| PRO ⚾️ MLB Clubhouse Thread...

Word is that Mantle hit a ball over the lights there in an exhibition game against the Barons. I spent many nights there as a young child. With my grandfather who was a Birmingham policeman assigned to Rickwood during games.

I still have a couple of game programs from some early 80's Barons games there. Always loved the place, even when I was too young to understand and appreciate the history of it. I remember being bummed when the Baron's moved to Hoover... I was about 10 at the time... but I went on to attend to lot of games there too and eventually got used to it. But man, the 2 stadiums could not have been much more different.

As a personal confession. Sometimes, incessantly rarely, I misunderstand humor.

While I can see cornrows outside of Rickwood... ain't a cornfield.

Field of Cotton gets no recognition.

I’m late seeing this, most probably have never heard of him. If you haven't, consider yourself lucky. Let me back up a bit.. A few years ago, I actually subscribed the The Athletic… got one of those deals where it was basically a dollar a month for the entire year (I think it was $7 for the year technically, but I can't remember for sure). Anyway, figured for the Diamondbacks content alone (which is hard to find), it was worth it (plus I liked Aaron Suttles' work compared to the rest of the Bama beat crew). Well, I quickly found out that the writer assigned to the Diamondback was this Zach dude. I wasn’t very familiar with his work other than I knew he was on the Cincinnati Reds beat previously. Turns out, as I quickly discovered, he’s basically a mixture of Stewart Mandel and Joe Goodman who couldn’t help but infuse his (shitty) politics into everything he touched. I dumped The Athletic just a few weeks after signing up, and haven’t looked back since. I’ll never give them another penny after seeing how they handled stuff like COVID... and that alone was bad enough. Giving a major platform and editorial powers to a beta queef like Mandel though is unforgivable. So, fuck ‘em all. A better man would hate to see folks, even shit stains like this, lose their jobs. I’m not a better man though. They made their beds, and I hope it all comes crashing down on each and every one of them who stuck around when they saw what The Athletic became. Same goes for Al.com.

Terrible call. We had a similar situation this past weekend where our third baseman used his foot to block the side of the bag from a kid stealing. The kid hit his foot and was tagged before he hit the base and their coach tried to argue we have to give the kid the opportunity to get to third. Clearly you can't block him with your entire body two steps from the bag, but a foot guarding the bag is 100% within the rules. The runner remained out, but sometimes you really get worried about how a call may change, like this one.

I still don't consider that "stealing" home. The pitcher is an idiot and in space somewhere. Same when he took third due to stupid alignment by the third baseman. NOW, amazing baserunning that Ty Cobb would tip his hat to, and very head's up by De La Cruz, but I consider stealing home when the pitcher toes the rubber and you beat the ball to the plate and called safe, even though by rule you have to call this one as well.

I still don't consider that "stealing" home. The pitcher is an idiot and in space somewhere. Same when he took third due to stupid alignment by the third baseman. NOW, amazing baserunning that Ty Cobb would tip his hat to, and very head's up by De La Cruz, but I consider stealing home when the pitcher toes the rubber and you beat the ball to the plate and called safe, even though by rule you have to call this one as well.
Next you're going to tell us an empty net goal isn't really a goal because the goalie isn't there. 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom