| FTBL Alum not happy with how Bama’s losing and they’re not backing down.

I don't give a @#$##@$@# It's a battle of older v.s. younger Generation... how they see things from their perspective. not everyone is the same. This whole thing going on social media is hurting the Bama program as whole all because of complaining. You can best believe Saban and others have reached out to them in recent weeks... I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't hear from them anymore after this week.

You pretty much summed up today's society. Zero respect for the older generation that laid the foundation and tracks for the newer generation to reap the benefits, and the newer generation isn't thankful/grateful and only wants to combat everyone.

Old Guard - played for a free education, room and board, and the opportunity to play professionally and make millions. Sat out a year if they wanted to transfer schools when they did not get what they wanted from their committed school. Loved their university, hated rivals, and built college football to something that could never be matched, even by the NFL with all their money. Win at all costs and respect the program and administration.

New Generation - playing for whomever pays them the most, wants everything for free plus more, broadcasts everything on social media, wants to leave school and play immediately elsewhere when they don't get what they want from their initial commitment. Coddled due to ability to leave school with no consequences. Free reign to do whatever they want with zero consequences, but gets upset if they aren't treated like kings. Friends with players, no hate for rivals, and all about the money and their brand. Win or lose, who cares, as long as I get paid. Few good apples that still do it right, but a majority of them are more concerned about posting social media, likes, and revenue they can create for their brand.

Understand these are very general comments. Of course not 100% of the old guard fell into these categories, just like not everyone in the new generation does. But college football is a shell of it's former self, and a lot of that is because of money, but even more of it is the attitude of the newer generation that pitches fits until they get what they want, rules are changed, and the landscape forever altered. We see amazing plays, but the quality of football has gone downhill. Respect is gone, although every one of them demands it be given to them when they do not forward it to others. It says something when you see almost on a daily basis where a coach explains frustration with the ways things currently are. Even Saban said he was glad to see all the transfers go, except one. I would like to think he meant trey Sanders, but it speaks to the issues it creates. issues that haven't always been a part of college football. So yes, the older generation has the right to talk about the play on the field. They've lived it, played by the rules, dominated, and left an empire to the current teams. Undisciplined, social media, talking the talk, and underperforming, yet it's not ok to say a word because it may hurt their feelings. Please. These aren't kids anymore, even at 18 as they have guys their same age dying in war. They need to grow up is all and not have so many feelings about anything and everything. otherwise the world will chew them up and spit them out.

I didn’t mean you specifically, bad wording.

You’re right there is a massive difference ex players have put their blood, sweat, etc into the team, so if anybody has a right to complain it’s them
Every single person has the right to criticize or complain about anything they want to. My point was fans whining on a message board has zero affect. Former players criticizing current players can have a big affect. If it's constructive criticism it can possibly be helpful, but saying shit like "these guys are soft" and stuff like that is helpful in no way.

Every single person has the right to criticize or complain about anything they want to. My point was fans whining on a message board has zero affect. Former players criticizing current players can have a big affect. If it's constructive criticism it can possibly be helpful, but saying shit like "these guys are soft" and stuff like that is helpful in no way.
Actually it has effect... Fan don't really realize that but players see what fan posts .. there are players on team that read secrant, tidefans, and others....

Dude, chill.

SOMEBODY needed to call these entitled kids out.

Glad it's former players.

In the long run, I'd like to see it picked up a notch. These former players that set the standard need to get with CNS and go speak to these guys.

Dude, chill.

SOMEBODY needed to call these entitled kids out.

Glad it's former players.

In the long run, I'd like to see it picked up a notch. These former players that set the standard need to get with CNS and go speak to these guys.
There is disconnect between older and younger player and again if older players got issues, should've went to the source instead of putting it on social media

Somebody has to tell them. Them dudes built this thing, they’re responsible for the “Built by Bama”. If the new dudes don’t like it then change it

I say that to my players all the time when they're soft. It makes a positive difference more than a negative one. If you fold due to that as a man, you deserve hurt feelings. Ifyou gave 100% you have nothing to worry about. For instance, Caleb Downs got beat a couple times deep, but you could tell he was going 100% even when he was beat and he still got support from fans and such. Major difference.

So, let me see if I get this right- alumni that built this can’t criticize, but fans can talk all the shit and get on a message board and scream the sky is falling?

There’s been several of y’all say “we’ve lost what made us what we were” or some damn version of it and the dudes the built this damn thing can’t criticize? Man gtfo with that nonsense.
In my opinion, it makes a huge difference who’s doing the criticizing. And fans should be the ones doing it … as they’re anonymous. Being critiqued by some unknown persons gets the point across without it becoming personal. These former players aren’t doing it anonymously so it’s much easier for the current players to take it personally. Now, Saban uses the fans criticisms like a maestro but I’m not sure if he likes his former players throwing barbs at his current players. I could be wrong … he might use them too just in different ways. Personally, I don’t see this year’s team being any different than the teams of four of the past five seasons. One thing’s certain, something’s very different … excessive penalties, dropped passes, blown coverages, missed tackles. missed assignments on the o-line, lack of creating turnovers on defense while giving away too many on offense. Too much talk about what they’re going to do without backing it up on the field. Too often the offense and defense look discombobulated. They don’t play angry and a lack of alphas has allowed the poor performances to build upon one another. Prior to 2019, Bama teams owned the fourth quarter. By the time the 4th quarter started Bama had worn their opponents down and within a few drives they would put them into submission. That’s no longer the case and last week the exact opposite occurred.

I can offer all of those criticisms and the players will typically dismiss them by saying that guy doesn’t have a clue what we’ve been through because he’s not walked in our shoes. They can’t so easily dismiss former player’s criticisms because they have walked in their shoes.

"these guys are soft" and stuff like that is helpful in no way.
If you are a competitor and not soft it should piss you off and motivate you to fix the issue. Create a chip on your shoulder. Otherwise the ex-players are right. If they respond the right way it is helpful in my opinion.

Just saying up front this is coming from an old dude. I'll give you two examples to ponder. First, the local HS team here. I didn't go to school there so I have no alumni type loyalty. In the past tenish years, they have always been considered tough and able to punch above their weight. Suddenly, this year, they suck! Badly. It's not just that they lose, it's how they lose. They play soft with no real heart. However, there are momma's all over town basically coming at anyone who speaks ill of these kids, in a rage. I never had that. If we ever sucked or played soft, we just had to wear that shit or get better. It makes you find what you are made of inside.
Second, a military note. When I was in, it meant more to hear from a former or older military guy if standards were getting softer or we looked ill prepared. I didn't give a shit what someone who never served thought, unless we were embarrassing our flag. Even then, it meant less. The "been there done that" guys opinion just meant more and made me want to get better.
Now, we find offense with everything. I guess people have the right to be offended but there is no expectation that anyone should give a great goddamn about how offended you are. I raised two boys and have tried hard to raise them as men. I told my oldest something once, that he said offended him. I told him that nobody gives a shit! You better be able to put narcissism aside and understand that your feelings are not the most important thing. Grow some balls and get better or change your circumstances. Primarily, be a damn man and own it! Rant over. For now.

Back
Top Bottom