| NEWS ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit foresees Auburn exposing Alabama football's defense in Iron Bowl - Montgomery Advertiser

I know this started as Herbstreit putting down Bama and quickly escalated to a UGA/Bama comparison. As far as Herbstreit goes, I imagine he is making comparisons to the Barn and A&M due to similar styles and both being road games for Bama. We struggled and lost at A&M so he expects the same.
As for the comparison of UGA and Bama. Bama has faced 4 Top 50 offenses to UGA’s 2 and UGA has faced 6 Top 50 defenses to BAMA’s 4. UGA has a dominant D and BAMA’s, while not at the suffocating levels of 2011, it’s 14th nationally. We can all agree that it’s the occasional “brain fart” that drives everyone batshit crazy. We all expected our defense to carry this team to this point and our offense to struggle. It has been the opposite to an extent and by our standards. Our offense sits 10th nationally while UGA sits at a pedestrian 43rd, similar positions that our offenses sat back around ‘09-‘13. One could make the comparison that UGA is Bama from 8-10 years ago. I’m ok with UGA sitting in the #1 slot for now. Looking forward to see how the UF game goes.

-This used to be our conversation angle when folks would say that Alabama hasn't really faced a good offensive team. All the while failing to address the fact that Alabama's opponents offensive numbers are low because they played against Alabama's defense.

That is definitely the case here with UGA. Their opponents offensive numbers are low because UGA's domination skewed their data. This is statistics 101. This rings true too against quality of offenses we've played. Our opponents numbers are askew too because the got plenty of yards on us too. I'd like to see the data of everyone's opponents without factoring in their game.
IF I pull UGA out of the statistics these offenses are still in the bottom half. That's the point here.

Those arguments about Alabama facing a good offensive team? We saw that come true when they faced teams like Clemson. The difference in those types of ball games is Alabama had an offense that could keep up. Does Georgia? We don't now if they do, we do know they haven't to date.

Last year they were allowing a little over 10 points per game if we take out the two dynamic offenses they faced. Bama and Florida dropped 41 and 44 on them respectively. They didn't have the offense to keep up.

They were allowing less than 10 points per game in '19 until they ran into LSU: 37 was put up on their defense.

Until I see differently, I have no reason to believe they have the offense to keep up with the better offenses in college football. It's the old "proof is in the pudding" thing.

I haven't forgotten the Rose Bowl and the shootout there in '18. I haven't forgotten the OU defense was 97th in efficiency out of 130 teams either. Coincidentally, the 2018 team may be the best comparison to make when looking at UGA.
-The SOS really has become a joke, especially when factoring in preseason polls. All though I do think we have played better competition but that's not based on the rankings.
What metric cited has based the current SOS on pre-season rankings? I'd agree with you if we were in week three, but we're more than halfway through the season.

FEI has UGA's SOS at #42 (UA at #4) and that's based purely on what's happened within this season measuring efficiency on both sides of the ball: UGA's and their opponents.

You have faith in Georgia. Okay. The substance of things not seen ...
Why is it so difficult to give credit due to Jawja? We can compare stats that suit our confirmation bias all day long. And I get how, as a fan, it is really difficult to concede another team as better at this point. That's the whole challenge of fan(atics).
Oops? Perhaps that's addressed at the wrong individual?

What credit it to be given to a team that hasn't faced an offense that's credit worthy? Again, that's my point.

We don't know what they'll do when they face a good offense. We do know how they've responded in the past.

IF I pull UGA out of the statistics these offenses are still in the bottom half. That's the point here.

Those arguments about Alabama facing a good offensive team? We saw that come true when they faced teams like Clemson. The difference in those types of ball games is Alabama had an offense that could keep up. Does Georgia? We don't now if they do, we do know they haven't to date.

Last year they were allowing a little over 10 points per game if we take out the two dynamic offenses they faced. Bama and Florida dropped 41 and 44 on them respectively. They didn't have the offense to keep up.

They were allowing less than 10 points per game in '19 until they ran into LSU: 37 was put up on their defense.

Until I see differently, I have no reason to believe they have the offense to keep up with the better offenses in college football. It's the old "proof is in the pudding" thing.

