| FTBL Did Northwestern Pat Fitzgerald Nail Down the College Football Attendance Problem?

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Attendance decline is a common conversation every offseason for college football fans. Northwestern head coach Pat Fitzgerald has an interesting theory behind the decline, and his statements quickly went viral out of Big Ten Media Days in Chicago.

With some level of irony based on how many people likely watched the commentary from their phones, Fitzgerald’s two-minute-long social commentary had millions of views by Monday.

Don’t have time to watch? Here is what Fitzgerald said during his podium session in Chicago.

“I think phones, I think technology has been the decline in attendance, No. 1,” Fitzgerald said. “Watching young people today live like this (with their heads in their phones) instead of like that (with their eyes upfront). Stacey and I were out on a date last night. There were two groups of couples sitting next to two us. I’m like ‘oh my gosh I’m old.’ Not one of the two couples were talking to each other. They were all on their phones. It just drove me up the wall. I literally wanted to be like a dad. Give me your phone. Talk to each other. This is pathetic. It was really pathetic.

“It’s changed the way a lot of young people and younger fans intake, it’s all through technology. You watch a concert and everybody is holding the phone up. Listen, watch, take it in, create a memory. They don’t come back and watch the videos. They just want to post it on their social media, which is pathetic. It creates a society of, ‘look at me, isn’t my life great.’ … I think it’s a big cause. I think it’s the root cause, No. 1. I think the fans that grew up tailgating and going to the stadiums four hours before games are getting a little older. I think the next, and younger, generations of fans are more reliant on technology. They’d rather have 12 TVs set up in their TV-watching cave than go to a game and experience the pageantry and the tailgating. I think it’s definitely things we need to look at as a brand, college football, on how we can create that type of environment and experiences while respecting our communities and our neighborhoods to make sure the experiences that are happening don’t impede on those neighborhoods.”

In conclusion, he ain't wrong. But you can't help but think it's not just that simple.

It's not that simple, he sounds outta touch with reality to me and mixing topics.

VALUE is the simple answer in my opinion. Spend $500/game for a family of 4 or watch the game at home with family/friends.

With his fancy Northwestern degree, you'd think he'd be able to connect some of the dots here. The group he's bad mouthing is going to be his base in the very near future. Telling them they're all pathetic might not be a smart move.

***There is football saturation.....period....
Even for real hardcore football fan.....there is a lot...an excess...
But also builds interest....so there is some trade off...
***of course HD large tv....so easy to sit back and enjoy
***cost...of those tickets...yicks
***even Bama having some trouble getting all seats full....schedule and seats quality..even opponents like TN dont really excite people much....
***dont see how cell phones are problem....actually can go to game and keep up with allthose things that are so important..to some..so you dont have to be away from that world...
.... cant imagine what some programs have to deal with...

THere are more impediments to attending a game than there used to be. Technology is one for sure with the under 40 crowd. The number of people attending and difficulty getting into, and particularly, out of town in Tuscaloosa is a deterrent for me. The biggest factor for us is having small children. as it is either a problem for naptimes with little ones and generally 4 hours in the sun and wrangling them is a bit much or a night game is too late to deal with. without a babysitter, it ain't happening. I miss going to the games... but not enough to deal with it again at this stage of life.

so what I'm saying is, we need to get some childcare set up below the stadium... you know.. bouncy houses, cookies, popcorn and juice.

***There is football saturation.....period....
Even for real hardcore football fan.....there is a lot...an excess...
But also builds interest....so there is some trade off...
***of course HD large tv....so easy to sit back and enjoy
***cost...of those tickets...yicks
***even Bama having some trouble getting all seats full....schedule and seats quality..even opponents like TN dont really excite people much....
***dont see how cell phones are problem....actually can go to game and keep up with allthose things that are so important..to some..so you dont have to be away from that world...
.... cant imagine what some programs have to deal with...

Some of these conferences are starting to show a lot of wear and tear with overall attendance. It's interesting that the data is showing that smartphones don't nearly discourage the average football fan in the SEC as some of the others.

In 2018, the average attendance for a college football game was 41,000 and some change...but in the SEC it's right at 77,000. Still, things are obviously headed south (no pun intended).

