| FTBL Bad, bad officiating

bamaledge

Vigilate, et audax
I didn’t watch the game but watched every highlight I could and I saw a lot(ALOT)of penalties that should have been called on Georgia. There were probably a few they could have called on us and some of what they did call on us were iffy. How do they review their performance and who holds them accountable for that crap?

The common knowledge among all college football fans is that Bama gets all the calls when it counts. Doesn't matter if they missed penalties on the other team at all, Bama gets all the calls. Even if Auburn has obvious holding that is never called and UGA can target at will without a call, still Bama gets all the calls. I'm done even mentioning the refs as they suck all over.

Georgia and Auburn are the snowflakes of college football. When things don't go their way, it's always someone else's fault (usually the refs.) My high school coach always told us, if the refs cause you to lose, you didn't deserve to win.

It's past time for Sankey to step up and invest more in officiating and improve things. Things are never going to be perfect, but they can be better, and should be better. The biggest issue (aside from not knowing rules) is inconsistency in calls on the field from crew to crew (and often tomes, play to play from the same crew) and calls that go to review. I don't believe any any grand conspiracy like some, I just think some of these guys aren't real good at their jobs (partly because they don't get the training needed and are rarely held accountable for mistakes).

The common knowledge among all college football fans is that Bama gets all the calls when it counts. Doesn't matter if they missed penalties on the other team at all, Bama gets all the calls. Even if Auburn has obvious holding that is never called and UGA can target at will without a call, still Bama gets all the calls. I'm done even mentioning the refs as they suck all over.
Nothing is going to change until they do the following:
1 Suspend the refs for at least 1/2 of the season.
2 Fine the refs with them paying out of their own pocket. $10,000.00 will at least get their attention. As it is now they just get a slap on the hand and each conference office says….we’re sorry for the mistake.

Nothing is going to change until they do the following:
1 Suspend the refs for at least 1/2 of the season.
2 Fine the refs with them paying out of their own pocket. $10,000.00 will at least get their attention. As it is now they just get a slap on the hand and each conference office says….we’re sorry for the mistake.
Do you think the replacement refs who would be filling in for a half of a season would be any better? If you were subject to being penalized more than your salary for a job, would you do that job or go elsewhere?

I agree the missed offensive holding and the inconsistent pass interference calls were maddening. At least the game-changing calls, such as fumble/no fumble, catch/no catch, in bounds/out are reviewed with a high degree of final accuracy.

I have an Arkansas buddy who told me Jameson didn't have control on the last TD catch in our game against them. I told him it was the ghost of the trap of JJ Meadors...
Curtis Brown's foot in against aubrun, the debacle of Preston Gothard being called out at Penn State, so on and so forth.

NFL referees have regular jobs during the week.
I'm not sure if that's true for all officials during the season. At one time 20% of the officials were full time but that program ended a couple of years ago. Here's a partial quote from Pro Football.com

Referees have what is referred to as a dark period between the end of the season and the middle of May. That time and during the summer is when they typically focus on their other job. During the season, they are essentially considered full-time employees for the league.

NFL Officials

Do you think the replacement refs who would be filling in for a half of a season would be any better? If you were subject to being penalized more than your salary for a job, would you do that job or go elsewhere?

I agree the missed offensive holding and the inconsistent pass interference calls were maddening. At least the game-changing calls, such as fumble/no fumble, catch/no catch, in bounds/out are reviewed with a high degree of final accuracy.

I have an Arkansas buddy who told me Jameson didn't have control on the last TD catch in our game against them. I told him it was the ghost of the trap of JJ Meadors...
Curtis Brown's foot in against aubrun, the debacle of Preston Gothard being called out at Penn State, so on and so forth.
I know there are going to be mistakes made by refs but obvious ones is what I’m talking about. With replay the odds are very, very good that the right call can be made unless something or someone is blocking all replay camera angles. Just like in the Auburn- Arkansas game last year when Nix fumbled the snap, picked the ball up and then spiked it. Everybody watching, except the refs, knew it was a fumble and that gave Auburn the win. It was obvious more than one ref on that field was going to make sure Auburn won.

I know there are going to be mistakes made by refs but obvious ones is what I’m talking about. With replay the odds are very, very good that the right call can be made unless something or someone is blocking all replay camera angles. Just like in the Auburn- Arkansas game last year when Nix fumbled the snap, picked the ball up and then spiked it. Everybody watching, except the refs, knew it was a fumble and that gave Auburn the win. It was obvious more than one ref on that field was going to make sure Auburn won.
May have been the worse review and no overturn ever...said there was not absolute evidence of clear recovery...lol

Back
Top Bottom