| MBB/WBB đźŹ€ No. 1/1 Alabama Falls to San Diego State, 71-64, in Sweet 16

That's the biggest key here that everyone is overlooking during their bitching and moaning. I think their entire 10-deep was nothing but juniors and seniors.

Much more experience than our squad.
Yes. Our 4 contributing freshmen combined for 5-33 from the field last night and 17 points. Abysmal doesn’t do those stats justice. But they carried us during the regular season. Striking the balance these days is tough to do. Hard to win consistently with a bunch of veteran role players. One can hope with NIL some of the guys on the fence about getting drafted will stay one more year. Didn’t happen with JD last year but some guys may decide that’s the best route.

Side note: I still say JD would have been better off staying another year at the Capstone. Salary this year between G League and Celtics = $508k. I bet he could have made that or more in NIL money.

Edit: FAU starts (and leading scorers) 3 sophomores, 1 freshman and 1 junior. Similar to us (1 Sr., 1 Jr., 1 So., 2 freshmen).

Last edited:
To be frank, so is Oats
Fully agree with this. Only a few short years ago Oats was coaching high school. I hope it is not to this extreme but have said this before is he Bama's equivalent of Malzone but in basketball? I sure hope not. I do not think he will be simply because of his recruiting but his offensive style may be.

My wish list for next year CNO dust off your coaching 101 handbook and learn to call a TO to stop the opponents run the 12-0 run was a killer.
And someone please send Clowney to boot camp he is soft.
His offense doesn't change, calling timeout isn't his style because we wouldn't be devising a set-play to get scores. As most everyone here has told you, we live and die by the 3 pointer. If we're not hitting them, we tend to lose. Clowney was fine, he got hit with a few fouls early and got stuck being unable to body up because of foul trouble. Pretty dumb take here.

If we're not hitting them, we tend to lose.
I think it is more accurate to saw we have a closer games but not tha we tend to lose. The D was elite enough to manage through most opponents with a win even when we shot poorly. Did not look at the stats but I would say we were still above .500 when we shot poorly. The D was that good.

Did not look at the stats but I would say we were still above .500 when we shot poorly.
They go against the narrative(s.)

Live and die by the 3? In the 10 worst outings this season Bama was 7-3.

Oats' teams and how they don't "value" the two point shot. Bama shoots more than twice the number of field goals as they do three point attempts. In the worst outings on FG percentage, Bama lost four of five.
Fully agree with this. Only a few short years ago Oats was coaching high school. I hope it is not to this extreme but have said this before is he Bama's equivalent of Malzone but in basketball? I sure hope not. I do not think he will be simply because of his recruiting but his offensive style may be.
Funny you mention ol' Gus. Malzahn brought variations of high school plays to the collegiate level. The 5-out system Oats runs isn't a high school offense.

I think a lot of people forget we see quite a bit of Bobby Hurley's influence in Oats style of coaching.

That's the biggest key here that everyone is overlooking during their bitching and moaning. I think their entire 10-deep was nothing but juniors and seniors.

Much more experience than our squad.

I still don't see that as a crutch to lean on and all of a sudden to be happy about. Not like this was the first game of the year, and we have beaten MUCH better teams throughout the season. I don't allow youth to be the reason Quinerly continued to get blocked at the rim time after time. I don't allow our team's youth to be an excuse for the continued belief they could keep trying to pass the ball over the top of San Diego State's big men. I also don't believe youth was the reason we are outscored almost 30-10 after going up nine midway through the second half. If Oats felt youth was the cause of any of this during the entire game he should have taken the air out of the ball late in the second half.

We shot 11% from three. That's not youth when it's your MO. They shot 59% from the charity stripe and still beat us. Weak hands and losing countless balls due to not securing the ball is not youth. We simply could not come up with any of the lose balls and their guys were always in the right place at the right time while we were scattered. End of this point, we didn't play like this except the Oklahoma game this year, so I don't like the youth excuse.

I say all of this simply disappointed because it was all right there. I mean, my goodness. Easy run to the final four after a spectacularly played season from these boys. It was a great year, but if you look at simply the tournament, it's saying we weren't one of the best eight teams in the country, and that's not true. So it's disappointing these guys have to face the headlines "all is right in the world that Alabama is out of the tournament", "San Diego State did America a favor" yadda yadda. You also hate it being a lesson where guys we'll never see play with us again that it can flip on you in two seconds during high level ball if you allow it to.

His offense doesn't change, calling timeout isn't his style because we wouldn't be devising a set-play to get scores. As most everyone here has told you, we live and die by the 3 pointer. If we're not hitting them, we tend to lose. Clowney was fine, he got hit with a few fouls early and got stuck being unable to body up because of foul trouble. Pretty dumb take here.

This just goes to show how little you know about the game. We don't live and die by the 3 we won several games without them. TO's can stop runs SDSU's coach showed how to use one when we were up 9. Clowney is soft he rarely attacks the rim I watched every game this year and I can count on one hand the number of times he aggressively dunked the ball. If you want to see dumb look in the mirror. Do me a favor don't quote me and I won't have to read your BS.

