| PRO ⚾️ MLB Clubhouse Thread...

Nashville and SLC. Both cities have rabid fan bases for their current pro teams and both would go nuts for MLB.

I’m a big MLB fan, but my team (BoSox) are absolutely terrible and will more than likely finish at the bottom

My team, AZ, is just now starting to turn the corner again... not much fun rooting for a team that sucks. And AZ could actually have an even better outlook had they not played the "oh we aren't tanking, we are going to remain competitive" card. Waited too late to trade some guys and also made some really dumb free agent signings (like Bumgarner - even though I like him) that made no sense from the start.

First up... MLB Expansion.

The Oakland A's are finally done with the long drawn out stalemate dance with the Bay Area and will be moving to Las Vegas. Personally, I'm all onboard with this. Now, my hope is that Tampa and the Rays can get things figured out and come to a stadium agreement to keep the team in that general area (sounds like they are very close). Next up, MLB is looking to expand to 2 more cities when the Rays situation is finalized... the most likely cities are Nashville, Montreal, Charlotte, Salt Lake City, and Portland. Of those, which 2 would you like to see get teams? Personally for me, it's easy... Nashville #1 and SLC #2. Runner up would be Charlotte.

Which 2 cities would you like to see get teams?
I agree with you on Nashville and Salt Lake City. I'd love to see a team in Montreal, but they gave it a try and couldn't make it work. Not sure if they'd fare any better now, or if the team would be looking to relocate 5 years after they started.

HubbardGlenn.jpg

Do you have the 82 Fleer card autographed?

My team, AZ, is just now starting to turn the corner again... not much fun rooting for a team that sucks. And AZ could actually have an even better outlook had they not played the "oh we aren't tanking, we are going to remain competitive" card. Waited too late to trade some guys and also made some really dumb free agent signings (like Bumgarner - even though I like him) that made no sense from the start.
We sold our fake system for one title and for whatever reason they’ve refused to resign our homegrown talent and now we’re paying for that.

I didn’t understand the Bumgarner signing either

I'd love to see some lineups of the best players that people have seen play in person (basically, best player at each position and some pitchers). Gwynn is 100% on mine.
Most famous player I saw in person was Cal Ripken Jr. Saw a game at Camden Yard about 5-10 games before Ripken broke the consecutive game streak. Had the game count banner on the wall outside the right field fence.

Definitely. I saw McGwire and Sosa in the game that McGwire hit #61. A buddy from high school was playing 3rd base for the Cubs.

Funny you mention him, and we just talked about Gwynn... Back in 1999 my brother was getting married in St. Louis. A few months before the wedding, I got tickets for everyone in the family to go see the Cardinals game the first night we got in town. They were set to play the Padres. Well, that was the season that McGwire was closing in on 500 HR's and Gwynn was closing in on 3,000 hits. I joked that maybe they'd both hit the milestone at the game we were set to attend. As the date got closer, a couple weeks out, it became a real possibility that one or both might actually do it that night. Turns out, McGwire needed 2 HR's that evening. He hit 1 to get to 499. Gwynn went into the game 6 hits shy of 3,000... but still went 4-4 (with a GSHR) to get to 2998. It was a really fun night, but always hated that I didn't get to see one of the milestones (would have preferred Gwynn's if given the choice). Anyway, McGwire got #500 and 501 the next night. Gwynn got his 3,000th hit 2 games later in Montreal.

Most famous player I saw in person was Cal Ripken Jr. Saw a game at Camden Yard about 5-10 games before Ripken broke the consecutive game streak. Had the game count banner on the wall outside the right field fence.

I never saw Ripken... I've come real close to going to Baltimore a few times just to see a series there... SWA used to have pretty cheap flights from B'ham... Now that they have some talent again and are playing better, it would be more fun to go. Would like to see them play the Yankees.

I've been fortunate enough to see a lot of great players. Mostly Braves, but so many opposing teams coming in as well that have played. Chipper, Maddux, Smoltz as a starter and closer, Glavine, Deion, McGriff, Dale Murphy. Seen Jeter play against us in a World Series. Seen Tony Gwynn. Looking forward to adding Trout, Ohtani, Judge, and Bryce Harper this year. Could probably add Kershaw to that list if I decide to go in a couple of weeks. So many others I'm most likely forgetting, but been very fortunate in that respect dating from late 80's to now to see a lot come through.

Nolan Ryan is one I don't recall seeing that I wish I would have loved to have seen. Could have, but don't recall as he was in the American League by time I was going to games and with no Interleague Play and him retiring before then. He was with the Astros around when I started going, but I was too young to remember if the Braves played them when I was there.

I've been fortunate enough to see a lot of great players. Mostly Braves, but so many opposing teams coming in as well that have played. Chipper, Maddux, Smoltz as a starter and closer, Glavine, Deion, McGriff, Dale Murphy. Seen Jeter play against us in a World Series. Seen Tony Gwynn. Looking forward to adding Trout, Ohtani, Judge, and Bryce Harper this year. Could probably add Kershaw to that list if I decide to go in a couple of weeks. So many others I'm most likely forgetting, but been very fortunate in that respect dating from late 80's to now to see a lot come through.

Nolan Ryan is one I don't recall seeing that I wish I would have loved to have seen. Could have, but don't recall as he was in the American League by time I was going to games and with no Interleague Play and him retiring before then. He was with the Astros around when I started going, but I was too young to remember if the Braves played them when I was there.

There were a lot of Braves games from the 80's that I went to but don't remember the opponent. It's possible I saw Nolan Ryan at one point, especially since my Dad liked him and he was the one taking me to the games, but I just don't remember. I used to try and save all the ticket stubs but most of the ones from the 80's got lost over the years. I still know a few of the games though and know of all the non-Braves games I've been to... I've kept up with all of those.

Back
Top Bottom