| NEWS ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit foresees Auburn exposing Alabama football's defense in Iron Bowl - Montgomery Advertiser

As much as I don’t see a path where we lose to Auburn without serious self inflicted wounds.. which we have proven that we are proficient at, I also don’t see us beating Georgia this year unless we are capable of filling some serious holes. Mainly, Davis versus our center and guard and their barrage of ends and linebackers versus number 79. Their d-line has dominated much better players all year long. I do think our run stopping improving does give me a glimmer of hope as I think we can keep it close. But the best way, in my opinion, to attack the dogs is with quick passes to game breakers on the outside. And 4-5 yard them to death. That would have been easy for the last 2 or 3 years but we are lacking explosiveness out there minus Williams but he has shown a propensity to drop the ball and an inability Or unwillingness to block for his brother.

I happen to agree with you a lot there. Our hope is that we can just let our defensive front seven run wild and just cause trouble. organization isn't seemingly working, so I think we continue to work on the run defense which is getting better, and find ways to interrupt Stetson Bennett or Daniels. I don't have much hope for our Center to Right side of the line having any luck against their defense.

As will LSU, Ark etc.... This is about Bama cleaning up itself not the opponent. I also do not get all of the Georgia fear. I know you used to be a UGA fan so maybe that is some of it. Are they a good team sure but we are still BAMA with BAMA talent and we are still in their head. I think we have a higher ceiling if we can clean up stuff. I am indeed drinking the Bama Kool-Aid but I have seen this script before and CNS usually comes out on top.

Yeah, you're definitely drinking the Kool-Aid. I used to be a Georgia fan, so I am fully aware of the disappointment expected of their teams. This year they're showing something different, something that hasn't been seen out of them since the early 80's. There has not been a close game yet. They are not playing down to opponents. Alabama did that exact thing with A&M and Tennessee for three quarters. In what is a down year for college football across the board, Georgia is the one team just smashing everyone. NOW, they haven't played a team with our talent. Our talent is the only thing that gives us a chance, because an organized defense is not what we have, they do. I find it hard for us to beat them when you look at their body of work and ours. It'll be another great game if both teams are fortunate enough to make it to Atlanta. I have faith, but also not acting as if Georgia isn't that good and that we are too good.

Hopefully Herbie is wrong. If the edge & execution from Ole Miss shows up, he should be. If those are more like TAMU, they will be competitive.

2 things come to mind for me - Injuries and road games. Will Drew Sanders be back & good to go? And the most questionable performances by the D were on the road.... So that is a concern. As well as Bryce on the road - Hoping the Miss St., game went a long way for him getting comfortable. He looked great!

Yeah, you're definitely drinking the Kool-Aid. I used to be a Georgia fan, so I am fully aware of the disappointment expected of their teams. This year they're showing something different, something that hasn't been seen out of them since the early 80's. There has not been a close game yet. They are not playing down to opponents. Alabama did that exact thing with A&M and Tennessee for three quarters. In what is a down year for college football across the board, Georgia is the one team just smashing everyone. NOW, they haven't played a team with our talent. Our talent is the only thing that gives us a chance, because an organized defense is not what we have, they do. I find it hard for us to beat them when you look at their body of work and ours. It'll be another great game if both teams are fortunate enough to make it to Atlanta. I have faith, but also not acting as if Georgia isn't that good and that we are too good.
Hmmm... not to say uGA isn't good... but I think you're buying a bit too much of the media press.

Show me a game over an impressive opponent to date? They played down to Clemson... let's remember they won on a Defensive Pick 6.

UAB, uSC, Vandy... worthless.

Arky may be a good team, but I'm not sold on them yet either.
Auburn made a shit ton of mistakes in the game. It's not like uGA ran away with that one. I didn't see the UK game, but I don't care what UK's record is... it's UK.

Now, what do we see this weekend vs UF? I expect uGA does win, but UF has talent on the team and can be a test for them. I don't think anyone else on that schedule is worth a crap so no need to even talk about it.

UGA may be the real deal... but you can hardly say that by the teams they've played to date. I'm not buying the kool-aid on uGA being such a great team... yet.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Hmmm... not to say uGA isn't good... but I think you're buying a bit too much of the media press.

Show me a game over an impressive opponent to date? They played down to Clemson... let's remember they won on a Defensive Pick 6.

UAB, uSC, Vandy... worthless.

Arky may be a good team, but I'm not sold on them yet either.
Auburn made a shit ton of mistakes in the game. It's not like uGA ran away with that one. I didn't see the UK game, but I don't care what UK's record is... it's UK.