I haven't forgotten the Rose Bowl and the shootout there in '18. I haven't forgotten the OU defense was 97th in efficiency out of 130 teams either. Coincidentally, the 2018 team may be the best comparison to make when looking at UGA.

What metric cited has based the current SOS on pre-season rankings? I'd agree with you if we were in week three, but we're more than halfway through the season.

FEI has UGA's SOS at #42 (UA at #4) and that's based purely on what's happened within this season measuring efficiency on both sides of the ball: UGA's and their opponents.

You have faith in Georgia. Okay. The substance of things not seen ...

What credit it to be given to a team that hasn't faced an offense that's credit worthy? Again, that's my point.

We don't know what they'll do when they face a good offense. We do know how they've responded in the past.

What does the past have to do with this current team? You continue to hammer a point about not facing an offense. Just like you do with 3rd and Kirby. The past is irrelevant when new players and coaches are involved, not even to mention new opponents as well. Well it doesn't matter because they have beat the teams in front of them handily without there ever being a question.

What defense have we played? You want to talk about the defense of Ole Miss that needed a failed two point conversion against Arkansas to win a 50 point game? You want to point to a Texas A&M team that got beat by Arkansas and Mississippi State? Miami that is 3-4? How do we know our offense can handle a top defense? Without a monster first quarter we lose to Florida, after they hold us to 10 points the rest of the game and scoring 26 against us.

You're just down right defiant if you can't give credit to a team for doing what they should be doing against their opponents. Georgia is setting the tone in all of their games, and they haven't been close. We looked like crap against Mercer, we looked bad in three quarters against Florida, we played like crap against Texas A&M, and yet all you want to say is "well, we've always had issues on defense over the middle, well, our schedule is harder". it's not that much of a difference for you to continue to say they don't deserve credit and aren't a good team. Last year and the year before, I'd agree with you, but now they have a team full of Juniors that are showing out and playing well. You've shown you'll dig your heels in, and I expect nothing to change in this instance, but you aren't correct by saying this is not a better Georgia team than last year, the year before, and even from the Oklahoma Rose Bowl game. None of those defenses flew around the ball like this one, regardless of the opponent. The only better Georgia team I could hold to this one on both sides of the ball was their 2012 team. That SEC Championship was the best game I have ever seen. We have no one that can cover Brock Bowers. I am not worried at all about White, Cook, Milton, and McIntosh, but Bowers is the guy that would obliterate us right now. Nakobi Dean, Channing Tindle, and Nolan Smith would abuse the right side of our line. Other than that, we match up very well against them. I have no doubt Williams and Metchie can handle Ringo and Kendrick. It will be a good game, but not if Bryce can't throw and is running for his life all game.

I agree 100% and I'm not sure anyone posting has said uGA sucks or isn't good. I think the point is that they may be as dominant as some are saying, but to date the proof hasn't been put forward. I just don't buy into the media hype about their dominance... to date. To be honest, I really don't even care. It matters very little to me. If Bama wants to win the NC we're going to have to play the best teams and to beat those teams we are going to have to clean things up a lot from where we are now. I think we have the best talent and CAN be the best team IF we come together and gel as a team. So far we've shown in multiple areas where we are the best... it's just not consistent nor all the same time. We seem to be a two steps forward and one step back team right now.

Anyway, I'm going to enjoy watching the uGA game this weekend and hope UF puts in as good and physical a game as they did us. Let those uGA players eats some of that RAT POSION for once ;)

What defense have we played? You want to talk about the defense of Ole Miss that needed a failed two point conversion against Arkansas to win a 50 point game? You want to point to a Texas A&M team that got beat by Arkansas and Mississippi State? Miami that is 3-4? How do we know our offense can handle a top defense? Without a monster first quarter we lose to Florida, after they hold us to 10 points the rest of the game and scoring 26 against us.
The offense vs Florida is getting mis-remembered I fear. It had a bad 2nd Q. Admittedly.

Look at the 2nd half possessions. Scored each possession then the last drive got the first downs to win the game. First real road game in 2 years, with a brand new QB and all new offensive skill players.

If anything, the offense has been amazingly efficient all year.

The offense vs Florida is getting mis-remembered I fear. It had a bad 2nd Q. Admittedly.

Look at the 2nd half possessions. Scored each possession then the last drive got the first downs to win the game. First real road game in 2 years, with a brand new QB and all new offensive skill players.

