| FTBL Kane Wommack

I'm still under the impression this defense thrives when it's putting people under pressure. The fact that Wommack keeps dialing back on the blitzes and they keep getting success on 3rd and long is proof that if we stay aggressive in this defense it can be successful. The difference is we will get burned deep once in a while, you just hope that the rush can change the throw enough to make it uncatchable sometimes.

I'll take getting deep burnt sending pressure 10% of the time over sitting back in coverage and get eaten alive every time.

Realistically what are the actions that can be taken to improve as we have the players we have and that is not changing? My cut below:
  • Improve Tackling
  • Cut down on penalties.
  • Defensive calls more aggressive. Seems like he is trying to protect the secondary but in the end it is not working.
  • Some strategic position changes with personel assuming there is someone better behind the guy that is playing.

Thoughts?

Just a few in usce game cause it’s fresh in my head.

4th and 9 td pass near the end of 2nd.

3rd and long at about the 10 minute mark of the 3rd

That’s the 2 off the top of my head.. and yes those are on the “safeties”.
4th and 9- I agree. He didn't check to see his other side. Poor effort by Moore.

3rd and long near ten mins- I watched the replay six times. They were playing soft zone and it's not on safeties. It's on Jefferson. He left his man and went to his right for no reason. Both of the safeties was little too far back maybe 2 to z three yards deeper than they should. But this one goes to Jefferson.

4th and 9- I agree. He didn't check to see his other side. Poor effort by Moore.

3rd and long near ten mins- I watched the replay six times. They were playing soft zone and it's not on safeties. It's on Jefferson. He left his man and went to his right for no reason. Both of the safeties was little too far back maybe 2 to z three yards deeper than they should. But this one goes to Jefferson.

Devonte smith slides to his right… now I agree Jefferson coulda shoulda woulda but smiths play all day long. He’s on top of that route/zone…. That’s also according to the coaches…
Now he could e seen something underneath but that’s o

Devonte smith slides to his right… now I agree Jefferson coulda shoulda woulda but smiths play all day long. He’s on top of that route/zone…. That’s also according to the coaches…
Now he could e seen something underneath but that’s o
We don't know what happened in that play but that's on Jefferson right now. We can't say for sure that's on safeties. Maybe mark this as a maybe but for now that's on Jefferson until we see better explanation.

Moore got burned multiple times at Vandy, including the 4th down moon shot to the endzone and the big play on their last possession where we had them 2nd and 12 back at the Vandy 16 with 2 minutes to go. Those 2 plays were brutal.

Last edited:
Similar to how O’Briens’ offense at Bama seemed to thrive much better in 2 minute/hurry up mode, the defense this season seems to thrive more when they play aggressive with a more “do or die” play calling mentality. There’s gotta be a fine line there in finding some balance IMO, but I’d like to see them lean into the aggressive side a little more going forward. Force the issue a bit more.
During the broadcast yesterday, I heard them say that we are the least “blitzing” team in the nation at somewhere around 9% of the time!! As Roll Tide Willie would say “Blitz BAMA Blitz!!!”

Back
Top Bottom