| PRO ⚾️ MLB Clubhouse Thread...

Even better, let 'em wear throwbacks every season for this game.

There was always a joy in looking across the field and seeing a patchwork of different uniforms. It was an aesthetic reflection of the purpose of the game: Here were all these players representing their various teams in their various jerseys. It was an automatic visual signal that you were not watching an ordinary game. Sure, the uniforms could occasionally clash. But that was charming far more than it was grating. It was something different! What better way to underscore that you were watching, say, an outfield with a Dodger, a Giant and a Padre than by having the players wear those actual uniforms? The All-Star Game brings players together in configurations we might otherwise never see. To have them wear their own jerseys puts a spotlight on that. The game is meant to be special. And even when that involves multiple players from one team—like this year, when the AL’s starting infield will feature not one, not two but three Rangers—the team uniforms more effectively display that, too. There’s no better way to grasp how many players a team has sent than by having them in their jerseys.

I don't agree with the call, but I see the rationale. The catcher set up in front of the plate and the baserunner lined up to be behind the plate and the opening. Then, within just a few steps to go, the catcher shifted into the baserunner's path, giving him the front of the plate. The baserunner's last step before slide required a plant and change of direction to get to the front of the plate. Bang-bang in real time, but the review shows it. The catcher didn't have to adjust for the throw, and it was a really smart play to force the player to change direction and take a fraction longer to get to the plate, and may have been the difference in the original call. He just called called for it.

There was always a joy in looking across the field and seeing a patchwork of different uniforms. It was an aesthetic reflection of the purpose of the game: Here were all these players representing their various teams in their various jerseys. It was an automatic visual signal that you were not watching an ordinary game. Sure, the uniforms could occasionally clash. But that was charming far more than it was grating. It was something different! What better way to underscore that you were watching, say, an outfield with a Dodger, a Giant and a Padre than by having the players wear those actual uniforms? The All-Star Game brings players together in configurations we might otherwise never see. To have them wear their own jerseys puts a spotlight on that. The game is meant to be special. And even when that involves multiple players from one team—like this year, when the AL’s starting infield will feature not one, not two but three Rangers—the team uniforms more effectively display that, too. There’s no better way to grasp how many players a team has sent than by having them in their jerseys.

Didn't they used to do it like this where you wore your white or grey team jersey? I thought growing up it was always like this until maybe the last ten years or so. My mind went blank on this though as soon as I saw your post. And I know they did it strictly to make money on the new All-Star jerseys and hats.

Didn't they used to do it like this where you wore your white or grey team jersey? I thought growing up it was always like this until maybe the last ten years or so. My mind went blank on this though as soon as I saw your post. And I know they did it strictly to make money on the new All-Star jerseys and hats.
She touches on the history in the fourth or fifth paragraph. It was '21 when they started the change in uniforms.

I still don't consider that "stealing" home. The pitcher is an idiot and in space somewhere. Same when he took third due to stupid alignment by the third baseman. NOW, amazing baserunning that Ty Cobb would tip his hat to, and very head's up by De La Cruz, but I consider stealing home when the pitcher toes the rubber and you beat the ball to the plate and called safe, even though by rule you have to call this one as well.
He stole home almost as much on the third baseman as he did the pitcher. With a player like that, the infield never adjusted after he stole second. It looked like our D at the end of the LSU game.

He stole home almost as much on the third baseman as he did the pitcher. With a player like that, the infield never adjusted after he stole second. It looked like our D at the end of the LSU game.

I agree. That's why I said Ty Cobb would have tipped his hat to the youngster. Reading a book on him now and he said he would tirelessly look for weaknesses in a defender to allow him to take extra bases and this was exactly what he was speaking of. He said he wasn't the fastest or quickest, he just knew every weakness of every player and knew how to exploit them.

Congratulations to Pinckney and Hitt. While I hate it for our roster, but I hope they have a long successful career. Saw where one of our signees was drafted 16th overall by the Giants.

Congratulations to Pinckney and Hitt. While I hate it for our roster, but I hope they have a long successful career. Saw where one of our signees was drafted 16th overall by the Giants.

Briefly mentioned him last night up the thread, Bryce Eldridge... 2 way player, but a big bat. Signee AJ Ewing (SS) was just taken in the 4th (CB round) by the Mets.

I guess they are playing to a different audience than me, but they've made these MLB All-Star games unwatchable by constantly interviewing players throughout the entire broadcast. What kind of moron green lights this shit?
Same kind of moron who thought it was a good idea to let the winner decide home field advantage in the World Series.

I agree with the writer. So does Ricky.

Back
Top Bottom