| NEWS Tennessee lost to Alabama, but the Crimson Tide had a lot of help from officials and the SEC needs to address it - AtoZ Sports

Bless Lane Kiffin's heart...

Whether either team’s or coach’s insinuations have merit or not, there’s a right way and a wrong way to handle it. Personally, I think 99% of the time, it’s the Anthem of Losers to immediately start laying blame on officials for losing a game. There are rare cases like the Arkansas/auburn game a couple years ago where a terrible call actually changes the outcome, because it happens at the end of the game. But even in cases like that, while horribly screwed, Arkansas had 59 minutes and plenty of other opportunities to control the outcome with their own play. Same with Alabama in Neyland last year. Yes, Bama got hosed on a couple of big calls (and a big no call). But even with those, the Tide let opportunities to win the game slip through their hands.

As far as these coaches publicly complaining though, I’m not sure what they expect to get out of it more than a rally effect from their own fans. One thing I can guarantee is, Greg Sankey ain’t gonna be pleased about it. He doesn’t want stuff handled like that through the press and on Twitter. It creates a cloud of dysfunction at best and the appearance of serious improprieties at worst, under the umbrella of the leading conference in sports, at a time when he needs it to be as attractive as possible. You can bet he wasn't pleased with Heupel's response and didn't find Kiffin's predictable eye poke funny either.

Other teams are more than welcome to send in cut ups of plays that they think should be looked at closer, similar to what Bama does. Nothing wrong with using back channels to vent or express concerns about the officiating either, again, Bama does it. At the spring meetings, maybe put together a better plan for training officials and/or paying more to attract better ones and have a higher quality pool. Implement a system that has more rewards and punishments for each crew's game grades. But just walking off the field after losing by 14 and getting your ass dominated in the 2nd half, and then having your press conference reduced to a 1 minute clip of unnecessary and petty ref sniping? GTFO, Heupel and take Kiffin with you.

Back
Top Bottom