already topped their 1st half scoring output with 25 points (had outscored SDSU 25-11 out of the half), and had the 9 point lead. Aztecs called that TO, got 5 quick points in the blink of an eye, and the Tide imploded.

Back
Top Bottom