| OT In memory...

bamafan4ever

Staff
So, likely many of you have memories of why you started watching the Crimson Tide. For me, my earliest memories were watching my Dad watch the Iron Bowl and remembering him getting so pissed when the refs missed a penalty or call a penalty that was undeserved. I also remember him celebrating the big plays and the big wins that were plentiful in the 70's.

Finally one year, John Gilmer that played for Coach Bryant, asked us if we wanted his tickets for a Vandy game. Of course, Dad said yes and hauled my little ass down to to Tuscaloosa and I was done after that day. A BAMA fan forever.

We were able to go to several other games together while I was growing up. We watched many, many more together on TV. As a kid, that is when I connected with my Dad the most. I cherish and appreciate those moments spent together.

A year ago today, I lost one of my best friends, my Dad. I miss those times spent with him. I also passed along his love for the Crimson Tide to my son who has lived in Georgia most of his life. He is now working on his own sons. It will certainly happen and Dad will be proud.

Roll Tide, Dad. I miss you every day.

1708211916536.jpeg

I do not remember an exact date or game. Bama football was always being listened to or watched in my home. Remember many dove hunt trips with the radio broadcast blaring. Watching opportunities however were much less when I was growing up. During my early years into teens, Bear was a legendary figure that walked the sidelines for the good guys. He gave the people of Alabama something to be proud of.

Last edited:
My love for Bama football didn't come from my Mother or Father. Both were never into any type of sports. Daughter, Both Granddaughters,
great granddaughter. I still have two more great granddaughter and great grandson to show Bama. Please don't ask about my grandson! :mad:But I have shown them that Bama is the best team anywhere.
@bamafan4ever it never get easy, my father pass away on March 5th 1989, I still miss him.

My love for Bama actually started with a New York Jets Christmas present.
My daddy was in the Navy and at the time we were living in Charleston SC. One Christmas my brother and I got a full Joe Willie New York jets uniform. Even the pads and helmets. When daddy retired we moved back to Abbeville Alabama, where he was from. I was 12 and it was all Bama since.

My love for Bama actually started with a New York Jets Christmas present.
My daddy was in the Navy and at the time we were living in Charleston SC. One Christmas my brother and I got a full Joe Willie New York jets uniform. Even the pads and helmets. When daddy retired we moved back to Abbeville Alabama, where he was from. I was 12 and it was all Bama since.
First time watching the Jets play was in grade school 5th or 6th grade. Was during our PE class and the Head Coach much had something to do. Because he put us in a classroom and started the game on film. Then he asks who do you think will win? Most of the boys said Jets! I can't remember who the Jets played, but the field had to be clean off because of the snow.

@50+yeartidefan radio yes! First game to watch was the 1969 Ole Miss vs. Bama first night game on ABC! Manning vs. Hunter, Manning won the battle, but Hunter won the war!

First game iever saw. Was bama vs tennessee...BnW tv...picture rolled...had to fool with vertical n horizontal adjustment....then it would roll again...we all know about that...and having to go out n turn antenna thing

A electrical company in Gadsden had a Sugar Bowl party ....were going to show the hot new thing...COLOR TV.....a football game in color...Bama vs ole ms... 1963... tons of food..
only thing....
It snowed and nobody could get around in Gadsden

Me n my family walked...were only ones there...other than store owners...had all the snacks n food to ourselves..plus the game in color... occasionally hadto turn tv off and wave this thing in front of it..to demagnetize screen...i guess..??????
Mom took home enough stuff to eaton aweek...
Roll tide

Back
Top Bottom