| MBB/WBB Cool segment on ESPN about Nicks' Center Mitchell Robinson

AFF

... a little backstory...

A buddy of mine (Vince) I've known since we were in high school lives in Mobile, AL. His sister Dawn who I also knew for decades passed away a few months ago. Dawn was married to a man named Butch Stockton who recently retired from coaching HS basketball at Chalmette HS in LA. Butch and Dawn lived in Slidell which is close to Chalmette.

Butch coached an incredible player at Chalmette named Mitchell Robinson. He is starting Center for the Nicks. He played for Butch for two years before going into the NBA. Butch and his wife Dawn didn't have any children but they treated Mitchell like a son and Mitchell viewed Butch and Dawn as family.

When Dawn was dying in the hospital, Vince and his brother David would drive from Mobile to Slidell every few days. When they'd get there, Mitchell was there with Butch at her bedside on several occasions.

After Dawn passed I asked Vince what Butch was going to do since he had no living relatives. Was he going to stay in that house alone? Was there anything we could do for him? Vince said no - he'll be fine and that Mitchell, now a big NBA star in New York, was going to have Butch come up and live with him. Seemed a little odd but I was like "Okay".

So that was like late September of this year. I talk to Vince at least once a week so yesterday, Christmas Day, I called him at his dad's house since I knew he and his brother David, and their dad would be having their first Xmas since Dawn's passing. Vince picks up the phone and first thing he says is - are you watching the special on ESPN about Dawn?

I was like "uh, no I just called to say Merry Christmas. I'll call you later when show is over".

I hang up and turn on ESPN and this was airing.

Her dad is 93 years old and Vince said he was weeping as he watched.

As I’m reading this post, I’m trying to understand the relationship with Nick Saban and basketball. Then I realized it’s the New York Knicks, not Nick’s.
Sorry for the confusion. I've never won any spelling bees or awards for being a great communicator. That, along with the fact that I am a horrible liar, are the primary reasons I never considered journalism as a career.

Back
Top Bottom