Now, what do we see this weekend vs UF? I expect uGA does win, but UF has talent on the team and can be a test for them. I don't think anyone else on that schedule is worth a crap so no need to even talk about it.

UGA may be the real deal... but you can hardly say that by the teams they've played to date. I'm not buying the kool-aid on uGA being such a great team... yet.

View attachment 19370

I'm gonna go with the stats and you can keep going with your opinion. They've kicked the shit out of everyone they played. Who cares if they haven't played the entire Top 10 in the polls, they're winning and they're dominating. Who have we played that is any better than their schedule? Mercer, Southern Miss, Miami, Mississippi State? We played well against Ole Miss, yes (can probably hold them and Kentucky in the same light). Almost lost to Florida (first common opponent, so we'll see this weekend). But Texas A&M (similar to Arkansas/Auburn if I had to say), we lost to. We have holes in our defense. We have a weak right side of our offensive line that thank goodness Bryce Young can make up for. You can't sit there and make those same points when talking about Georgia. Hell, they have a no name guy playing quarterback that is still having them average 38 points per game.

I'm gonna go with the stats and you can keep going with your opinion. They've kicked the shit out of everyone they played. Who cares if they haven't played the entire Top 10 in the polls, they're winning and they're dominating. Who have we played that is any better than their schedule? Mercer, Southern Miss, Miami, Mississippi State? We played well against Ole Miss, yes (can probably hold them and Kentucky in the same light). Almost lost to Florida (first common opponent, so we'll see this weekend). But Texas A&M (similar to Arkansas/Auburn if I had to say), we lost to. We have holes in our defense. We have a weak right side of our offensive line that thank goodness Bryce Young can make up for. You can't sit there and make those same points when talking about Georgia. Hell, they have a no name guy playing quarterback that is still having them average 38 points per game.
I didn't bring our schedule into this nor how good we may or may not be... By the way, I'm not sure we are even as good as uGA at this point of the season... we do have a lot of pieces to the puzzle if the players can "hit their stride." However, that's a completely different discussion.

Have you watched any of the uGA games?

The Arky game, uGA ran 58 times and only attempted 11 passes completing only 7 and most of those were for 4-5 yards. Arky couldn't stop the run, which is also an issue vs Ole Miss in the Arky loss to them.

In the Clemson game uGA didn't even score an offensive TD.

Is uGA good... most certainly. Do they have one of the best defenses in the country... most likely. Are they some dominate force of nature, not sold on that media hype as of yet. Their offensive power is yet to be proved in any meaningful game and in looking at the stats of the games that they did play a decent team it shows some considerable weak areas. Maybe it's because of that No-name 5th year QB they have that played a considerable bit last year as a starter for them...

Their offensive power is yet to be proved in any meaningful game and in looking at the stats of the games that they did play a decent team it shows some considerable weak areas. Maybe it's because of that No-name 5th year QB they have that played a considerable bit last year as a starter for them...
Compare their offense this season to Bama's in '20, or LSU's in '19, and what do you have left? They are not comparable.

They've blown out a few teams like Vandy and UAB but they've yet to put up so many points that the game was out of reach quickly. The Bama defense isn't a lot different than it was in 2018 and neither is Georgia's offense.

I didn't bring our schedule into this nor how good we may or may not be... By the way, I'm not sure we are even as good as uGA at this point of the season... we do have a lot of pieces to the puzzle if the players can "hit their stride." However, that's a completely different discussion.

Have you watched any of the uGA games?

The Arky game, uGA ran 58 times and only attempted 11 passes completing only 7 and most of those were for 4-5 yards. Arky couldn't stop the run, which is also an issue vs Ole Miss in the Arky loss to them.

In the Clemson game uGA didn't even score an offensive TD.

Is uGA good... most certainly. Do they have one of the best defenses in the country... most likely. Are they some dominate force of nature, not sold on that media hype as of yet. Their offensive power is yet to be proved in any meaningful game and in looking at the stats of the games that they did play a decent team it shows some considerable weak areas. Maybe it's because of that No-name 5th year QB they have that played a considerable bit last year as a starter for them...
I've watched every one of their games that wasn't on at the same time as ours.

Clemson, still a VERY good defense until Pitt got ahold of them.

Arkansas, still a very good ball team. They beat Texas and Texas A&M, whom beat us. Tough atmosphere and a bringing back down to Earth moment.

You asked me to look at their schedule as if comparing it to who we played and why you consider them not up to the hype. I pointed out their schedule was very relatable to ours and they have blown folks out. Their offense hasn't truly been tested because they don't really need to be. This is no different than our defense not being tested simple due to our offense last year.

