| FTBL Kane Wommack

4th and 9- I agree. He didn't check to see his other side. Poor effort by Moore.

3rd and long near ten mins- I watched the replay six times. They were playing soft zone and it's not on safeties. It's on Jefferson. He left his man and went to his right for no reason. Both of the safeties was little too far back maybe 2 to z three yards deeper than they should. But this one goes to Jefferson.
I would put it in these terms, people are not paying attention to detail and doing their job and not someone else. The real question is why is that. Are the coaches not reinforcing the depth or the assignments? Are the players missing execution or not trusting others will do their job? Are they letting the QB move them? To me this is all about discipline and paying attention to details and fundamentally doing your job and trusting the other player will do his job.

@mando

Improve Tackling and Cut down on penalties and I would be willing to bet that most of what we are bitching about with the defense would go away.
I agree and this is something that can be fixed with coaching. Unfortunately this is fundamentals that should have been delt with in fall camp. When you get into the season it is harder to clean things like that up until you have an off week but at this point they may not have a choice.

Tackling? Most of the time, we sling the runner forward to get him down. We actually pulled aSC runner across the goal line. You have to ask yourself, do they ever practice tackling? I’m saying it doesn’t happen.
I think part of it is focus on turnovers by the staff. That is fine but the first guy should get him on the ground then the next guy can try and strip the ball. Fundamentals/details...

I agree and this is something that can be fixed with coaching. Unfortunately this is fundamentals that should have been delt with in fall camp. When you get into the season it is harder to clean things like that up until you have an off week but at this point they may not have a choice.

I absolutely HATE to use this Saban analogy, but I know over the years, that was his MO. During the off week they always worked on fundamentals during the off week practice.

I would put it in these terms, people are not paying attention to detail and doing their job and not someone else. The real question is why is that. Are the coaches not reinforcing the depth or the assignments? Are the players missing execution or not trusting others will do their job? Are they letting the QB move them? To me this is all about discipline and paying attention to details and fundamentally doing your job and trusting the other player will do his job.
Mando, I think it's combination of not trusting themselves and not executing....

If we do indeed move on from Wommack(I really want it to work out).... there's a guy that could possibly be available if we're looking for a new DC. Dave Aranda, not looking good at the moment with him at Baylor.
I think That's the worst part about fans: Wanting to move on from DC so quick. Wommack is not the issue for the most part. You guys have to be patient and let it play out. Aranda back at Alabama? I doubt it.

I think That's the worst part about fans: Wanting to move on from DC so quick. Wommack is not the issue for the most part. You guys have to be patient and let it play out. Aranda back at Alabama? I doubt it.

Not sending pressure for a college football low percentage is on him. It's a major part of being able to affect the offense, the quarterback, and the game. 9%??? Our guys are getting eaten alive in coverage because they are having to hold it for long amounts of time allowing a quarterback to pick us a part. That's 100% on him. Sarkesian would have an absolute field day against us at the moment. Hell, DeBoer would have an absolute field day against our defense at the moment. Let's look at it this way, how would Milroe respond to no pressure and having all day to read through every progression and get it where it needs to be?

Tackling? That's on our guys. You're not going to tell me Alabama has not taught these guys how to properly tackle, so that is solely on them and being prepared from a player prospective. Gap responsibility, that's on the players too. I doubt the coaching staff never taught these guys where to go since they arrived on campus in January.

Understand I'm not saying move on from him. I think all of that chatter is comical and very premature. That being said, he does probably need a slap for continuing to do the same thing over and over again without adjusting. I'm all for giving someone a chance, but in this SEC, this college football world, you no longer get any rest and have to adjust quick, just like Saban did, just like Kirby does, and just like a lot of the other decent coaches do.

I will say this... DeBoer doesn't have his head in the sand, he sees the issues on defense obviously. Maybe things get better, maybe not, but he's trying to get them corrected as best he can considering they are 7 weeks into the season. I mentioned yesterday afternoon that he reassigned some duties on that side of the ball in an effort to get things on track. That in itself is at least promising... that he isn't just sitting back, hands off, simply telling the defensive staff to "fix it". And yes, some of this rests on the players... the effort issues in some cases that have cropped up has been by far the most disappointing thing I've seen this season.

Sheesh... this is rough. At first I was giving the defense the benefit of the doubt. Not anymore. Where is this teams pride in performance?

Some of it has been really bad execution and penalties extending those drives. But, it's also just a glaring difference in the design of the defense under Saban and the defense under Wommack.

From the pre-season breakdown on this defense...
Teams with good QB play will get hot some games and move the chains at a frustrating pace. There's pros and cons to all of it, even Saban's schemes. You'll remember, Saban owned Mike Leach's (who I still miss tremendously) offense... but was susceptible to a guy like Heupel (and I use those 2 specific examples for a reason). You'll see similar cases with this defense, there is no perfect scheme, especially with the ever-evolving offenses and dynamic skill players we are seeing these days.

I used the Mike Leach example for a reason. His team(s) would have likely sustained some irritatingly long drives against this defense, where as Saban ate his offense for lunch.

Some of it has been really bad execution and penalties extending those drives. But, it's also just a glaring difference in the design of the defense under Saban and the defense under Wommack.

From the pre-season breakdown on this defense...

I used the Mike Leach example for a reason. His team(s) would have likely sustained some irritatingly long drives against this defense, where as Saban ate his offense for lunch.

And they show glimpses of doing well with the defensive scheme. The first quarter against Jawja. For the most part of the first half against SC.

Some of this has to be a combination of a very young team PLUS a new scheme being played. But some of it also has to do with these guys not being able to maintain their fundamentals into the second half. That too reflects youth. Just not having the built up bodies to sustain. As you mentioned, some of these issues were present last year too. The defense couldn't hold up against the long, physical game of Michigan. That's why Michigan ran through them in the 4th Q & overtime. You, plus a few others, have been saying the DL is a shadow of 'Bama's formidable years. That too is allowing the 2 LB's to be exploited.

Perhaps, some of these flaws are just really adding up along with teams not being intimidated anymore.

I’ve been hard on them the last 2 weeks, but I don’t think they are too far off from being what they "need" to be. A lot of the issues have been self-inflicted. In a way, that’s at least better than not having the “dudes”. The staff needs to put them in more winnable situations and the players have to do their job. Would like to see the intensity of a couple of guys pick up a notch going forward too. Overall, the yards per play given up isn’t that bad at 4.64, that’s 3rd best in the SEC, 16th best in the nation. I feel a little better about them after this past weekend, but ?’s and some concerns still linger. Saturday afternoon, some of those questions will get answered. Hopefully, some of the concerns begin to evaporate.

I will say this... DeBoer doesn't have his head in the sand, he sees the issues on defense obviously. Maybe things get better, maybe not, but he's trying to get them corrected as best he can considering they are 7 weeks into the season. I mentioned yesterday afternoon that he reassigned some duties on that side of the ball in an effort to get things on track. That in itself is at least promising... that he isn't just sitting back, hands off, simply telling the defensive staff to "fix it". And yes, some of this rests on the players... the effort issues in some cases that have cropped up has been by far the most disappointing thing I've seen this season.
I agree totally, but...the pay's the same.;)

Anyway...ROLL TIDE!

Back
Top Bottom