College football attendance SEC vs. America -

SEC Attendance Rankings by School (according to College Football News)
Texas A&M. 101,861 99.15%

Alabama. 101,550 99.73%

LSU. 100,8561 98.57%

Tennessee. 98,013 95.67%

Georgia. 92,746 100.00%

Florida. 86,557 97.75%

Auburn. 86,549 98.97%

South Carolina. 77,867 97.03%

Arkansas. 65,588 91.10%

Ole Miss. 60, 250 94.09%

Miss. State. 59,477 96.97%

Missouri. 57,211 95.09%

Kentucky. 56,819 93.15%

Vanderbilt. 31,404 77.83%

SEC average: 76,909
Kansas-vs-Baylor.jpg

Vs. the Big 12
By comparison, the Big 12 has averaged just over 57,000 fans per game over the past five years. Unbelievably, the SEC’s 12-ranked school, Missouri would rank third in the Big 12, while Vanderbilt, the SEC’s last-ranked school still averaged more fans that the Big 12’s 10-ranked school, Kansas by 5,000 per game.

Vs. the Big 10

Though the Big 10 boasts some of the larger stadiums in America such as the Big House at Michigan, the Horseshoe at Ohio State and Happy Valley at Penn St, the conference averaged just over 57,000 fans over the past five years.
Vs. the ACC

Stadium capacities are, as a whole, much smaller in the ACC and it shows in attendance figures. Throughout the 14-team league, an average of 48, 862 have attended games since 2013.

Vs. the Pac 12
The numbers continue to dip as we head out west. The Pac 12 has averaged just over 46,000 fans per game throughout this 5-year stretch which includes smaller crowds at the Rose Bowl and L.A. Coliseum.
Visit GASNsports.com for coverage of SEC Media Days

I have zero issues with what he is saying. Whether or not he is considered "old" or "out of style", phones are killing society. Social media is the root of it all. Everyone wants to be the next YouTube star, the next Instagram Influencer, the next Facebook Live star, the next to get their fifteen minutes of fame, what's trending on Twitter, and yet they are missing out on their lives through a lens. Wonder why people cannot communicate? Because they don't anymore, unless it's through bullshit shorthand in a text or e-mail. Saving ten seconds by using shorthand instead of picking up the phone to make a call or simply walking over to someone's desk a time here or there to have the conversation is not taking away from the time you think you're wasting. I have news for everyone, you waste a lot more time during your day fiddling on your phone that you're willing to admit. No one works that hard to where a conversation is going to ruin their time schedule. ANYWAYS, I agree with what he is saying and feel you can attribute some of this to technology. Doesn't matter if he's putting down the future @planomateo because it's the honest truth.

I also think part of the problem is that schools are refusing to come down with their pricing and offering zero incentive. I just received an e-mail last week about the Endzone Club, or whatever it's called, having tickets available, but yet they were still $500 a piece, same as they were to the people that get them every year as part of their season tickets. So instead of getting those gone and offering an incentive pricing because demand is not there, they continue to try and milk you for everything they can. Nevermind the fact that if they came down to $250-$350 per ticket I most likely purchase and become an annual customer, they would rather sell two more at $500 than twenty at $250. Same goes for the Ticket Packages. Still selling tickets at face value for seats NOBODY wants, and that nobody will buy, but yet they will call it a sell-out. It may just be me, but I feel schools like Alabama have egos so massive that they refuse to tip to these trends and will just continue to charge the wealthy donors a few more dollars each year to make up for the short fall. It would just be better to admit where the trend is heading, quit falsifying numbers, and work to create a more valuable game day that will allow you to bring back those that left the fold due to television and budget reasons. I also think Alabama likes to brag that they have a waiting list 30,000 strong, yet are offering these ticket packages that are not renewable due to potential future demand. Just garbage if you ask me.

I have zero issues with what he is saying. Whether or not he is considered "old" or "out of style", phones are killing society. Social media is the root of it all. Everyone wants to be the next YouTube star, the next Instagram Influencer, the next Facebook Live star, the next to get their fifteen minutes of fame, what's trending on Twitter, and yet they are missing out on their lives through a lens. Wonder why people cannot communicate? Because they don't anymore, unless it's through bullshit shorthand in a text or e-mail. Saving ten seconds by using shorthand instead of picking up the phone to make a call or simply walking over to someone's desk a time here or there to have the conversation is not taking away from the time you think you're wasting. I have news for everyone, you waste a lot more time during your day fiddling on your phone that you're willing to admit. No one works that hard to where a conversation is going to ruin their time schedule. ANYWAYS, I agree with what he is saying and feel you can attribute some of this to technology. Doesn't matter if he's putting down the future @planomateo because it's the honest truth.