@SoCalPatrick why would anyone try and relate an offense to ours last year and LSU's the year before that? The best offenses ever aren't really a fair comparison to any team.

I think it is blaringly obvious folks haven't watched very many UGA games this year if any. I have watched them all because I am in a house divided.

Here is my assessment of them so far:

1. Foremost, they have the best 2 Nose Tackles in the country. They are stopping the run & blowing up the middle with good pass rush with just those two. They do this extremely well most of the time. Oh & these also take up blockers while Nakobe Dean wins the Butkus. This is our biggest issue when facing them. We don't match up well with them at all. At least we don't right now. Anybody who fails to see this right now is just in denial or blind.

2. Because of #1 they are blocking punts & blocking kicks or getting close. This is their Ace in the Hole if it is a close game. It is usually ours because of our kicker but they neutralize this or win.

3. Their offensive line is better than ours. They will be able to run the ball. And they'll just run away from the Terminator. The question for me is if the adjustments we make will be enough to stop them. I really don't know but they will run the ball on us & score with the run. At least twice.

4. They aren't beating themselves with stupid penalties etc. This is reflected in the rosters with their senior & super senior leadership.

5. They complete simple TE passes in the middle of the field on everybody. They do this every time the opposing defense creeps in to stop the run. That's all Bennet has to do. Read the defense. Throw to really good TE's. Then run when the defense spreads back out.

Now I do believe we are the best equipped team to beat them. I said it earlier about Bryce. He is the key & if our defense can continue to improve on the run then we'll be in a good position to outscore them. But those 5 points is the UGA program right now. And if they get back a few more players their offense will be more improved. We'll see.

I am VERY interested to see how UF does against them.

It’s pretty clear Alabama has faced a tougher schedule so far.

Kentucky is a 1.5 pt favorite this weekend vs Mississippi St FWIW

It’s pretty clear Alabama has faced a tougher schedule so far.

Kentucky is a 1.5 pt favorite this weekend vs Mississippi St FWIW

We're #1 and #2 respectively from what I've seen, and we have a loss.

Georgia opponents records - including Florida as a win for them. 35-26

Alabama opponents record - including Florida with another loss to equal it out. 33-26

That's not very clear.

Last edited:
We're #1 and #2 respectively from what I've seen, and we have a loss.

Georgia opponents records - including Florida as a win for them. 35-26

Alabama opponents record - including Florida with another loss to equal it out. 33-26

That's not very clear.
OK, so opponents records put the two teams close but that doesn't even scratch the canvas on this picture.

That doesn't account for a Miami offense ranked #40 overall, Clemson ranked #115th.

Georgia doesn't play Ole Miss. That alone separates the two. As of this weekend they'll both have played the #6 offense in conference as well as #4. Alabama with #2, #4, and #6.

Seems pretty clear from here.

Total defense points to Bama playing better competition and it will by seasons end as well.

OK, so opponents records put the two teams close but that doesn't even scratch the canvas on this picture.

That doesn't account for a Miami offense ranked #40 overall, Clemson ranked #115th.

Georgia doesn't play Ole Miss. That alone separates the two. As of this weekend they'll both have played the #6 offense in conference as well as #4. Alabama with #2, #4, and #6.

Seems pretty clear from here.

Total defense points to Bama playing better competition and it will by seasons end as well.

Your basis is on one team, Ole Miss, that is equivalent to Kentucky. You can keep saying it's clear all you want, but in the end, Georgia has dominated every game they have been in, outside of the Clemson game in which their defense did.

From a name prospective one would say our schedule is tougher to this point, but from a ground view they are pretty dang similar. This whole discussion was more to prove Georgia has done more with their schedule with no close games outside of Clemson. You're acting like we have the #1 SOS and they are sitting at #75, and that simply isn't true. I have been Georgia's biggest critic for years, so it's not some old tugging at my heart string story. I hate they could win it all because of all the shit talking that will come with it. But they are earned their ranking and statistically the praise they are getting. Just like we have earned the negativity that comes with looking un-Alabama like in a few games. To me, that is crystal clear.

Your basis is on one team, Ole Miss, that is equivalent to Kentucky. You can keep saying it's clear all you want, but in the end, Georgia has dominated every game they have been in, outside of the Clemson game in which their defense did.
Ole Miss is equivalent to Kentucky is supported by the scoring offense of Ole Miss (#7 nationally) vs Kentucky (#71 nationally.)

