| FTBL Alum not happy with how Bama’s losing and they’re not backing down.

Just saying up front this is coming from an old dude. I'll give you two examples to ponder. First, the local HS team here. I didn't go to school there so I have no alumni type loyalty. In the past tenish years, they have always been considered tough and able to punch above their weight. Suddenly, this year, they suck! Badly. It's not just that they lose, it's how they lose. They play soft with no real heart. However, there are momma's all over town basically coming at anyone who speaks ill of these kids, in a rage. I never had that. If we ever sucked or played soft, we just had to wear that shit or get better. It makes you find what you are made of inside.
Second, a military note. When I was in, it meant more to hear from a former or older military guy if standards were getting softer or we looked ill prepared. I didn't give a shit what someone who never served thought, unless we were embarrassing our flag. Even then, it meant less. The "been there done that" guys opinion just meant more and made me want to get better.
Now, we find offense with everything. I guess people have the right to be offended but there is no expectation that anyone should give a great goddamn about how offended you are. I raised two boys and have tried hard to raise them as men. I told my oldest something once, that he said offended him. I told him that nobody gives a shit! You better be able to put narcissism aside and understand that your feelings are not the most important thing. Grow some balls and get better or change your circumstances. Primarily, be a damn man and own it! Rant over. For now.
Fully agree and anyone that ever achieves excellence is challenged in a way that pushes them to find out what they are made of. Excellent post.

In my opinion, it makes a huge difference who’s doing the criticizing. And fans should be the ones doing it … as they’re anonymous. Being critiqued by some unknown persons gets the point across without it becoming personal. These former players aren’t doing it anonymously so it’s much easier for the current players to take it personally. Now, Saban uses the fans criticisms like a maestro but I’m not sure if he likes his former players throwing barbs at his current players. I could be wrong … he might use them too just in different ways. Personally, I don’t see this year’s team being any different than the teams of four of the past five seasons. One thing’s certain, something’s very different … excessive penalties, dropped passes, blown coverages, missed tackles. missed assignments on the o-line, lack of creating turnovers on defense while giving away too many on offense. Too much talk about what they’re going to do without backing it up on the field. Too often the offense and defense look discombobulated. They don’t play angry and a lack of alphas has allowed the poor performances to build upon one another. Prior to 2019, Bama teams owned the fourth quarter. By the time the 4th quarter started Bama had worn their opponents down and within a few drives they would put them into submission. That’s no longer the case and last week the exact opposite occurred.

I can offer all of those criticisms and the players will typically dismiss them by saying that guy doesn’t have a clue what we’ve been through because he’s not walked in our shoes. They can’t so easily dismiss former player’s criticisms because they have walked in their shoes.
THIS, FTW

WTF IS THIS, DOC?

We're "bonding" or agreeing today?

I LOVE THAT SHOW! Arguably my favorite all time.

Hell, I used that very expression in a GIF with a coworker just yesterday.

1b21e22c-176c-4541-9ed5-35dd485c7f35_text.gif

Not to derail the thread, but what's the easiest way to get players, who have no interest in attending college, into the NFL or a league that properly compensates them for their talents? Is their any incentive for the bosses in charge to enable this so we can have rosters of more passionate players again?

From a fan perspective, seeing some things happen that have not happened since the Shula days is very disconcerting. Worst home loss since Mike lost to Lou in 2004. Earliest we have dropped a game since 2003...which ironically, was also at home against a just ok Big 12 team. Granted, 2023 Texas may be better than 2003 Oklahoma. But still, getting schooled at home by a Big 12 team who SEC fans as a whole taunted and said would falter once they joined the league....OUCH. Never thought I'd see that in Saban's time. I get the angst from the former players. Ingram and Norwood's arrival wasn't too terribly far removed from the doldrums of the Shula days. So they were part of not only building the machine, but building it on the ashes and ruins of the time before them.

Former players have every right to criticize as do fans. If current players, future players, coaches, et al, let what they say on social media affect them??!?! They’re mentally weak and shouldn’t be involved with any program much less this one. Out of this world that these guys have the world at their fingertips and a literal fortune in scholarship $$$, and they can’t get their collective feelings hurt! Give me a break!

Prior to 2019, Bama teams owned the fourth quarter. By the time the 4th quarter started Bama had worn their opponents down and within a few drives they would put them into submission. That’s no longer the case and last week the exact opposite occurred.
@Brandon Van de Graaff has brought up the attitude that he feels Cochrane developed with the team. Want to guess when the last year Cochrane was at Bama?

@TerryP has stated he doesn't feel like it is necessarily the case, (with Cochran's exit) but something is amiss amongst us having the swagger of old.

You don't have to pay attention, but he ain't lying. That's all anyone plays for anymore. College football as a whole looks down this year as far as level of play. No one looks good, let's be honest. Not because they're terrible athletes or there are only terrible coaches. Something is causing it.
Well

Being 18-19-20 and seeing the $$$$$$$.
Human nature overtakes a lot of things

Well

Being 18-19-20 and seeing the $$$$$$$.
Human nature overtakes a lot of things

Yes, no doubt. Money in your pocket before actually proving yourself and earning it allows complacency to run through you. Hard to say they haven't earned something for their efforts and talent up to this point, but a scholarship sounds like enough to me until they truly do something. I could go all day on it, but won't.

Back
Top Bottom