| FTBL 2023-24 COACHING CAROUSEL UPDATE

Teams
OUT
In
ANALYSIS
TAMU
Jimbo Fisher
Mike Elko
Fisher was fired after posting a 45-25 record in six seasons with the Aggies. He's owed over $77 million to be paid out through 2021.
Michigan St.
Mel Tucker (cause)
Jonathan Smith
Tucker was fired in September amid allegations of sexual harassment. He was 20-14 in four seasons with the Spartans.
Miss State
Zach Arnett
Jeff Lebby
Arnett was fired after posting a 5-6 record with the Bulldogs in his first full season after taking over for the late Mike Leach.
Northwestern
Pat Fitzgerald (cause)
David Braun
Fitzgerald was dismissed after an investigation revealed a culture of hazing within the program. He was 110-101 in 17 seasons leading the Wildcats.
Boise
Andy Avalos
Avalos was let go after 10 games in the 2023 season. He was 22-14 in three seasons leading the Broncos.
SDSU
Brady Hoke (retired)
Sean Lewis
Hoke was 39-30 in two stints with Aztecs (2009-10, 2020-23). He was 104-90 overall as a head coach with stops at Ball State (2003-08), Michigan (2011-14) and as an interim coach at Tennessee (2017).
Syracuse
Dino Barber
Fran Brown
Babers, 62, has been at Syracuse for eight seasons, posting an overall record of 41-55 with two bowl appearances.
New Mexico
Danny Gonzales
Fired
Indiana
Tom Allen
Curt Cignetti
Fired
Duke
Mike Elko
Elko hired at TAMU
UL Monroe
Terry Bowden
Fired, just like his Dad
Houston
Dana Holgorsen
MTSU
Rick Stockstill
UC Davis
Dan Hawkins
Oregon St
Jonathan Smith
Trey Bray
Indiana
Curt Cignetti

Last edited:
Head coaches fired:
Texas A&M fired Jimbo Fisher
Mississippi State fired Zach Arnett
Boise State fired Andy Avalos

OC/DC fired:

USC fired DC Alex Grinch
Arkansas fired OC Dan Eno
Colorado demoted offensive coordinator Sean Lewis
Iowa fired Brian Ferentz, offensive coordinator

Indiana fired Walt Bell, offensive coordinator
Its looking like Pittman is gonna be on this list soon. It's been a crazy couple of days. I didn't expect the Arnett firing so quickly, I'm surprised by the move. Especially given everything that happened prior to his hiring.

Its looking like Pittman is gonna be on this list soon. It's been a crazy couple of days. I didn't expect the Arnett firing so quickly, I'm surprised by the move. Especially given everything that happened prior to his hiring.
So many of the schools just absolutely have delusions of grandeur, Mississippi state? Arkansas? No offense, but a 9 to 10 wins season is really the top of the mountain for those schools.

So many of the schools just absolutely have delusions of grandeur, Mississippi state? Arkansas? No offense, but a 9 to 10 wins season is really the top of the mountain for those schools.
With the right coach Arkansas can be a power. We've seen success from some good coaches in Fayetteville, but a great one? They'd be in ATL occasionally. State? A good coach can get that to a NY6 game. With Leach I could see them having a 7-1 conference record. It's all about scheduling with State. Look at their #1 ranking a few years ago in the CFP rankings.

With the right coach Arkansas can be a power. We've seen success from some good coaches in Fayetteville, but a great one? They'd be in ATL occasionally. State? A good coach can get that to a NY6 game. With Leach I could see them having a 7-1 conference record. It's all about scheduling with State. Look at their #1 ranking a few years ago in the CFP rankings.
Totally agree with that, but a perennial powerhouse neither of those schools will ever be

Wolford is a good coach but IMO, Pittman would be better. The OL has made major improvement since the beginning of the year.
How? What Pittman would be doing is the same thing Coach Wolf is doing. Likely worse based on what we're seeing.

People question why a head coach, like Arnett, would be fired before one year is complete. It was a total change in philosophy.

Now, people also want Coach Wolf replaced when he's changing not on the philosophy, but the physical make up as well? As we're seeing the results as we speak?

You don't know Pittman would be better. Have people forgotten that UGA won their titles when Pittman LEFT!? Have people forgotten UGA hasn't had a running game, like they did under Richt, in several years: including his years?

People are going to knock UGA's schedule and then turn around and want to hire a staff member? Based on success versus ...

It makes no sense to me, Mike. I just don't get the mindset/thought process. ESPECIALLY when we've been telling you guys this is what's been happening for over a year now. 🤷‍♂️

@TerryP
As a former OL, coach of OL, OC and head coach, I just feel Pittman would do a better job. I cannot put my finger on any one thing, just a gut feeling from what I see. Some people like grape jelly and some like strawberry, its just a different flavor with me.

Back
Top Bottom