I also think part of the problem is that schools are refusing to come down with their pricing and offering zero incentive. I just received an e-mail last week about the Endzone Club, or whatever it's called, having tickets available, but yet they were still $500 a piece, same as they were to the people that get them every year as part of their season tickets. So instead of getting those gone and offering an incentive pricing because demand is not there, they continue to try and milk you for everything they can. Nevermind the fact that if they came down to $250-$350 per ticket I most likely purchase and become an annual customer, they would rather sell two more at $500 than twenty at $250. Same goes for the Ticket Packages. Still selling tickets at face value for seats NOBODY wants, and that nobody will buy, but yet they will call it a sell-out. It may just be me, but I feel schools like Alabama have egos so massive that they refuse to tip to these trends and will just continue to charge the wealthy donors a few more dollars each year to make up for the short fall. It would just be better to admit where the trend is heading, quit falsifying numbers, and work to create a more valuable game day that will allow you to bring back those that left the fold due to television and budget reasons. I also think Alabama likes to brag that they have a waiting list 30,000 strong, yet are offering these ticket packages that are not renewable due to potential future demand. Just garbage if you ask me.

It's nice that someone in your generation sees what's coming and is honest about it. I also think Fitzgerald was offering some social commentary on life. It's easy to put what he said to the social aspect of football. TV and other technology rightly belong apart of the same discussion as far as distractions and apathy are concerned.

As far as smartphones are also concerned I truly believe at this point, and the tech phenomenon is traveling at the speed of light, smartphones will end up being the greatest contradiction in technology.

It's pushing anti-social, self-absorbed tendencies to new heights. In reality, maybe these things should come with a consumer warning for families, like on the pack of cigarettes. "Beware, this smartphone/computer can be harmful to you and every family member's social health and family behavior pattern that inhales.

Omg @BamaFan334 you are questioning the sacred horse of Alabama administration..... i did once and was crucified severely ....
...i dont know about the # on waiting list....
...i know a lot of teams including sec opponents are turning back seats....lots of seats...some of these being offered...include tickets for lsu....
Does that mean the tiger faitful arent coming to ttown....
...those sky high seats....in new south ez ...really! As they are in Aggieville or at lsu are really up there.... just not quality for $$$....

It's nice that someone in your generation sees what's coming and is honest about it. I also think Fitzgerald was offering some social commentary on life. It's easy to put what he said to the social aspect of football. TV and other technology rightly belong apart of the same discussion as far as distractions and apathy are concerned.

As far as smartphones are also concerned I truly believe at this point, and the tech phenomenon is traveling at the speed of light, smartphones will end up being the greatest contradiction in technology.

It's pushing anti-social, self-absorbed tendencies to new heights. In reality, maybe these things should come with a consumer warning for families, like on the pack of cigarettes. "Beware, this smartphone/computer can be harmful to you and every family member's social health and family behavior pattern that inhales.
@TUSKtimes ...gotta tell u about a conversation i had with my mom a while back...
We were talking about the cell phone phenomenon....
She said.....paraphrasing...."I remember when people said....older people...with home air conditioning and tv....you will never get the kids to go outside and play ( we lived in central alabama) in the summer...."...lol
But she called home air conditioning the greatest invention in modern day ( her modern day).....
can mobile world access thru cell phones overtake A/C? Or even tv? This current generation..it may be more important!

I’m taking my family (wife, myself, and 4 kids) to the New Mexico State game after someone posted on here the tickets were $25 each. With a family of 6, I just can’t justify the cost of a big game if it includes tickets, hotel, and food. That’s a mini weekend vacation and dollars better spent elsewhere. Social media, phones, etc may be a contributing factor, but for me cost is the real culprit.

@TUSKtimes ...gotta tell u about a conversation i had with my mom a while back...
We were talking about the cell phone phenomenon....
She said.....paraphrasing...."I remember when people said....older people...with home air conditioning and tv....you will never get the kids to go outside and play ( we lived in central alabama) in the summer...."...lol
But she called home air conditioning the greatest invention in modern day ( her modern day).....
can mobile world access thru cell phones overtake A/C? Or even tv? This current generation..it may be more important!

I'm watching young folks who have 50" and 60" TVs in their house choosing to watch their favorite shows and movies on their SP. They are sleeping with these things constantly going off beside their beds with text and email and the like. How are these folks getting any sleep? If they are staring at their family in a room and having face to face conversation they will immediately stop talking or listening and look straight into their phone for whatever reason has made the latest beep notification. Highly addictive? I honestly believe heroin has nothing on this tech toy.

I'm watching young folks who have 50" and 60" TVs in their house choosing to watch their favorite shows and movies on their SP. They are sleeping with these things constantly going off beside their beds with text and email and the like. How are these folks getting any sleep? If they are staring at their family in a room and having face to face conversation they will immediately stop talking or listening and look straight into their phone for whatever reason has made the latest beep notification. Highly addictive? I honestly believe heroin has nothing on this tech toy.

