| MBB/WBB Coaching Carousel: Calipari to take over the Arkansas program. [Updated with Oats statement]

I guess to me, I'd rather pursue Chris Beard or even give a guy like Bucky at Samford a look. Why no one ever goes after Brian Dutcher at SDSU still baffles me after the success he's had. To me the move from Musselman to Cal isn't much of an upgrade.

Musselman wasn't a bad coach either. His teams definitely weren't great in conference, but he had success in March.
Prior to this season, he had two Elite 8 and a S16 where he beat Kansas. Cal during that same time frame? One tournament win, two round 64 losses, and missed the tournament in 2020. And he's 65, running an outdated offense.

You're not wrong about Musselman's cry baby attitude. His antics are weird. That said, his teams play tough.

You can't really line up their tenures to when Musselman saw his greatest run, because as a whole Calipari knocks him in the dirt. Imagine doing that with Kirby and Saban the last four or five years. It doesn't tell the tale. I think Arkansas is in a better place. Wasn't it a few months ago they had guys quitting on their coach and major locker room issues? I don't think snagging Calipari was bad, but we also can't assume the guys you named would be willing to come to Arkansas either. Arkansas and Kentucky are probably where they deep down truly wanted to be if I had an opinion on that. Moving on from both coaches and starting fresh with guys that can build a program (assuming Kentucky gets a good coach which one could expect).

You can't really line up their tenures to when Musselman saw his greatest run, because as a whole Calipari knocks him in the dirt. Imagine doing that with Kirby and Saban the last four or five years. It doesn't tell the tale. I think Arkansas is in a better place. Wasn't it a few months ago they had guys quitting on their coach and major locker room issues? I don't think snagging Calipari was bad, but we also can't assume the guys you named would be willing to come to Arkansas either. Arkansas and Kentucky are probably where they deep down truly wanted to be if I had an opinion on that. Moving on from both coaches and starting fresh with guys that can build a program (assuming Kentucky gets a good coach which one could expect).
Cal 10 years ago looks like a top 5 coach in the country. I only compared their recent tenures because Mussleman has arguably been better in the tournament. I just view this past season as more of an anomaly when it comes to how successful Musselman's teams will be.

But at the end of the day, Cal will be able to recruit his ass off and get Arkansas to the tournament regularly. His gameday coaching and adjustments have been suspect since losing to Evansville at home. To me, that was the start of the downfall Cal's tenure at UK.

Ok so heard that there are 2 jobs Oats would consider-Kansas and Kentucky. Not saying he’s leaving but would listen. He would be just another in a long line of KY great coaches but could be greatest UA basketball coach ever.

Seen more than 1 person compare this situation with DeBoer leaving UW for Bama... basically saying Oats wouldn't turn down the bluest of blue bloods. But every situation is different, and some people refuse to take that into account. On that example alone though, DeBoer was keeping his options open with an eye on some other jobs. The UW admin had a contract extension on his desk that he let sit there, unsigned, for a reason. Compare that to Oats... Byrne presents him with a contract as the season winds down and he agrees to it in early March, knowing that jobs like Michigan, Louisville, and even Kentucky were likely to open up. That isn't a very typical action of a guy who would want one of those jobs. Yes, Kentucky can afford the steep buyout... but it's a 2 way street. And they can't buy out his loyalty to Bama if he's not willing to sell it.

Word is starting to leak out on what I view as a pretty major flex by Oats... he's about to secure substantial facility upgrades for his program, something he had previously requested and has been in the early planning stages. The funny thing is, Pearl has been begging auburn for several years, asking for some of the same, and thus far, Pearl hasn't gotten the green light. As far as a new arena, it is still on the table, but this likely pushes it back a little more (while also complimenting it)... but at some point, barring a major change in direction, a new arena will come to fruition as well.

Back
Top Bottom