| FTBL 2024. The new era

Clay Travis is an idiot.

He’s not overstating fans expectations not even a little.

This is the same fan base that still talks about what Bear did or didn’t do, so I don’t expect the same fan base to realize how unique Saban’s tenure was
You say that like it is a bad thing lol. The Bear was an legend in the college football world. Why would we not still talk about him?

Fan expectations are just that.

Expectations. At Vandy? I would expect them to suck. At BAMA? We expect DeBoer to coach these guys up because of his talented roster he was left behind and he can coach 'em up. I mean, that's what he did at UW, right?

If everyone is being honest with themselves, that's what most think. Am I wrong?

That being said, as a fan, no one has ever asked my opinion about squat from the University of Alabama. Clay Travis is on crack.

Interesting thoughts. Although I think he overstates Bama fan expectations. I actually think more fans realize and appreciate Saban’s unique tenure and how it won’t ever be duplicated, particularly in the new era of NIL and portal transfers. I do think we need to at least make it to the Natty (not necessarily win it) within BeBoer’s first 3 years to overcome the public perception (as true as it may be) that Saban was bigger than Bama. The more that sits out there, the harder it will be for DeBoer.

Travis is and always has been a blowhard.

Within reason we become what is expected of us. Bama having high expectations and a high standard helps the organization push towards that standard. Now I fully understand it can also be a detriment unless it is managed with patience and the reality of transition timelines. It can become recless just look at A&M a few years ago and the money they put into Fisher and recently buying recruits. Also OSU with how they are spending to stop the bleeding against UM. The Barn could lead a clinic on letting emotions and unrealistic expectations drive decisions (see Malzones contract when they thought he was the answer against CNS and Bama).

Interesting thoughts. Although I think he overstates Bama fan expectations. I actually think more fans realize and appreciate Saban’s unique tenure and how it won’t ever be duplicated, particularly in the new era of NIL and portal transfers. I do think we need to at least make it to the Natty (not necessarily win it) within BeBoer’s first 3 years to overcome the public perception (as true as it may be) that Saban was bigger than Bama. The more that sits out there, the harder it will be for DeBoer.

I have a hard time relating to someone who calls Travis a "casual." Far from it, in fact.

I have a hard time relating to someone who calls Travis a "casual." Far from it, in fact.
I'm aware of Clay's antics, but I shared it because I thought some of his remarks were worth pondering. Bama's tradition has long been rich. But I think it's worth contemplating how far the return to Earth will be from 6 championships in 12 years when in the previous 30 years we had only 1 championship.

Yeah, his sponsor says it all. :p

I'm aware of Clay's antics, but I shared it because I thought some of his remarks were worth pondering. Bama's tradition has long been rich. But I think it's worth contemplating how far the return to Earth will be from 6 championships in 12 years when in the previous 30 years we had only 1 championship.

I think that shows how much a difference it makes to have the right fit here at Alabama. When we have a true Alpha coach, great things happen. When we don't, we'll start knawing off the hands & feet of that coach.

Travis made the point that Saban was the Dynasty not Alabama. Yes & no. I think it was just the perfect match because this organization knows how to handle itself with the right support with the right coach... better than anybody else. And we were very ripe for the picking when CNS showed up. That first A Day was as much about us as it was CNS. Frankly, I think all parties involved were crazy for each other.

Travis made the point that Saban was the Dynasty not Alabama. Yes & no.
And as I mentioned earlier, this is the issue the university needs to handle gently for PR and recruiting purposes. How to celebrate and memorialize a former coach who, by all metrics, was the best in history without diminishing the institution he paired up with will affect the quality of coaches and recruits we attract moving forward.

What is its use in that sentence? Is "casual" a synonymn for something I don't know, or is he a casual college football hater AND an Alabama hater?
I first heard the term used for fans a year or so ago: Josh Pate's show.

He's calling him a casual football fan: basically "uninformed" football fan.

Back
Top Bottom