I could not agree more with you here. My phone is on silent, but the lights brighten up the room in the middle of the night and bother my wife and I both, so I turned off all notifications between 11-7. We also make sure there are zero phones, tablets, anything near us when we eat family dinners every night. We have seen the impact a tablet has on our kids at 8, 6, and 4 years old. It's worse than giving them a Coke five minutes before bedtime, I kid you not. You would think kids are high on something with as addictive as it gets. We have resulted to giving them two hours a day, during the Summer break, of TV, one hour in the morning and one in the evening. In efforts of making sure they understand how to use technology we allow them thirty minutes each on the iPad. All of this will change once school starts back, but we may be laughed at, scoffed at, or berated as hateful parents by outsiders, but I'll take my way of parenting over the way a majority of households work these days and would gladly have a face to face conversation with anyone that has a problem with my parenting and not allowing my kids to get sucked into that world. You are correct, worse than heroin.

I could not agree more with you here. My phone is on silent, but the lights brighten up the room in the middle of the night and bother my wife and I both, so I turned off all notifications between 11-7. We also make sure there are zero phones, tablets, anything near us when we eat family dinners every night. We have seen the impact a tablet has on our kids at 8, 6, and 4 years old. It's worse than giving them a Coke five minutes before bedtime, I kid you not. You would think kids are high on something with as addictive as it gets. We have resulted to giving them two hours a day, during the Summer break, of TV, one hour in the morning and one in the evening. In efforts of making sure they understand how to use technology we allow them thirty minutes each on the iPad. All of this will change once school starts back, but we may be laughed at, scoffed at, or berated as hateful parents by outsiders, but I'll take my way of parenting over the way a majority of households work these days and would gladly have a face to face conversation with anyone that has a problem with my parenting and not allowing my kids to get sucked into that world. You are correct, worse than heroin.

It takes a lot of courage and common sense to see what's coming and still do what's best for your family in the long run. You made my day just hearing that you're taking a very unpopular position and being willing to be the voice of reason with your family. If kids aren't carrying SPs to elementary school they are ostracized by the pack, so I know you have a lot of mentoring to do to keep your kids balanced and socially healthy as time goes by. Peer pressure on these kids and you as parents is something else.

It takes a lot of courage and common sense to see what's coming and still do what's best for your family in the long run. You made my day just hearing that you're taking a very unpopular position and being willing to be the voice of reason with your family. If kids aren't carrying SPs to elementary school they are ostracized by the pack, so I know you have a lot of mentoring to do to keep your kids balanced and socially healthy as time goes by. Peer pressure on these kids and you as parents is something else.

It's funny you say that, because my eight year old keeps asking when she can have a phone (because some friends have one) and I simply reply, "when you're sixteen". I know it takes the excitement away from her, but we have simply used it to explain what else we can do with that monthly phone bill money and how she has zero need for that. We also explain we're not so and so's parents. It's funny how we say "well we didn't get one till we were driving and needed one in case we were in an emergency", something we never though we would say like our parents did. It's tough and only the beginning, but we are going to fight the good fight.

IMO, it all comes down to customer experience and the value it has. Think about what the average fan has to pay: ticket ($50+) + parking ($20+) + gas (~$10+) + food (inside or out of the stadium ~$20+) + time commitment. Most of these costs are multiplied if you take a friend/date/family with you. When they go into the stadium, WIFI access is limited so checking on other scores is spotty and communicating with friends in or out of the stadium is hit or miss to "share" the experience. Compare that to sitting at home in comfort with the ability to check multiple games live with access to food, drink, bathroom within seconds. Schools need to find a way to improve on the experience if they want to get and keep fans in the stadium.

You're saying it's value. That's the true reason. Let's see him speak that honest truth.

Pat is being master of the obvious on how people interact these days. Not really sure why you're giving him credit for this. Anyone with half a brain can see the pros/cons of mobile devices and the dependency that the vast majority of people under the age of 50 has with mobile devices :)

Point is, phones aren't the reason for the decline in attendance as he's suggesting. I doubt there is any data that backs up the point he's poorly making.

“I think phones, I think technology has been the decline in attendance, No. 1,”

I fully anticipate my commitment to watching college football in the near future changing. I am looking forward to getting over to Washington State for a football game this season. Gonna have to be a big one to get me to make the drive.

Hope I'm wrong, but my priorities are changing.

Back
Top Bottom