If anything, the offense has been amazingly efficient all year.

I agree with you, but against a defense three times better than that Florida defense that couldn't stop LSU, you have to wonder how we fare.

What does the past have to do with this current team? You continue to hammer a point about not facing an offense. Just like you do with 3rd and Kirby. The past is irrelevant when new players and coaches are involved, not even to mention new opponents as well. Well it doesn't matter because they have beat the teams in front of them handily without there ever being a question.
How is the past irrelevant when we see it repeated? "Those who ignore history about bound to repeat it?"

Who are the new coaches at UGA? Who are the new players that I should be paying attention to here? Their offense has not changed since Kirby took over.
What does that have to do with whether or not UGA has faced a dynamic offense and whether they have the ability to keep up?

How many times do I need to say this: that's the point.

Let's think about what you're saying here. You're bringing up Ole Miss and Arkansas and that result all the while ignoring conversations you were involved with, and agreed with, that Lane's attention was focused on beating Alabama.

We don't know what Bama will do against a defense like Georgia's but we do know what UGA's offense will do when facing an opposing offense that can put points on the board? What?

UNTIL UGA plays an offense like Ohio State's, or Alabama's, we don't know if they can keep up.

Again, that's my point! They've not been able to in the past but I should assume they can now?

Let's keep this in context, shall we? 3rd and Kirby has nothing to do with this conversation. That's a weakness in Saban's defensive scheme that's a quarter of a century old. But let's ignore that?

I agree 100% and I'm not sure anyone posting has said uGA sucks or isn't good. I think the point is that they may be as dominant as some are saying, but to date the proof hasn't been put forward. I just don't buy into the media hype about their dominance... to date.
I'm with you here.

I'm looking for a reason to believe UGA's offense can keep up with today's offenses. I've yet to see one.

Absolutely. Florida has shit the bed since we played them.
The last time I looked they were leading the SEC in yards before contact rushing. That's a strength on strength battle with UGA allowing about a yard less than Florida's been gaining.

The Gators, in the games since they played Bama, have ran their offense more east and west versus going vertical. I can see the idea of getting them winded although I'd be more inclined to run right at their strength.

How is the past irrelevant when we see it repeated? "Those who ignore history about bound to repeat it?"

Who are the new coaches at UGA? Who are the new players that I should be paying attention to here? Their offense has not changed since Kirby took over.

What does that have to do with whether or not UGA has faced a dynamic offense and whether they have the ability to keep up?

How many times do I need to say this: that's the point.

Let's think about what you're saying here. You're bringing up Ole Miss and Arkansas and that result all the while ignoring conversations you were involved with, and agreed with, that Lane's attention was focused on beating Alabama.

We don't know what Bama will do against a defense like Georgia's but we do know what UGA's offense will do when facing an opposing offense that can put points on the board? What?

UNTIL UGA plays an offense like Ohio State's, or Alabama's, we don't know if they can keep up.

Again, that's my point! They've not been able to in the past but I should assume they can now?

Let's keep this in context, shall we? 3rd and Kirby has nothing to do with this conversation. That's a weakness in Saban's defensive scheme that's a quarter of a century old. But let's ignore that?

I'm with you here.

I'm looking for a reason to believe UGA's offense can keep up with today's offenses. I've yet to see one.

It's funny, because you didn't want to give LSU the benefit of the doubt either a couple of years back and they won the National Championship. by that measure Alabama should win the National Championship each year if you simply want to go off of the past. Nothing more to say because you're back and forth with whatever suits your opinion in the matter. Going round in circles at this point.

It's funny, because you didn't want to give LSU the benefit of the doubt either a couple of years back and they won the National Championship. by that measure Alabama should win the National Championship each year if you simply want to go off of the past. Nothing more to say because you're back and forth with whatever suits your opinion in the matter. Going round in circles at this point.
AS slow as I am at least I get the idea of what people are saying here. Going in circles is right since they're coming back to the same point: we don't now what they'll do when facing a dynamic offense.

The last time I looked they were leading the SEC in yards before contact rushing. That's a strength on strength battle with UGA allowing about a yard less than Florida's been gaining.