Last edited:
This just goes to show how little you know about the game. We don't live and die by the 3 we won several games without them. TO's can stop runs SDSU's coach showed how to use one when we were up 9. Clowney is soft he rarely attacks the rim I watched every game this year and I can count on one hand the number of times he aggressively dunked the ball. If you want to see dumb look in the mirror. Do me a favor don't quote me and I won't have to read your BS.
We won several games without making a 3? Jeez dude, please find a single game we won without making a 3. I'll wait

TO's can help stop runs, but that's not exactly how CNO plays the game, you need to pay attention to that fact first. It's just not his style.

Clowney isn't soft, he's playing the offense the way he's supposed to. His job is not to cut to the rim for monster jams or play the dunker spot. He's usually the outside and cuts to the basket for layups or short shots if it's open or he dishes outside to the open look. It's like you spent the entire season not watching the games and then formed an opinion based on 1 game where he had 4 fouls and couldn't be strong to the basket on drives.

I mean, I can quote you, it's a forum with opinions, if you don't like your opinion being torn apart by facts, try forming one that isn't a hot take knee jerk reaction.

They go against the narrative(s.)

Live and die by the 3? In the 10 worst outings this season Bama was 7-3.

Oats' teams and how they don't "value" the two point shot. Bama shoots more than twice the number of field goals as they do three point attempts. In the worst outings on FG percentage, Bama lost four of five.

Funny you mention ol' Gus. Malzahn brought variations of high school plays to the collegiate level. The 5-out system Oats runs isn't a high school offense.

I think a lot of people forget we see quite a bit of Bobby Hurley's influence in Oats style of coaching.

Well the reason we say that is because we kinda do. When we throw up 20-30 3s a game and only hit 3-4 of those we tend to lose games against good teams. I get the overall numbers are ok but those numbers don't paint a true picture of the landscape. We're actually 3-2 when hitting sub 20% from 3 and 1-2 vs Tournament worthy teams while doing it. The other two teams we could've beaten by just showing up on the floor, no offense to their respective schools, we were just more talented.

Game 1: Longwood - 10.7% - W
Game 2: South Alabama - 8.7% - W
Game 3: MSST - 17.9% - W
Game 4: TAMU - 19.4% - L
Game 5: SDSU - 11.1% - L

The other losses this year were more attributed to defense, turnovers, and others teams shooting well beyond their average % Most of our wins are us shooting at our percentage or within 10% of it above or below. I understand we can beat teams playing the 2 game, but usually we start winning the two game because our wide open 3s start scaring people and they jump out and get beat inside on a cut layup. If we're not hitting our shots, they tend to play the rim and we struggle to score against any good team.

We won several games without making a 3? Jeez dude, please find a single game we won without making a 3. I'll wait

TO's can help stop runs, but that's not exactly how CNO plays the game, you need to pay attention to that fact first. It's just not his style.

Clowney isn't soft, he's playing the offense the way he's supposed to. His job is not to cut to the rim for monster jams or play the dunker spot. He's usually the outside and cuts to the basket for layups or short shots if it's open or he dishes outside to the open look. It's like you spent the entire season not watching the games and then formed an opinion based on 1 game where he had 4 fouls and couldn't be strong to the basket on drives.

I mean, I can quote you, it's a forum with opinions, if you don't like your opinion being torn apart by facts, try forming one that isn't a hot take knee jerk reaction.

Show me where I made a knee jerk reaction it's a dumb statement. My post on UConn being dangerous was spot on and you called it a knee jerk reaction you were wrong sorry if your feelings were hurt get over it. If you make dumb posts on this board you get call out. My opinion on Clowney is not based on one game it was made many games back. Your post on Burnett guarding Timme in the Gonzaga game was dumb a 6'4" guard doesn't guard a 6'10" center again you were wrong this is where all this started. Just go away.

Last edited:
Show me where I made a knee jerk reaction it's a dumb statement. My post on UConn being dangerous was spot on and you called it a knee jerk reaction you were wrong sorry if your feelings were hurt get over it. If you make dumb posts on this board you get call out. My opinion on Clowney is not based on one game it was made many games back. Your post on Burnett guarding Timme in the Gonzaga game was dumb a 6'4" guard doesn't guard a 6'10" center again you were wrong this where all this started. Just go away.
I've been here longer than you, and I've my fair share of dumb opinions too, just because I made a mistake on one post doesn't exactly make your opinions gold. Also, my opinion from that post still holds fairly true. Uconn could slip up in the next game, does it happen? Who knows, but I'm not going to dredge up every post you've made over the last couple months to bother with it. Just not worth my time, you can read my facts and come up with a counter-point with facts or you can continue to make hot takes. Feel free to do what you want on that front, I'll still be here, much like always. Except I usually don't say much on BSB/SBB because I hate those sports.

Maybe Burnett wouldn't have helped on Timme, but we never got to know, did we?

Our play reminds me of the Dallas Mavericks when they had ; Dirk Nowitzki , Jason Terry , Corey Brewer , Jason Kidd , Shaun Marion , JJ Barea. Score a shit ton of points , won a lot of games. But they only got one championship out of it.

We did play defense this year . But an off night from 3 makes it hard to win if you don’t have a low post presence. I believe Coach Oates will get it done. But we just drew a team that was able to stop the layups , got our bigs in foul trouble and they out scored from 3.

Recipe for disaster.

Back
Top Bottom