7 is equivalent to 71.
From a name prospective one would say our schedule is tougher to this point, but from a ground view they are pretty dang similar. This whole discussion was more to prove Georgia has done more with their schedule with no close games outside of Clemson. You're acting like we have the #1 SOS and they are sitting at #75, and that simply isn't true. I have been Georgia's biggest critic for years, so it's not some old tugging at my heart string story. I hate they could win it all because of all the shit talking that will come with it. But they are earned their ranking and statistically the praise they are getting. Just like we have earned the negativity that comes with looking un-Alabama like in a few games. To me, that is crystal clear.
From a name perspective? No. My point, as well as others in this thread, aren't pointing to name brand recognition but what's happened on the field: the numbers don't compare.

If they are so similar why do we see strength of schedule rankings that show differently? The following is from ESPN but we can pull any number of rankings if you'd like. They'll all reflect the same standing.

Screenshot 2021-10-29 7.08.38 AM.png

What everyone is saying here is "whom as UGA played that had a pulse on offense?" You say Kentucky who hasn't completed a long pass in over 75% of their games?

The average of the offenses that UGA has faced this year ranks 80th out of 130. That's the point.

We don't know what UGA will do when they face a good offense.

Ole Miss is equivalent to Kentucky is supported by the scoring offense of Ole Miss (#7 nationally) vs Kentucky (#71 nationally.)

7 is equivalent to 71.

From a name perspective? No. My point, as well as others in this thread, aren't pointing to name brand recognition but what's happened on the field: the numbers don't compare.

-This used to be our conversation angle when folks would say that Alabama hasn't really faced a good offensive team. All the while failing to address the fact that Alabama's opponents offensive numbers are low because they played against Alabama's defense.

That is definitely the case here with UGA. Their opponents offensive numbers are low because UGA's domination skewed their data. This is statistics 101. This rings true too against quality of offenses we've played. Our opponents numbers are askew too because the got plenty of yards on us too. I'd like to see the data of everyone's opponents without factoring in their game.

-The SOS really has become a joke, especially when factoring in preseason polls. All though I do think we have played better competition but that's not based on the rankings.

Why is it so difficult to give credit due to Jawja? We can compare stats that suit our confirmation bias all day long. And I get how, as a fan, it is really difficult to concede another team as better at this point. That's the whole challenge of fan(atics).

At the end of the day Jawja hasn't lost a game, hasn't been close in a game, they haven't played a meaningful away game (and will not) & doesn't make stupid mistakes. They have dominated their opponents. When you take the stats of penalties, lost yardage, & blown assignments of us to them... it won't be pretty. They haven't lost a game to somebody they should have been able to go in dry. We have. They have been playing championship ball. We haven't. We can get there but we have not. We didn't even play a clean game against Mercer. That point alone overrides the competition argument like a clanging gong.

It will be interesting to see how we do against similar competition. AU, AR, & FL. Hopefully our players can follow the teaching of CNS & get better day by day to have a chance. But while we are trying to get better at playing championship ball, Jawja already is & they're just building their depth & minimizing injuries. I would love to be wrong & eat tons of crow.

Vegas thinks Miss St is basically equivalent to Kentucky. Let's see how that plays out. If Kentucky dominates, it props them up more.

UGA hasn't faced anyone like OM. They haven't faced an offense like Tennessee. I don't think Tennessee threatens to beat UGA, but they'll get yards.

UGA hasn't faced a roster like A&M, nor played at an away game like College Station. A&M was Top 5 coming into the year, and if they'd have prepared for Arkansas or Miss St instead of putting all their eggs in the Alabama basket, they could have just one loss right now (or zero) and they would be squarely in the mix as well.

Vegas thinks Miss St is basically equivalent to Kentucky. Let's see how that plays out. If Kentucky dominates, it props them up more.

UGA hasn't faced anyone like OM. They haven't faced an offense like Tennessee. I don't think Tennessee threatens to beat UGA, but they'll get yards.

UGA hasn't faced a roster like A&M, nor played at an away game like College Station. A&M was Top 5 coming into the year, and if they'd have prepared for Arkansas or Miss St instead of putting all their eggs in the Alabama basket, they could have just one loss right now (or zero) and they would be squarely in the mix as well.

We could say the same about Clemson. Clemson has a team full of stars. Dabo just can't get past #5 at quarterback. Clemson's defense is still stout. JT Daniels isn't as good as the media predicted, but Georgia's defense does more than enough to make up for him. While I'm not acting like Stetson Bennett is an All-SEC guy, he's playing very well and better than he was last season. no matter what his ceiling is, growth is good for any player. I'd ride him to the Playoffs if I was Curbee. I'm standing by my opinion that Georgia at this juncture is a better team than us. We can debate more after the season plays out or more after this game this weekend when there is a common opponent, but we haven't played a defense as good as Clemson's, and they haven't played an offense as good as Ole Miss'. We will then be able to compare Florida, Tennessee, and Auburn by year's end. My question based on everything, is where are Georgia's weaknesses? Now I ask the same question about us, where are our weaknesses?

