| FTBL A rudimentary rundown of Kane Wommack's 4-2-5 defense for those interested...

So what is your opinion on “second string (and beyond) development?..We are going to have a “Swarm” defense.. That will mean the players will exhaust quicker…So what are they doing (other than good recruiting) to ensure our “next men up” can be trusted..For years we depended too much on our starters.. When our starters went down the next man up was just grossly underprepared…
The league has been allowed more players on the sidelines, during a season… So either a JV league is going to have to come… Or mandatory substitutions will have to be made during games.. they’re gonna have to find a way to keep these players happy..

We will see a heavier rotation of players than we were used to seeing in the past under Saban... but both good and bad can come from that. There's a balance that has to be struck... where I see a more positive change taking place is we will likely see earlier subs in blowout wins... though I also caution that will lead to some fans fussing that the defense is giving up unnecessary points, especially from UA fans who have wagers on the games and find themselves on the wrong end of them come the 4th quarter. But, there's also a misconception IMO about some of the subbing that Saban's teams did on defense... there was always a pretty steady rotation along the D-Line... you have to have that. It was the off ball LB's and defensive backs that usually ate up big % numbers on the snap counts... that will change to a degree. But again, with it, will comes some mixed results at times… though in a lot of cases, it’s worth it to get some guys more experience with in game reps.

Does this qualify as “bend-but-don’t-break”? I’ve never really understood the details of that term, other than “keeping the ball in front of you.”

Yes, I DO think I am hearing “bend-but-don’t-break.”

I wouldn't go that far, they aren't really purposely giving up underneath yardage, it's just the softest part of the defense. They'd rather give up an 11 play drive that results in a FG attempt from the 39, than a 3 play drive that results in a 68 yard post route for a TD.

@Brandon Van de Graaff @TerryP Curious with this defense, do we have the horses for this type of defense or is it so similar to Saban’s that it’s more or less plug and play with easier terminology?
A few weanlings that will be yearlings before long. The last scrimmage REALLY opened some eyes that had been clouded with doubt.

The personnel packages have a lot in common. The closest similarity to the Saban defense is found in the linebackers. You will find people complaining about the same things. IE: The "Wolf" position is a lot like the "Jack" position in Saban's defense. People complained when we had players in pass coverage from the Jack position. "They should be rushing!" With the "Wolf" position, it's both rushing the passer and coverage responsibilities.

The DL and DB's have the same packages/personnel, but different approaches to the game.

A few weanlings that will be yearlings before long. The last scrimmage REALLY opened some eyes that had been clouded with doubt.

The personnel packages have a lot in common. The closest similarity to the Saban defense is found in the linebackers. You will find people complaining about the same things. IE: The "Wolf" position is a lot like the "Jack" position in Saban's defense. People complained when we had players in pass coverage from the Jack position. "They should be rushing!" With the "Wolf" position, it's both rushing the passer and coverage responsibilities.

The DL and DB's have the same packages/personnel, but different approaches to the game.
Thank you sir

We will see a heavier rotation of players than we were used to seeing in the past under Saban... but both good and bad can come from that. There's a balance that has to be struck... where I see a more positive change taking place is we will likely see earlier subs in blowout wins... though I also caution that will lead to some fans fussing that the defense is giving up unnecessary points, especially from UA fans who have wagers on the games and find themselves on the wrong end of them come the 4th quarter. But, there's also a misconception IMO about some of the subbing that Saban's teams did on defense... there was always a pretty steady rotation along the D-Line... you have to have that. It was the off ball LB's and defensive backs that usually ate up big % numbers on the snap counts... that will change to a degree. But again, with it, will comes some mixed results at times… though in a lot of cases, it’s worth it to get some guys more experience with in game reps.

I wouldn't go that far, they aren't really purposely giving up underneath yardage, it's just the softest part of the defense. They'd rather give up an 11 play drive that results in a FG attempt from the 39, than a 3 play drive that results in a 68 yard post route for a TD.
Glad to see an effort to get more players involved in games… This season will be the most grueling season, for all teams.. And it will never let up..

Back
Top Bottom