| FTBL Best All-Time Bama Games

mhl6493

I'm a relatively new Bama fan, and I need some input from you folks who have been in the trenches with the Tide for years. I'm thinking of ordering some game DVD's, and I was wondering, if you had to pick the top 5 games that I absoutely need to get, what would they be? I realize that's incredibly subjective and that opinions vary, but I really do value your input as I try to get a better grasp on the history of Alabama football.

I posted a similar thread in the DVD forum, but it doesn't seem to get much action there. I thought maybe this would be a better venue. If I posted in the wrong place, please delete and accept my apologies.

Thanks in advance!

'92 championship came
'72 season opener, unveiling the wishbone ?? (please clarify opponent somebody)
'85 auburn game THE KICK
'99 SEC championship game
'96??? LSU game....Shaun Alexander runs wild

I am sure there will be alot more suggestions from folks that are far more astute at BAMA victory history.

but if I was on a stranded island with Wilson, these are the games I couldn't watch :D

1. 92 Sugar Bowl against Miami
2. 79 Sugar Bowl against Penn State
3. 92 SEC Championship game against Florida
4. 85 Iron Bowl
and I still enjoy the Derrick Thomas show at Penn State in 1988

1. 1993 Sugar Bowl (AKA 92 championship game)
2. 1979 Sugar Bowl (Goal Line Stand)
3. 1996 LSU
4. 1992 SEC Championship Game
5. 1986 Notre Dame
6. 2005 Florida (until the Prothro injury)
7. 1983 Liberty Bowl (Coach Bryant's last game)
8. 1988 Penn State
9. 2001 Iron Bowl (even if it is Franny)
10. 2008 Clemson (This one is growing on me already)

There are several other greats...Like the 1998 Florida and 1998 SEC rematch...but these are my favorites right now. I don't see #1 and #2 changing anytime soon.

My favorites:

1985 versus Auburn (The Kick)
1986 versus Tennessee (Biscuit/Humphrey/Shula)
1992 Sugar Bowl versus Miami (National Championship)
1993 versus Tennessee (David Palmer)
1999 versus Florida (Shaun Alexander)

Great question.

~'92 NC championship game vs. Miami
This is a hard one to get the feeling for unless you were there to feel the weight of the long NC drought, the love for a Gene Stallings team, the hate for the Evil Empire of Miami, and it all coming together so perfectly.

~'72 season opener vs. USC, Wishbone unveiled
You almost have to also include the previous year's game against USC in B'Ham with Sam 'the Bam" Cunningham - a loss - to get the full historical impact.

~'85 Iron Bowl vs. Auburn - THE KICK game
A really good game that just so happened to be against Auburn, and with a great Kick.

~'79 Sugar Bowl vs. Penn State - GOAL LINE STAND game
Again, this is the last NC under Bryant, so this is seeing "the King of College Football" do his thing.

~#315
History, and against Auburn. As a sports fan its a must see. As a Bama fan....

The wishbone unveiling was the 1971 game versus USC.

1986 game versus Georgia is one of my favorites.

1966 win versus Tennessee.

1986 game versus the Barn

1988 versus Penn State

2005 versus Florida.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJfsX2nxoLQ&feature=related[/youtube]

Biscuit's" pancaking of Notre Dame QB Steve Beuerlein in 1986...

Bama wins 28-10

LBS said:
~'72 season opener vs. USC, Wishbone unveiled
You almost have to also include the previous year's game against USC in B'Ham with Sam 'the Bam" Cunningham - a loss - to get the full historical impact.

The Wishbone was unveiled in 1971 and not 1972.

~'79 Sugar Bowl vs. Penn State - GOAL LINE STAND game
Again, this is the last NC under Bryant, so this is seeing "the King of College Football" do his thing.

Coach Bryant's last national title came in the 1980 Sugar Bowl - following the 1979 season, against Arkansas with a 24-9 victory over a Lou Holtz coached Razorback team.

When I think of great games, I think win in the last seconds..my picks

1985 iron bowl= games get NO better than this one! I think the lead changes hands 5 times in the fourth quarter (this wasnt a WAC style 52-49 contest either)

1990 Tennessee- The "high school team" comes into Neyland and breaks the hearts of UT fans. Special thanks to Stacy Harrisons face mask.

1996 Iron Bowl= Bama jumps out big then cant muster anything.....until the final seconds

1992 SEC CHAMP GAME- The Sugar Bowl doesnt happen if Langham doesnt take the INT back for TD in the last minutes.

1994 UGA Barker and Co come from behind to win on the last play (special for me in that I was part of the group that started the cup throwing)

1985 UGA Bama has punt blocked for TD with under a min to go.....Shula to Bell erases the punt block.

That Ole miss game was something else. It isn't often that you can ring up 62 unanswered points against an SEC team. Homer Smith's offense at its finest.

psychojoe said:
That Ole miss game was something else. It isn't often that you can ring up 62 unanswered points against an SEC team. Homer Smith's offense at its finest.

I was working on my car and listening to the game on the radio. I got mad and shut it off when it was 21-0 Ole Miss - went inside and got cleaned up to go out. When I got in the car it was halftime and 48-21 I think...

Big_Fan said:
psychojoe said:

I was working on my car and listening to the game on the radio. I got mad and shut it off when it was 21-0 Ole Miss - went inside and got cleaned up to go out. When I got in the car it was halftime and 48-21 I think...

As I recall we didn't score in the 4th quarter.

Don't know if anyone has posted this or not, but how about the 1994 UA/UGA game? I think it was 94--the Barker/Zier game. Huge game atmosphere, a lot of hype. I enjoyed being in the crowd for it

psychojoe said:
Big_Fan said:
psychojoe said:

As I recall we didn't score in the 4th quarter.

Ole Miss was not bad that year @ 8-4 on the season...but I remember Billy Brewer raising a stink that we ran the score up on them. I wonder when they would have taken their foot off the gas when they were up 21-0 in the 1st quarter?

1969 Ole Miss and Bama 33-32 This was the first night game to be televise. I always said that Manning won the battle but Hunter won the war.
1988 Kentucky game we cam for behind to win the game 31-27
1979 LSU game I listen this on the AFR in Germany 3-0

Back
Top Bottom