And in case there are any questions, I hope Georgia loses this weekend. I absolutely hate Florida, but would love to see them win or even keep it close this weekend. I hope they lose the rest of their games. I don't want them to see any success, mainly Kurbee, but I don't want to see them do well. I hope we go to the SEC Championship and smoke Georgia by 50 points. I will gladly eat the crow,

-This used to be our conversation angle when folks would say that Alabama hasn't really faced a good offensive team. All the while failing to address the fact that Alabama's opponents offensive numbers are low because they played against Alabama's defense.

That is definitely the case here with UGA. Their opponents offensive numbers are low because UGA's domination skewed their data. This is statistics 101. This rings true too against quality of offenses we've played. Our opponents numbers are askew too because the got plenty of yards on us too. I'd like to see the data of everyone's opponents without factoring in their game.

-The SOS really has become a joke, especially when factoring in preseason polls. All though I do think we have played better competition but that's not based on the rankings.

Why is it so difficult to give credit due to Jawja? We can compare stats that suit our confirmation bias all day long. And I get how, as a fan, it is really difficult to concede another team as better at this point. That's the whole challenge of fan(atics).

At the end of the day Jawja hasn't lost a game, hasn't been close in a game, they haven't played a meaningful away game (and will not) & doesn't make stupid mistakes. They have dominated their opponents. When you take the stats of penalties, lost yardage, & blown assignments of us to them... it won't be pretty. They haven't lost a game to somebody they should have been able to go in dry. We have. They have been playing championship ball. We haven't. We can get there but we have not. We didn't even play a clean game against Mercer. That point alone overrides the competition argument like a clanging gong.

It will be interesting to see how we do against similar competition. AU, AR, & FL. Hopefully our players can follow the teaching of CNS & get better day by day to have a chance. But while we are trying to get better at playing championship ball, Jawja already is & they're just building their depth & minimizing injuries. I would love to be wrong & eat tons of crow.

I'll let you speak for me here, ha ha. Pretty much my notion as well, I just didn't articulate it as good as you did. We have that ability, we do, and I have been saying that as well this whole time. I just don't see the same weaknesses with Georgia right now. Will they blow their load in the regular season and get smoked in the postseason? It is possible. Just like the Braves, you gotta get hot at the right time and ride that. If we can get hot soon, and carry it into the backend of the season, we definitely have a shot. Talent wise, we can't be matched from top of the roster to the bottom. Extracting that talent has been the difference so far in the season between Alabama and Georgia. Alabama is playing to half their ability while Georgia is playing to the top of theirs. Only time will tell if both teams can get better/maintain that level.

Last edited:
We could say the same about Clemson. Clemson has a team full of stars. Dabo just can't get past #5 at quarterback. Clemson's defense is still stout. JT Daniels isn't as good as the media predicted, but Georgia's defense does more than enough to make up for him. While I'm not acting like Stetson Bennett is an All-SEC guy, he's playing very well and better than he was last season. no matter what his ceiling is, growth is good for any player. I'd ride him to the Playoffs if I was Curbee. I'm standing by my opinion that Georgia at this juncture is a better team than us. We can debate more after the season plays out or more after this game this weekend when there is a common opponent, but we haven't played a defense as good as Clemson's, and they haven't played an offense as good as Ole Miss'. We will then be able to compare Florida, Tennessee, and Auburn by year's end. My question based on everything, is where are Georgia's weaknesses? Now I ask the same question about us, where are our weaknesses?

And in case there are any questions, I hope Georgia loses this weekend. I absolutely hate Florida, but would love to see them win or even keep it close this weekend. I hope they lose the rest of their games. I don't want them to see any success, mainly Kurbee, but I don't want to see them do well. I hope we go to the SEC Championship and smoke Georgia by 50 points. I will gladly eat the crow,

I think UGA is #1 and deserves to be, obviously.

I don't agree Clemson is anything close to A&M. Both have talent, but A&M has actually done things this season. Clemson is a tire fire.

We'll know more after UGA-Florida. If UGA dominates, they strengthen their case. I expect them to win handily. I also recall that last year with an elite D, Florida clowned Kirby and his great D to the tune of 44 points and 570 total yards. So maybe Florida can scheme some things up.

I also agree Bennett has looked better for UGA than JT. We'll see how that plays out.

Back
Top Bottom