| NEWS ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit foresees Auburn exposing Alabama football's defense in Iron Bowl - Montgomery Advertiser

B

Bama News

ESPN broadcasters Kirk Herbstreit and Matt Barrie discussed a range of topics on Monday's "The ESPN College Football Podcast."

One of the topics they discussed was Alabama's defensive struggles in a 52-24 win against Tennessee on Oct. 23.

That performance gave Herbstreit questions about how Alabama will perform at Auburn in the 2021 Iron Bowl on Saturday, Nov. 27.

Auburn, ranked No. 21 in the USA Today Sports AFCA Coaches Poll, is 5-2 overall and 2-1 in the SEC. No. 3 Alabama is 7-1 overall and 4-1 in the SEC.

Herbstreit said he was shocked Tennessee played close with Alabama. At the end of the third quarter, Alabama led Tennessee 24-17.

"The Vols were looking good," Herbstreit said. "What's up with that?! Alabama had some busts in coverage again. Not looking real sharp."

Barrie responded, "Alabama needs to be careful. Alabama lives just too dangerously enough where that'll cost them against LSU. That'll cost them against Auburn. That'll cost them against one of these teams late in the season."

Alabama has an open week before facing LSU on Nov. 6.

"The defense has been a mystery," Herbstreit said of Alabama. "They played so well late last year. To me, when he (Alabama head coach Nick Saban) has veterans at the second and third level, that defense is so devastating."

In 2020, Alabama allowed 26.4 points per game through the first five games, and it allowed 15.5 points per game over the last eight games.

"Right now, they get certain looks, and it's just not clicking the way you would expect it to click with a veteran group," Herbstreit said. "In fact, this was an issue last year for this defense the first three, four, five weeks, but it was like they had this aha moment. ... And all of those guys are back this year, and so you would expect zero busts, zero breakdowns, everybody locked in. And it's just not been the case."

Herbstreit was dismissive of Alabama's remaining SEC opponents LSU and Arkansas posing a threat, but Alabama's lone road game at Auburn causes him some concern.

"You got to go to Jordan-Hare, which could be a little bit sneaky," Herbstreit said. "(Auburn head coach) Bryan Harsin — he and (Auburn offensive coordinator) Mike Bobo — that's the game where you can draw up ball plays with a veteran quarterback, and you realize, 'OK, what's the kryptonite to Nick Saban's defense?' The kryptonite is multiple formations, up-tempo, return the tight end, motions to go to trips now on the boundary, now bring them back over here, make them have to think. Now, we got a quarterback that can run and throw. It's the formula to move the ball and hit some explosives. ... Plus, it's a rivalry game.

"But they (Auburn) definitely have the offense and the mind with Harsin and Bobo and (Auburn quarterback) Bo Nix to at least make it tough on 'Bama," Herbstreit added. "But other than that, I just don't know if they (Alabama) play anybody else that can expose that concern in that 'Bama defense right now."

Auburn is scheduled to host Ole Miss on Saturday, Oct. 30.

'OK, what's the kryptonite to Nick Saban's defense?' The kryptonite is multiple formations, up-tempo, return the tight end, motions to go to trips now on the boundary, now bring them back over here, make them have to think. Now, we got a quarterback that can run and throw. It's the formula to move the ball and hit some explosives. ... Plus, it's a rivalry game.

Code:
doning.subjective.hat
Good god, the hyperbole. :rolleyes:

For one, that is a weakness of every team in football. Secondly, it's confusing to think how "kryptonite" is supposed to work and he keeps winning. 🤷‍♂️

Code:
hanging.hat.up

In 2020, Alabama allowed 26.4 points per game through the first five games, and it allowed 15.5 points per game over the last eight games.
We'll see how this trends as the season continues.

I read that and noted they're half of the way through the season and halfway between 26.4 and 15.5. It's 20.6 I believe.

Pretty sure most of Saban's teams get better as the season goes unless injuries become an issue. This team had some inexperience or new players in a few spots that needed reps. I believe this team can win it all but it will have to clean up some areas for sure.

Agree with @50+yeartidefan defense improves then it doesn't. Sometimes it is more about matchups which can give the perception of improvement and then it doesn't when the matchup is not in our favor. Bottom line I think this team will go as far as the Defense and Offense go relative to the running game. The Offenses pass protection, downfield accuracy and explosive plays would help also. Still a VERY good team but I am talking about the games that require them to play their A+ game.

I mean, he's not lying. I can't seem to figure why we have so many busted coverages this year. With a veteran group on defense you wouldn't think this would happen so much. Hey, I get it, it's going to happen here and there, but why on Earth did it happen three times in the Tennessee game alone, and notably in the redzone where Hooker darted a pass and Moore was just lost? It's not like Tennessee ran out there in formations we have never ever seen before or didn't see at some point on tape.

AU is going to give us some problems & we are playing in JHS. Their has been a few mighty 'Bama teams lose games there we had no business losing.

Everything hinges on Bryce Young. He'll galvanize the votes for the Heisman trophy based on this game & the SECCG. I can see him doing it with an improving team but if we can't get past these blown assignments & have no more injuries (please Lord Baby Jesus keep Anderson healthy) then I see the Iron Bowl as a really big challenge.

I mean, he's not lying. I can't seem to figure why we have so many busted coverages this year. With a veteran group on defense you wouldn't think this would happen so much. Hey, I get it, it's going to happen here and there, but why on Earth did it happen three times in the Tennessee game alone, and notably in the redzone where Hooker darted a pass and Moore was just lost? It's not like Tennessee ran out there in formations we have never ever seen before or didn't see at some point on tape.

Tennessee fans point to how they hung with bama....did....but didnt...

One one play...were still sending in signals when TN snapped ball...receiver ran right past defender.. ( really)

On TD...D backfield...half playing one coverage....other half playing another...

On other TD...Safety out of position...

Players or coaching....

It's not like Tennessee ran out there in formations we have never ever seen before or didn't see at some point on tape.
His play calling/offensive philosophy is a bit on the quirky side. The pace of play is something tape does little to account for, and you can't practice against it was well.

One one play...were still sending in signals when TN snapped ball...receiver ran right past defender..

Players or coaching....

Hang on to your hat here.

Coaching. The quick snap call beat the defensive call.

His play calling/offensive philosophy is a bit on the quirky side. The pace of play is something tape does little to account for, and you can't practice against it was well.

Hang on to your hat here.

Coaching. The quick snap call beat the defensive call.

I agree with that. Pace of play is almost impossible to get ready for, but you would have to know at any given time a team can go tempo and then you have a blanket defensive call to keep busts and broken coverages from happening.

As down as I've been about the defense this year, I think some of yall must be seeing a different Auburn team that me.

I think it's what they're capable of and where the game is being played. If Nix is on, he can cause some trouble. Bigsby and that other freshman back they have are solid ball players. It's not wrong to think it's a tough situation for this team and a concern with what team is gonna show up, the Texas A&M version or the Ole Miss version.

As down as I've been about the defense this year, I think some of yall must be seeing a different Auburn team that me.

I think most of the hand-wringing has more to do with the horse-shoe that was up Tubberville's ass that has subsequently been bequeathed to each ass hat they have hired since., not that Auburn isn't a decent team. It just seems that Auburn turn into Stephen Garcia and the 2010 South Carolina team every time we roll into Jerdin Hair.

Which sideline? It was a compliment to Tennessee.

The point of the quick snap is it's unexpected. It was. It worked. Good call, good coaching.
Bama sideline when d back came off
Jobe had back to receiver when ball snapped..Was some discussions ....very
Lengthy....lol

So...bama shouldnt have been expecting quick snap? Wow!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom