| MBB/WBB Coaching Carousel: Calipari to take over the Arkansas program. [Updated with Oats statement]

UConn’s current coach
Which begs the question. Why would anyone leave UCONN for UK?

There's no difference in recruiting (both have two top ten league guys this season.) UCONN has the advantage on revenue. They spend more on their basketball players than UK.

Based purely on them being a member of the Big East, and adding their location, it seems to me there were be more NIL opportunities: better ones as well.

There's no difference in recruiting (both have two top ten league guys this season.) UCONN has the advantage on revenue. They spend more on their basketball players than UK.

Based purely on them being a member of the Big East, and adding their location, it seems to me there were be more NIL opportunities: better ones as well.

CDH has his dream job.

I remember when Cal was at Memphis. His recruiting reach wasn't different than it has been in Lexington but he academic aspect? Two different rules.

Recruiting in that area is dirty: always has been.

To me this seems like Cal reverting to the past instead of adapting to what the game has become over the last few years: on and off the court.

Does he take the lazy way to rebuild the UArk roster?

A lifetime contract.. they was stupid enough to offer such to Cal..

Dillingham and Sheppard have both been projected as top ten guys.
Yes, likely 2 this year. But 2023 and 2021 were the first years since he’s been at Kentucky that he’s had only 1. Before 2020 he often had 3 and sometimes 4 first rounders. He’s had 6 total the last 4 years. For him that’s down. He had 10 the previous 4 years.

He’s still a top recruiter. I wouldn’t say he’s the best at coaching once they arrive.

Boy Arkansas looked really desperate in all of this. Hiring Calipari is a really questionable move to me.

How? Getting rid of that little shrimp ass wipe they had for a guy that has won at the highest level doesn't seem desperate to me. Calipari may not be what he was, but he brings cache to Fayetteville. Recruits will come there for him. Muscles leaving was a great thing for Arkansas and they got a desperate USC program to take on his ego and crybaby attitude. I feel this is a win win for Arkansas.

How? Getting rid of that little shrimp ass wipe they had for a guy that has won at the highest level doesn't seem desperate to me. Calipari may not be what he was, but he brings cache to Fayetteville. Recruits will come there for him. Muscles leaving was a great thing for Arkansas and they got a desperate USC program to take on his ego and crybaby attitude. I feel this is a win win for Arkansas.
I guess to me, I'd rather pursue Chris Beard or even give a guy like Bucky at Samford a look. Why no one ever goes after Brian Dutcher at SDSU still baffles me after the success he's had. To me the move from Musselman to Cal isn't much of an upgrade.

Musselman wasn't a bad coach either. His teams definitely weren't great in conference, but he had success in March.
Prior to this season, he had two Elite 8 and a S16 where he beat Kansas. Cal during that same time frame? One tournament win, two round 64 losses, and missed the tournament in 2020. And he's 65, running an outdated offense.

You're not wrong about Musselman's cry baby attitude. His antics are weird. That said, his teams play tough.

I guess to me, I'd rather pursue Chris Beard or even give a guy like Bucky at Samford a look. Why no one ever goes after Brian Dutcher at SDSU still baffles me after the success he's had. To me the move from Musselman to Cal isn't much of an upgrade.

Musselman wasn't a bad coach either. His teams definitely weren't great in conference, but he had success in March.
Prior to this season, he had two Elite 8 and a S16 where he beat Kansas. Cal during that same time frame? One tournament win, two round 64 losses, and missed the tournament in 2020. And he's 65, running an outdated offense.

You're not wrong about Musselman's cry baby attitude. His antics are weird. That said, his teams play tough.

That would be my play. Beard at Kentucky would be dangerous.

We should tell the UK AD. Keep Oats out his mouth.

Let's not overlook Byrne is all of this. Once again, he was a step ahead with the updated contract/buyout... he didn't shelve it until after the season was over, which would have put Bama in a bind at this point. If Kentucky really wants Oats and Oats really wants Kentucky, then there is no stopping them regardless... but at least now, Alabama has a ton of protection. And I don't think (unless things have changed very recently) that Oats wants Kentucky. There is one wild card out there that is somewhat concerning to me, but I don't think it comes into play in this situation.

Let's not overlook Byrne is all of this. Once again, he was a step ahead with the updated contract/buyout... he didn't shelve it until after the season was over, which would have put Bama in a bind at this point. If Kentucky really wants Oats and Oats really wants Kentucky, then there is no stopping them regardless... but at least now, Alabama has a ton of protection. And I don't think (unless things have changed very recently) that Oats wants Kentucky. There is one wild card out there that is somewhat concerning to me, but I don't think it comes into play in this situation.
That last statement Bran. What are you thinking?

Back
Top Bottom