The Gators, in the games since they played Bama, have ran their offense more east and west versus going vertical. I can see the idea of getting them winded although I'd be more inclined to run right at their strength.

Great stat. Their offense was not an issue vs. LSU. I don't know what happened to the D that game, especially seeing what OM did to LSU.

Florida can give UGA some issues if they run like the stats you shared indicate. The mobile QB will provide them chances. And Mullen had Kirby and Lanning's head spinning last year with the pass routes they threw at them, and UGA had zero answers and repeatedly busted and miscommunicated on the same concepts from Florida.

I didn't trust the LSU staff then, before then, and after '19. It's easy to see why now, isn't it? I'd dare say "the perfect storm" we saw was bolstered by a lot of luck. Look no further than Burrow's choices of where he wanted to attend school; he fell into their lap, so to speak.

But Casey, come on now. "By that measure Alabama should win the National Championship each year?" Hyperbolic much?

My opinion in this discussion has remained the same since it started. "We don't know because they haven't faced ..."

How many times have I said that?

Thanks for the chuckle, by the way..."going in circles."

It's my opinion Mullen and Kiffin could be adjoined twins. When they're focused on one game they do a pretty damn good job. When they aren't? Who the hell knows what we're going to see.
Don't you think it is likely Mullen spent a lot of time in off season and fall practicing for two teams "Bama and UGA"? If so it is no wander they played well and appeared more prepared against Bama. Hope for the same against UGA but to me UF has regressed since taking the loss to us.

AS slow as I am at least I get the idea of what people are saying here. Going in circles is right since they're coming back to the same point: we don't now what they'll do when facing a dynamic offense.

How many "dynamic" offenses are there in the entire country? By that measure we may never know, other than the fact they destroy anyone they're playing. @TerryP says Ohio State, but who the hell has Ohio State played that would challenge their offense? What is saying they are dynamic? The fact they beat Minnesota, Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana, Tulsa, and Akron? Scored 28 against Oregon in a game that was way worse than the final score showed, and we know Oregon isn't known for defense. So we really won't know how any defense this season is any good until they play us?

Don't you think it is likely Mullen spent a lot of time in off season and fall practicing for two teams "Bama and UGA"? If so it is no wander they played well and appeared more prepared against Bama. Hope for the same against UGA but to me UF has regressed since taking the loss to us.
I know he has. Years ago I was part of the staff on GatorCountry and was fortunate to get to know more than a handful of Bull Gators. They were telling me about Bama prep back in the summer when they were in skel drills/7 on 7 work.

The same with Jimbo and Lane. I'd be willing to bet ole Josh does next season before Bama visits Knoxville.

Jimbo salvaged their season with their upset and we know he's been aiming for the Tide since the summer when he was on his speaking circuit.

I know he has. Years ago I was part of the staff on GatorCountry and was fortunate to get to know more than a handful of Bull Gators. They were telling me about Bama prep back in the summer when they were in skel drills/7 on 7 work.

The same with Jimbo and Lane. I'd be willing to bet ole Josh does next season before Bama visits Knoxville.

Jimbo salvaged their season with their upset and we know he's been aiming for the Tide since the summer when he was on his speaking circuit.
Yeah his mouth had written a check. Even then I still contend it was more about the crappy play of Bama more so than A&M. Give them credit (but not to much :) ), they did win in the end.

How many "dynamic" offenses are there in the entire country? By that measure we may never know, other than the fact they destroy anyone they're playing. @TerryP says Ohio State, but who the hell has Ohio State played that would challenge their offense? What is saying they are dynamic?
I can't speak for Tider here but have a thought.

When there's only one team out of the 130 that's scored more touchdowns than Ohio State I'd say the Buckeyes are a good place to start, right? They've become very efficient on offense since their game with Oregon.

You lead me to a question. I'll assume you consider Ole Miss to have a dynamic offense. Ohio State's putting up better numbers and are more efficient than Lane's crew. If one is dynamic and the other is putting up better numbers wouldn't you call that dynamic?

Our SOS is a little inflated now given by Sunday Miami and Florida will have a total of 9 losses between them. Ouch. They were both top 14 when we met. We’re hanging our hat on the Ole Miss win, which was a good one. But there’s not many trophy’s after that one. But that’s the schedule we have.

Back
Top Bottom