| MBB/WBB Coaching Carousel: Calipari to take over the Arkansas program. [Updated with Oats statement]

I can't agree here. Hell, I believe Tubby would have had more success if they'd held onto him. And, given the time frame of his tenure, I'll also have him over Cal.

Cal over Pitino? Cal over Eddie Sutton? I'd put him 'on par' with Joe B.

That puts him in a tie for 5th. 🤷‍♂️
He has the second most wins in UK history and it’s not close, so that puts him second best. In no world is Tubby a better coach than Cal.

On the other hand, people who are slow to move on from some of the best ...it's odd.

See Cal and his coaching style backed up by Jimbo at A&M. They didn't move on and it force a move.
Cal’s biggest issue is he always had young teams because he didn’t like the transfer portal. Had he kept a better mixture of younger talent and older he would’ve won more titles

He has the second most wins in UK history and it’s not close, so that puts him second best. In no world is Tubby a better coach than Cal.
Except the basketball world.

Wins does not equal ranking when it comes to how good a coach has been. There's a reason I said "time frame." It's a 10 year tenure versus a 15 year tenure: both with similar winning percentages. They both played about the same number of games, both with the same number of national titles, and more importantly with five more years Cal only managed one more SEC Title.

It's apples and oranges when you compare their programs but the results are virtually the same...if we judge them the same which we can't: five more years. Tubs won at Pitino's level at UK with more regular season titles.

In coaching searches? Verify, then trust. Most of these stories can be debunked with a little logic.

IE: CatsIllustrated reports that UK AD, Barnhart, called Byrne to get him to "re-negotiate the buyout" for Oats. He was their "#1 choice."

Now, the logic test.

An AD, calling another AD, and saying, "Hey, I know you guys just made it to the F4, I know how you've done in the SEC for the last five years, but can we talk about reducing his buyout so he can come coach for us; in the same conference?"

E7uY-A-WYAA628J

I gotta wonder, is Kentucky one of those Toxic Culture schools where even good coaches would rather play where the seat isn't hot and they can still win a championship?? Kentucky thinks they deserve a championship, and maybe eventually they'll find their guy but honestly this may be a reality check for some Kentucky fans...

I gotta wonder, is Kentucky one of those Toxic Culture schools where even good coaches would rather play where the seat isn't hot and they can still win a championship?? Kentucky thinks they deserve a championship, and maybe eventually they'll find their guy but honestly this may be a reality check for some Kentucky fans...
Lot of Kentucky fans online said we shouldn't get too comfortable with Oats, because he would never turn down a program like theirs.

I wonder how toxic their boosters are as well.

Back
Top Bottom